iPod vs. Best Buy Service Plan

Discussion in 'iPod' started by macguymike, Oct 1, 2005.

1. macguymike macrumors 6502

I bought my 3g 40GB iPod in February of 2004 at the local Best Buy. This week, it started giving me the folder/exclamation mark icon. I've tried all the "solutions" to this issue I could find, from Apple's support pages to various iPod related forums. None of them have solved the problem. :(

Now, all my iPod does is cycle through restarts, never making it past the Apple logo to the menu.

I remembered yesterday that I purchased the 4 year "Performance Service Plan" from Best Buy, and managed to find my receipt with it. I have all the accessories (minus two earbud covers) in good/decent condition, and the iPod itself is intact save for the usual collection of surface scratches because I never did get around to buying a cover for it.

My first question is, should I be able to take my iPod in and have it replaced? Or will they try to ship it to Apple for repairs?

My second question is, since the 60GB photo is $100 less ($399) than what I paid for my 40 ($499), and does not come with a dock or firewire cable (or remote?), is there a chance they'll refund me the difference so I can get a dock and a firewire cable?

Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

2. paperinacup macrumors 6502

If they replace it from my experience they will give you a gift card with the price you paid on it. OR they will ask you to go get an iPod with equal value.

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

keep the dock n the case and return it without it

they probaly wont care

4. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Good idea, but...

Too late to try that, unfortunately. It's off to be repaired with a 3 week turnaround quote. :p

I probably should have just tried to return it. Oh well.

5. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

Ouch! Is that how long they said it will take? Here in the UK almost all iPods are turned around within the week. We even have a direct line to the repair agents in the Uk for apple, so some are turned around even quicker.

6. macguymike thread starter macrumors 6502

Well, he said most of the time, things come back much quicker. So, I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but not holding my breath.

7. caps_Lock macrumors newbie

8. MmmPancakes macrumors 6502

MmmPancakes

This is good to know. I just now returned from Best Buy where I purchased a 20gb Photo...I turned down the extended service plan with this hope that the Apple warranty would suffice, or that I could at least have any major problems with the screen, HD, or battery fix by ipodresq for a nominal fee.

I wonder if I messed up.

9. jackal5 macrumors newbie

answering your questions (and my own story re: Best Buy warranties)

Not that this'll be much help, but I went through a doozy (if that's how you spell that) with getting my ipod mini replaced through Best Buy:
    Basically, when my parents picked it up for me (for x-mas present) they also got the Service Plan, and the clerk said to bring it in if there's any trouble, and they'll replace it. Problem was they were making it sound like the Replacement Plan (which you have to mail the product in to get the gift card) so when my iPod was acting screwy, I contacted Best Buy and told them I had the Replacement Plan (which I didn't) and they said I had to mail it to them (instead of bringing it to the store for service if not repair, which I should've done).
    Anyways, two months of waiting for them to send me a pre paid mailer (which they didn't send until I called back asking what the hold up was) then mailing and waiting for my Gift Card, I realize that it was short. Turns out the Service Plan was for the other item tmy parents had purchased on the same receipt, and they refunded me that amount (worked out to about 50 bucks short). I was gonna call and complain again, but by that time I realized my error with the Service/Replacement plan thing, and didn't want to risk having them cancel the Gift Card and back track everthing, I took what I had and put it towards a 20gb colour screen model.

ANYWAYS, I digress, the reason I was actually posting is to say this:
    -with Best Buy, some products, depending on what it is, comes with either an optional Service Plan, or Replacement Plan. With the Service Plan, they try and fix it on site, and if they can't, they'll give you a new one. With the Replacement Plan, you mail it to them, and they send you a Gift Card for what the product is worth.

With regards to your second question, should they have to refund it, they'll give you what the Pod is currently worth in stores, NOT the amount you paid for it. I know it seems like a cheat, but otherwise people would refund and get a new one everytime the prices drops.

Anyways, hopefully that helps somewhat. Sorry about the rambling story, but I neede to vent that.

Peace

-J

10. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I perfer CompUSA's replacement plan better. Havent bought an iPod there, but I did buy a Logitech MX700 mouse there with the replacement plan. The mouse started acting screwy so I bought it in and in 5 minutes walked out with a new MX1000 without paying a cent. I've heard nothing but bad things about Best Buy's plans, not to mention, they high pressure you like a used car salesman