iPod... Vista... Intel?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by stevento, Dec 29, 2006.

1. stevento macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    is a new intel processor coming out anytime soon?
    i'm getting ready to buy another computer and i dont want to buy one and another comes out 2 seconds later (like i did with this macbook).

so are they going to update the intel processor anytime soon?

also when vista comes out and they start shipping hp computers with it, will that be the end or will updates follow a month later.

iPod. this gen i want. but i again i dont want it if its going to be obselete it a month.

so does anyone have any insight into this?
  2. emptyCup macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2005
    There will surely be updates to everything in the future, but as long as the device still does what you bought it to do it will not be not obsolete. I do not see much discussion of new processors being released soon so I suppose nothing is imminent. Wait the two weeks until MacWorld.

Always needing the latest and greatest is a losing proposition. Learn to be content in your choices. Best wishes.
  3. PYR0M310N macrumors 6502a

Aug 29, 2006
    have a look here at what you want to buy
  4. Shadow macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom
    Theres always going to be something thats better and newer than what you have. Be happy with what you have got and stop worrying!
  5. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Nov 3, 2005
    Vista will actually be on machines from the end of January, so if you buy then you will get it.
  6. Hertog macrumors member

Aug 27, 2005
    You shouldn't wait forever, but in this case, wait a week.

First of all, as others have said: there will always be something better waiting around the corner, so there is always a reason to wait another month. Apple hardly ever says something about new products arriving in the future, so there will always be rumours saying something like 'PowerBook G5 next Tuesday.' If something is exactly what you want and worth the price asked, buy it now. Otherwise you can wait forever.

That being said, in a little more then a week from now the MacWorld exhibition in San Fransisco starts, wich has traditionally been one of the mayor 'launch moments' for Apple. Steve Jobs is going to giva a keynote speech on the 9th of January, and will probably launch some new products at that time. So, at this moment, it is probably wise to wait a week and a half :)
  7. stevento thread starter macrumors 6502

Dec 10, 2006
    Los Angeles
    oh no i'm not buying another mac, that's for sure.
    i'll hold off for an iPod.

i remember this past fall when macbook blacks came out they had
    512 ram, 60 gb hard drive, core duo.
    now they ahve
    1G ram standard, 120 GB standard, Core 2 Duo... for the same price.
  8. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    There will always be price drops or significant upgrades with the same price tag. I remember buying my eMac (700Mhz G4, CDRW, 128 RAM, 40 Gb HD) at 999 $, and now for the same price I can get an iMac that's a gazillion times faster and better. My example is a bit drastic, but it shows my point.

As for your iPod buy, wait 'till MacWorld :) You might be pleasantly surprised!
  9. clevin macrumors G3

Aug 6, 2006
    intel update its chip every 18 months (or shorter? i forgot), so you know you never get a top cpu for more than that time.

ipod, i would suggest you wait, apple should have better plan since the competition is just getting a little bit bigger, ipod has been pretty much same for too long, its time for a big change...
  10. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

Aug 14, 2006
    Obsolescence is when an object is no longer wanted even though it is still in good working order. Thus, even if the product works, it may still be obsolete. However, no Apple product you purchase today will be obsolete for at least one or two years.