Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide between the 20gb iPod, 30gb Sale iPod and the 4gb nano.

iPod
Pros: lots of storage, good value, may be able to use my old iPods accessories.
Cons: Hard Drive, poor reliability in my experience

iPod Nano:
Pros: Flash Based (no hard drive), ultra super tiny, Cool to show off with to friends
Cons: expensive, little storage, no FW

The iPod 20gb is $299, the 30gb (on sale) is $329, and the nano is 250.

Other Questions:
- Will I be able to use any of my old 3rd 20gb generation accessories? This includes the apple made case and the dock.

Thanks,
EJBasile

Addition: I have almost 8.5gb of music. I don't listen to that much of it of course.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
EJBasile said:
Hi everyone,

I'm trying to decide between the 20gb iPod, 30gb Sale iPod and the 4gb nano.

iPod
Pros: lots of storage, good value, may be able to use my old iPods accessories.
Cons: Hard Drive, poor reliability in my experience

iPod Nano:
Pros: Flash Based (no hard drive), ultra super tiny, Cool to show off with to friends
Cons: expensive, little storage, no FW

The iPod 20gb is $299, the 30gb (on sale) is $329, and the nano is 329.

Other Questions:
- Will I be able to use any of my old 3rd 20gb generation accessories? This includes the apple made case and the dock.

Thanks,
EJBasile

Addition: I have almost 8.5gb of music. I don't listen to that much of it of course.

Can't really say which is for you, but the nano is $249... it's the cheapest of the three, so if that's a factor (like it is for me) then maybe that will help.

budugu

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2004
Boston, MA
if you are looking at something for running and stuff i suggest Nano. Since you already have the 20 GB old ipod. If it is not working, and you are not interested in any running activity etc ... you might as well get the 30 GB color ipod.

mrviga

macrumors member
Jan 13, 2004
I suggest going to an Apple store and looking at the Nanos in person. I picked one up today and it is absolutely a work of art. I don't know if I can describe in words how awesome it really is. Go look at it. That might make up your mind.

I don't even know why I ever had 30 gigs of music on my iPod. So pointless. I listen to maybe 100 on a good day.

Joe B.

EJBasile

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 20, 2004
Abstract said:
But the Nano isn't $329. It's $199 in America. I think that might make your decision a LOT easier.

Sorry, typo. I apologize.

I don't really run with my iPod, but skiing might be fun with it.

macbaseball

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2005
Northern California
If you want the best bang for your buck, get the 20 gig, unless you don't have very many songs, but it sounds like you do. If you don't have a lot, go for the 2 gig.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.