Ipod Video playback help!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by robhim, Feb 6, 2006.

1. robhim macrumors newbie

everytime i try and play a long movie on my ipod, either with headphones or through the tv out i have the same problem, with multiple movies.

the movie will play fine for about thirty seconds, then freeze for like 4 seconds, then continue playing with out sound. What is my problem.

These are all from converted files from videora.

please help, this is really fustrating.

2. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

I have the same problem... but its only affecting my Family Guy episodes - the only TV Series I have on my iPod. Movies and Music Videos are all ok...
    Any ideas?

3. Bobarito macrumors newbie

Bobarito

Does the same exact thing on mine. Lets it go for 30 seconds, stops for a few, then continues playing with no sound. Not fun! I also have the family guy episodes and it happens every time on them lately. I think it has happened on other shows, but I should double check that.

4. rapps macrumors regular

I Just got my 60gb video ipod and its doing the same thing. From what i've gathered from other message boards it has to do with the version 1.1 software on the ipod and can be remedied by 'rolling back' to 1.0. Problem is....I'm not sure how to do this on a mac.

Anyone have any suggestions ??

5. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

All sorted now! There was a sticky on iLoung about the problem - and it seems it is all down to v=the 1.1 software. Unfortunately you'll need QT Pro if you don't already have it. The steps are:

1) Open up the Video file in Quicktime Pro
    2) Select File->Export
    3) Select "Movie to MPEG-4" beside "Export:", then click the OPtions button
    4) Select "Video" and make sure that the "Video Format" is set to "Pass through"
    5) Do the same for "Audio", then hit OK
    6) Save the file

You only need to do these setings once as QT Pro keeps the last settings so its just a case of opening and selcting and exporting each subsequent file. Doing all of my Family guy episodes took only 20 min and that was whilst watching some TV. Each file only took about 15sec max - so thankfully quick.

6. Bobarito macrumors newbie

Bobarito

7. exeterbohemian macrumors regular

i have a 5g ipod and have not experienced any of these symptoms, even after the 1.1 update. out of curiosity (and perhaps for those who don't have qt pro), what applications have people been using to rip/create your videos? are they all up to spec with the resolution/bitrate/format requirements for the 5g? maybe it's false intuition on my part, but this almost sounds like a 'buffer underrun'. if something like that were possible on an ipod. namely, the video is too-high a bitrate to be decoded maybe, hence the lag and no sound? just a thought. this is purely speculation...

8. Piarco macrumors 68030

Piarco

My FG episodes were ripped with Handbrake to mp4 and then encoded for iPod using QT Pro. As they all worked before 1.1 it cannot be an encoding issue. Unless there are thousands of people who incorrectly coded something that worked before 1.1 which post 1.1 no longer works.... which I kinda doubt.
    Besides this seems to affect all different encoding tools from what I read on the iLounge thread...

9. emutree macrumors member

Yeah it happens to video files i converted with iSquint but not ones I ripped straight from DVD to iPod fromat with Handbrake Lite. It's frustrating and I'm hoping that fix is due anytime now.

10. Saves424 macrumors newbie

I am still having a problem with my videos playing without the sound messing up. I try to export the movies and it says "error 48" and sometihng about not being able to fit. Can anyone help me?