iPod Video with Linux / Faulty, any help appreciated!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by misterclyde, Aug 24, 2006.

1. misterclyde macrumors newbie

Hi All,
    I read Macrumors multiple times everyday but have not posted yet, however the time has come for me to ask for assistance.

I fix iPods in my spare time and recently got a white 30GB iPod Video that was faulty.

The previous owner of this iPod has attempted to install Linux on it. It boots up about 3/4 of the way and then errors (i can't remember the exact message but its missing a file called othello)

I thought I would be able to get the iPod to show up on my Mac or my P.C but it doesn't show up in either Disk Utility or Disk Management. (I think I read somewhere that in order for it to show up that Linux needed to boot up fully).

My next idea was that maybe the Logic baord was dead so I swapped the hard drive out and put it into a known working iPod. However, I got the same results.

So, I guess my only option is to put the hard drive into some kind of external hard drive enclosure so that I can format the drive and then put it back into an iPod to reload the iPod software.

I have one of the enclosures for earlier generation iPod hard drives, but I am not able to find anything similar for the new iPod hard drives.

So, my question is, does anybody know of a way to get a 5th Gen iPod hard drive into an external hard drive enclosure, or of any adaptors I can get that will enable me to connect the drive to my Mac / P.C?

Any other tips will be greatly appreciated, i.e, if you know of any way to force the iPod (whilst partially booting linux) into disk mode.

Thanks in advance!

2. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

2 things to try:

1. Boot the iPod while holding down the Select and Play buttons, that will force it into Disk Mode (even if Linux is installed)

2. Boot the iPod while holding down the fastforward button (if that doesn't work try the rewind button). Sorry I can't be more precise on that but I know the one of them will force the iPod's OS to boot.

If you can get the iPod into Disk Mode or the iPod OS then it should mount on the desktop and you can restore it via the iPod Updater

I don't think they're any enclosures for the 5G iPods because they have a new hard drive connection which I think is proprietary to Apple.

3. misterclyde thread starter macrumors newbie

Hi, thanks for the quick reply.
    I tried forcing it before but i couldn't get it to work - but I guess I was pressing the wrong buttons as it seems to have worked now :)

Thanks for helping out.
    Clyde

4. Benjamindaines macrumors 68030

Benjamindaines

You're welcome :)