Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

getbigg21

Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Hello-

I am trying to convert my dvd's to play on my ipod and I don't know what program to use. I have tried Handbrake but it takes forever and when I try to put it on my ipod it says it's not the right format. Also when using Quicktime I try to export it so I can use it on the ipod and it takes forever also. I am only trying to transfer an hour worth of movie and it has took 6hr plus. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
Use Handbrake but on the MPEG-4 setting. DO NOT USE H.264.

These settings are pretty good:

Resolution 320x240
Encoder: MPEG-4
Sound: 96kbps
Video: Set it to about 160MB for 1/2 hour episodes and 675MB for movies.

My iBook rips shows into this format at realtime or better.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
No matter what software you use it'll take "forever". Transcoding video is a massively CPU intensive process. Your iBook might manage it in real time (i.e. it'll take as long as the film to turn it into MPEG-4) but I would not be surprised if it can only manage 15 fps. And that's if you're not using it for anything else.

In terms of it not being in the correct format you need to ensure that the output resolution, video and audio codecs are supported.

Chundles

macrumors G5
Jul 4, 2005
robbieduncan said:
No matter what software you use it'll take "forever". Transcoding video is a massively CPU intensive process. Your iBook might manage it in real time (i.e. it'll take as long as the film to turn it into MPEG-4) but I would not be surprised if it can only manage 15 fps. And that's if you're not using it for anything else.

In terms of it not being in the correct format you need to ensure that the output resolution, video and audio codecs are supported.

Yeah, it does on average about 23 -25 frames per second. But to encode into H.264 took ages, often averaging less than 10fps.

Oh yeah, and both are done with nothing else running.

getbigg21

Original poster
Jun 5, 2005
Okay so I was able to rip dvd episodes. It actually turned out pretty good. Now can anyone tell me is there any other program other than Quicktime that I can transfer my avi, mpeg, and mov files over to my ipod so I can watch them

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.