1. Ninja_Turtle macrumors 6502

hey everyone...ok heres the question would you trade a 15gig 3rd gen iPod for a Nissan Maxima 1990?...heres the thing, im a junior in high school approaching my senior year in high school aswell as my 17th birthday and i dont have a car, but i have an iPod, which is worth around 450$ with the all the music i have in it, now my friend has a the Nissan which he is selling for 450$, would you be willing to trade your iPod for a Nissan Maxima 1990? if you were in my position? the car runs great it has no flaws and is stick shift (i know how to drive it) and yes ive seen it before. Now heres another point i have, if i trade the iPod for the car, i can get a job at some place (there are no job openings were i live so a car would be great vs what a bike or the bus can get me ) and get the money to buy a 40 gig iPod..how does that sound? i mean...would you guys do it if you were in my situation?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Probaby would trade the iPod for a decent running car.

Around here you generally can't find a car you'd pay to have towed to a junkyard for that price.

3. stoid macrumors 601

stoid

I can't think of any price I'd pay to have a car that's not mine towed to a junkyard. I think that the owner of the car should have to pay to get it towed. ;)

Anyway, remember that a car uses more unleaded gasoline and requires other expenses that an iPod does not. So I would consider those additional costs compared to how badly you need/want a car. I would take the iPod, but that's because I need to pay for college and an apartment and a bike is all I need for transport.

4. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

go for it, the 15GB iPod is worth much less than the car so you're getting a good deal

5. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a

FuzzyBallz

6. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

Yeah, that sums it up pretty well.

You'll be able to do so many things with a car. New experiences, adventures, ect. You have the rest of your life to listen to music. Enjoy your youth and have fun with your new car!

7. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

keep in mind that a car is going to end up costing you a lot more than $450. Insurance, for one. Repairs, which are going to be inevitable on a car that old, no matter how good condition, for another. Gas, which is now $2/ gallon for the cheep stuff now, for a third.

The purchase cost of the car is just the beginning... I speak from experience!

8. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Why not talk it over with your parents. If they say its not time for you to have a car, then even if you get one, it wont be of any use for you. If you explained to your parents your friend has a car for sale, for 450, they might be able to help you out. If I had to choose, I know I could without my iPod alot easier than I could live with out my car. That reminds me, I gotta get gas tomorrow. :eek:

9. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    I looked your car up on kelleybluebook.com. I said it was in fair condition with 210,000 miles, manual transmission, air conditioning, power steering, am/fm/cassette. It says the value in zip code 92831 is $1,470, for a private party sale, which is usually a little higher than trade-in value, but less than if you were to buy it from a dealer. Obviously, I don't know the details of this car. You should go to the website and enter what you know and see what its worth. Around here, cars seem to sell very close to what kelley blue book says they are worth. If you would have been buying a car anyway, and would have been spending more than the $450, then I'd say go for it. Buy a new iPod later with a portion of the money you would have spent on a car.

edit: Oh, he is selling the car for $450. So, which do you want now? An iPod or a car?

10. virividox macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    450 for a car sounds a tad shady. thats jus tme

11. TimDaddy macrumors 6502

Versailles, KY (and that's pronounced Vurr-sales)
    My first car was a 1984 Buick Regal bought in 1995 for $400. Ran like a dream. Leaked a lot of oil, but my dad helped me take care of that. If this car is half as good as my first, I'd say its well worth the price.

12. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

go for the car

an early '90s nissan maxima is pretty nice (I had one) and it will open up a whole new world of freedom to you

when I got my first car in '95 I took several road trips both alone and with friends, we would pool gas money and sleep in the car. it was a h*ll of a lot of fun. I still do this and its still fun, nothing like a random road trip with no destination and no map

just think a couple hundred dollars and a weekend and you could see texas, a little more and you're in new york

$30 for a full tank , ~400miles a tank, thats a lot of freedom for very little money. much more fun than an Ipod

13. mikeyredk macrumors 65816

Insurance

Everyone hold up

he is forgetting he needs insurance to even drive that car. Who will be paying for the insurance?

nvm someone said it

14. applebum macrumors 6502

Ok - here is the problem. As others have mentioned, once you get a car you have to pay for gas and insurance and repairs and upkeep. Also, you may meet a chick and start dating - dating is expensive. If you keep dating you are eventually going to want to get married. Then you have to buy the engagement ring and pay for the honeymoon. Before you know it, you are having kids, and man, they ain't cheap. So before you know it, you are 20 years down the road and never replaced that iPod. Keep life simple - stick with the iPod and forget the car. :D

15. poopyhead macrumors 6502a

poopyhead

yep a car is just a gateway to sex and women
    its probably better to stop it now and just keep the ipod

16. Ninja_Turtle thread starter macrumors 6502

party

thanks for posting replies, i really needed them...i read them and some of you said go ahead and some other didnt, the ones that didnt said something about me needing insurance about the car and also the gas money, well i was thinking of getting a job and with the car that i got it would get me money because of the job i got and then it would pay for the insureance and also the gas money, so thanks for posting replies... :D

17. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

nothin but the truth!

If you decide to keep the iPod, why don't you:

Buy the car with your iPod -> sell the car for WAY more money than $450 -> then buy back iPod.

This is what I would do.

Oh, and remember if you sell the car, sell it for alot more money than $450, people would rather buy a $1500 car than a $450 car because the $1500 car is more expensive, so it's better! :rolleyes:

18. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

I agree with the people that have mentioned gas, insurance, and other costs. Ninja, think about how much you will be paying in gas, insurance, oil changes, tire alignments, new wiper blades, antifreeze, keeping it clean, etc. Also, a car with that many miles is guaranteed to need repairs. Things wear out after a while and repairs are not cheap. Sure you might make enough to buy another ipod, but instead you will be spending that money on the car. I suggest riding your bike or taking the bus, the bike is good excercise, the bus is better for the environment. Take it from me, it is best to put off the pain of owning an old car. :(

19. flyfish29 macrumors 68020

flyfish29

so here is your choices in a nutshell.

Trade iPod for car. spend 20 hours a week working to pay for gas, insurance, repairs, oil changes, filters, etc. to get to and from job. Work to pay the government taxes. Not to mention all the buck spent on dates and road trips. :eek:

Or...

Keep the iPod, find a tree in a park and sit and listen to music for 20 hours a week getting a tan and doing NOTHING! :cool:

I know which one I would choose now...of course I also know which one I chose when I was young too...sometimes I regret not sitting under the tree then cause I don't have time now to do that.

good luck

20. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

This sounds good. And if the tree is of the palm variety and the park is of the beach variety so much the better! :D

21. apple2991 macrumors 6502

As someone before me said....

Whatever you do, regardless of keeping the car or not, make the trade.

Worse case scenario: you can't pay for gas and insurance, and end up reselling the car to someone else for more than $450 and buy a new, 40gig iPod. Either way, you profit.

This is by no means a "Do I want an iPod or a car more?" question. This is simply a good deal, no matter what.

22. parrothead macrumors 6502a

parrothead

What if he can't sell the car for that much? It is a little suspicious that the car might be worth around $1000, but the friend is so eager to dump it off for a used ipod. What if the car blows a head gasket or transmission before he can sell it off? Plus if he were to sell it off, he has to pay to advertise it, insure it, gas it up and all that so people can come and test drive it.

23. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

Is anyone else wondering how a used ipod 15 gig is worth $450?

24. windowsblowsass macrumors 6502a

get the car im not buying into a car will make you have kids etc..
    the ipod inmy opinion isnt worth 450 so your getting a great deal you can sell a car with out insurance and you need about 10 bucks in gass(test drives are usually relatively short) and 20 bucks for the ad in the paper
    you can probably get at least a grand for it subtract 30 bucks and 450 for the ipod and you have a$520 profit

but dont sell it unless you have to yoour 17 get your first car and have fun

25. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

Well he's selling the iPod with all his music on it (BTW, when you sell and iPod, you MUST delete all you music off of it, other wise the RIAA will be afer you (but I never do that anyways, look at my user name)).

Assuming that I sold my iPod (15 GB), I might be able to get $175-200 USD; what the extra $250 is for, is the music. I know PLENTY of kids at my school who would pay me $250 for my 3,200+ music collection (the 3,200 that happen to be on my iPod anyway).