iPod volume problems....

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Sdashiki, Dec 8, 2006.

1. Sdashiki macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    Strange volume problems which I believe not to have anything to do with the volume limiter or any of that...

I gots an iPod mini and just recently I added some newly ripped songs to it by simply adding them to the playlist I have sync to my iPod.

when im listening to my iPod, the songs I had on there before adding the new stuff, sounds like they always should, if I max out the volume its loud but its not LOUD!

when the next song that comes on happens to be a newly added song, IT IS SO LOUD I CANT BELIEVE IT.

I have to turn the volume down to about 1/3 full as compared to my more normal 3/4 full.

I reset the iPod, updated it, scrapped the playlist and started over again.

same problem.

these new songs, just play LOUD, which is annoying cuz I like to have it set to "hold" in my pocket and when this occurs I have to turn the volume up and down depending on the song.

in itunes, the songs all play at a similar volume as they should.

upon looking at the info for some songs I do notice that some have been set -8 to -10db compared to the more typical 0 to -2db.

yes sound check is on in iTunes and the iPod.

im stumped.
  2. R.Youden macrumors 68020

Apr 1, 2005
    In iTunes isn't there a setting to convert every song to the same volume level? I have the same issue with CDs that I have burnt.

Attached Files:

3. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    try re-ripping the songs. not that it will definitely help, but you might want to check "use error correction when reading Audio CDs" in the Advanced>Importing tab. iTunes says to use this if you're having problems with the audio and i would say your problem is audio-related.
  4. Sdashiki thread starter macrumors 68040

Aug 11, 2005
    Behind the lens
    its just odd to have itunes handle the -db correctly, but the ipod not.

when I turn the Sound Check off (iPod) the volume goes up slightly, but not the -10db im seeing itunes give to these songs.