iPod Video Scratches

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Backtothemac, Oct 24, 2005.

1. macrumors 601

Jan 3, 2002
    San Destin Florida
    Damn it! I have had this thing for 2 hours. Really 2 hours. Took it out of the box, put it in the sleeve. Set it on the desk. Took it out of the sleeve connected it to the iMac.

Transfered one song to test sound quality. Looked down. I have hundreds of scratches on the screen!

WTF. Are the new iPods this easy to scratch that the protective case that they come with will destroy the iPod!

Anyone else have this problem with the 5g iPod?
  2. macrumors 68030

Nov 2, 2003
    Silicon Valley
    Hmm I can't say i've been able to recreate your problem. I got the iPod, put it in its case, threw it in my backpack, and stuff... I sync'd up the iPod when it was in the case, took it out of the case, listened to it, did a few other things, and still no scratches.

That being said, I realize this thing is gonna scratch easy... So i'm looking for a case asap!

3. macrumors regular

Jun 11, 2005
    To Live n Die in L.A. California
    invest in an iskin.. once you get it youll never believe you used an ipod without it.
  4. macrumors 65816

May 6, 2005
    Bay Area
  5. Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    My 4G scrtached up pretty bad in the first 2 weeks I had it without an iSkin.
    iskin doesn't seem to have any 5G product for preview/preorder yet. :(

Personally I'm leaving the plastic on the front of my 5G until either it falls off or I receive my Martin Fields 2.5" screen protectors. They were out of stock of the 5G ones, and I really only want to protect the display area, I don't mind so much if the rest of the front gets scratched a bit.

6. macrumors newbie

Oct 18, 2005
    Radtech told me (radtech.us) that they would be releasing a skin for the ipod video made of their famous optex cloth. I love Radtech, they make excellent stuff!!! Make sure to check the site out each week to find out when they are available!

Well for those who do not know what optex is, its a very fine 1000 thread per square inch cloth which really leaves no scratches at all on your ipod. I used their IceCreme M kit to remove scratches from my ipod and that worked perfectly. It includes the optex clothes and they feel as smooth as a babies bottom.

This is THE case that you are going to want. Plus, they are hair-thin so it doesnt make your ipod look like a boat anchor.
  7. macrumors 68020

Jun 29, 2004
    I've not had that issue. Its hard to believe there are already hundreds of scratches on your screen if that's truly all you've done with it.

Nevertheless, I've got an invisible shield and a BurningLove case on the way.
  8. macrumors 68000

May 8, 2004
    I Live Where I Live
    nanos and iPods scratch extremely easy now.

and for people who don't relieze how easily, dust can almost scratch the screen

its real bad.
  9. macrumors regular

Feb 15, 2004
    Now hold on folks!

As we all know the 5 gb and 10 gb scroll wheel ipods were the first to come out back in 2001. Watch this http://live.watchmactv.com/ Anyway, the original design was truly something to see. The buttons were intuitively positioned, something that was reintroduced in the click wheel model, and the thin clear plastic sheet of aparent glass was tottally like looking at some really cool art piece. I am so happy to say, that Apple has comeback full circle to the original design and now I feel completely ready to replace nearly dead original ipod.
    The headphone jack is broken and the firewire port is very loose. I have to be careful when charging or attempting to sync as to not disconnect it. Also battery life is a hit or miss, anywhere from 3 hours, to 5 min depending on whether or not I attempt to skip to the next song or let it shuffle on its own no matter the song. Also, I have to really know what I'm about to to since the Menu button no longer works. And I mentioned syncing? Getting files and music on to the iPod is a hassle since it rarely works. I have Restored and used Disk Warrior on this thing at least 10 times to get it to accept data at different points. And finally, the thing is TOTALY SCRATCHED!!!!!!

But, ya know what? I have been using this device daily for nearly 4 YEARS!!!!!!! Yes it scratches!!! The return of the clear plastic, that jewels the front of the newest iPods, is a return to the original design! I remember forums similar to these that discussed this way back then. Ya know what we didn't care, the clear plastic made the product look beautiful. And again, it does it now. Have you seen one yet? Compare that subtle touch on the sides to a 3rd or 4th gen iPod and you'll clearly see that they were wrong with those models. They brought back the button layout in the fourth and now the entire original design here in the 5th. Its the differences in materials that are driving people crazy. They are not familiar with that feeling. Watch this above video and look at Seal's reaction "everyones gonna want one of these" Its the new plastic on the front. It begs the iPod to be thought of as a true jewel again. The new ones do scratch. The Nanos scratch. But not in a way disimilar to the originals, and not what you would consider as not worthy of buying one. These aBut thats what people are complaining about

We decided back then to fall into one of two camps. Those who decided to put theirs in cases and keep them pristine. Or others like me who enjoyed the open beauty of the product and wanted it to shine through. WE KNEW IT WAS GOING TO GET SCRATCHED TO HELL. It was $400 for only 5gb. Hundreds if not thousands of these little scratches live and breath on my iPod. And we accepted it. We chose it. For those who are complaining about scratches, or reading about those that are complaining and getting scared, don't worry about it folks really. Just decide what camp you want to live in.
  10. macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2005
    Oddly enough, I have not had that problem. I Got mine in last Wednesday. Since then I have listened and watched it. Just typical use. I have one little scratch on the back of the iPod but that was my fault. With that said, I put an invisibleShield on the thing tonight just to be safe.

Furthermore, I don't look at the iPod as a toy. It was 300 buck plus tax. This may not be alot to some but to me it is. So i treat all my goodies I save up for with care.
  11. macrumors 6502a

Mar 19, 2002
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes EVERYONE is aware that iPod's of all generations scratch, fairly easily.

I do not believe the majority of people complaining expect pristine quality at all times, which would be unreasonable.

However, and it's a big however, the new models DO appear to scratch far more readily and far more extensively than any other previous model.

This could well be simply a bad, initial batch of the new models as Apple claims and as apparently verified by the [inevitable] spate of counter postings from people insisting their new models are fine.

Given the above, there does seem to be an issue here that is worthy of discussion and hopefully resolution.

12. macrumors 6502

Jan 2, 2005
    Sounds like a big problem. Can we see some pictures.
  13. Guest

May 26, 2004
    Randy's House
  14. Moderator emeritus

Jul 24, 2002
    Don't do that: you'll scratch it!
  15. macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2004
    South Bucks, UK
    I just pulled my 5G out of its little protective case for the first time since charging it up and synching it - and yup, mine is scratched to s**t as well.

This 5G seems a lot lower quality than my 3G was.

16. macrumors 68000

Aug 1, 2005
    Birmingham, England
    Excellent idea! The Martin Field protectors are fantastic. Crystal clear and really tough. The ones for the nano and the 5G pretty much cover the whole front area. They're not overly expensive so I'd rather get my iPod covered and not have to treat it like an egg.

Every iPod I've had since the 2G one has been covered in protection of some variety because they're easy to scratch. The newer ones just look more obvious.
  17. macrumors 65816

Jun 17, 2003
    Cincinnati, OH
    Same with my ipod...the second I got it, it was all scratched up.
  18. iDM
    macrumors 6502a

Jul 6, 2005
    The Commonwealth of PA/The First State-DE
    I realize people love their iskins, but my experience with them is that they greatly increased the size of the ipod, when pulling it in and out of my jeans pocket, the pocket came with it, i then had to stuff it back in. The included screen cover was a JOKE and it turned yellow after a couple months, and the pocket clip was not taut when using it so i had to resort to tucking my 3rd gen ipod into my waist band while working out. I got my new ipod about 45 minutes ago from fedex, and as hard as it was i did not take it out of it's plastic wrap and i refuse to until i get a proper case. Having to do this is quite ridiculous, my roommates although didn't get hundreds of scratches it did get a few and all he did was the same just syncing it.
  19. macrumors member

Oct 21, 2005
    Berlin, Germany
    Could the people who claim that their new iPods came scratched to s**t out of the protective sleeve confirm this with pictures, please?
  20. macrumors member

Sep 3, 2005
    Think before listening...

Don't take the plastic off of your iPod until you get Invisible Shield or a case. Geez.
  21. macrumors member

Sep 17, 2003
    Get an Invisible Shield!

Ok, so I think we have realized the new iPods scratch easily. A few people have said to get an iSkin, but I agree with earlier posts that they are not the best case. I hate the idea of taking my beautiful iPod and hiding it in a big ugly case.
    I just saw my buddies nano that he put an invisible shield on. Guess what, it looks perfect. The thing is less than 1 millimeter thick, and since he put it on right when he got his nano, he has no scratches at all.
    I just ordered one for my 30g video, which should arrive tomorrow. I guess I'll have to hold out on opening my iPod until my sheild gets here on Friday. If anybody is curious, I'll take pictures before and after the installation.
  22. macrumors newbie

Oct 1, 2005
    Have you got a link for this press release? Are you sure you're not confused with the few nanos that shipped with screen which had dead pixels etc. I've never heard them say anything about them scratching more easily. Although I am often wrong.
  23. macrumors member

Sep 15, 2004
    I just went to the website and didn't see any available for 5g, do you have a link? Thanks.
  24. macrumors 68000

Mar 21, 2003
    The 6G iPod should go back to the same form/materials of the iPod mini. It was rugged and not easy to scratch (not to mention beautiful).

25. macrumors 65816

Jan 27, 2005
    One Endless Loop
    ITS A MOBILE DEVICE not fine china. Thing should be indistructable. ipod mini still zero scratches anywhere and I let me 3 yr old son use it.