ipod vs. dell DJ - help me convince my friend

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by QCassidy352, Dec 8, 2003.

1. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    so I have this PC using friend who wants to get one or the other for christmas. Right now, he's torn. But I think the lower cost ($250 for 15 gigs instead of $300 for 10) of the Dell is going to sway him. Aaargh!

I need concrete, relevant reasons why the ipod is the better choice. Anyone?
  2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    ipod is lighter smaller, 269 with educational discount, works very well with itunes for windows (the musicmatch software provided with the ipods before was horrible, itunes is soooo much better) ipod has a much easier to use interface than the dell
  3. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    the iPod is smaller, lighter (Dell DJ is almost a 1/2 pound), and it has a superior interface (the more songs you have the more this matters). Can the DJ act like an external HDD or is it music only? Also, if your friends wants to use an on-line music store iTMS, the most popular and succesful store, only works w/the iPod.

4. Phatpat macrumors 6502a

Jun 15, 2003
    Washington DC
    I'm all about the scroll wheel. Dell's cheap imitation can't compare. The iPod convinced me that the UI is what makes or breaks a product.
  5. AmigoMac macrumors 68020

Aug 5, 2003
    Easiest way...

Give him an iPod for the next 2 days and ask him to give it back...I did it with a friend and now he is listening to his 40 GB...;)
  6. QCassidy352 thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 20, 2003
    Bay Area
    all good advice; thanks! I'd like to know that about the dell also though - can it act as an external HD? 'cause that's almost half my use for my ipod... it's a pretty huge plus, in my mind.
  7. hulugu macrumors 68000

Aug 13, 2003
    the faraway towns
    Dell DJ vs. Apple iPod

Concrete and Not-so Concrete Reasons:

1. Lighter, smaller.
    2. Much better UI, I've had the unfortunate experience of actually using the Dell DJ and the iPod's scroll wheel is much better.
    3. Extras: the iPod has games, contact information, an alarm, a clock, playlists on the fly, it can be used as a firewire drive for backup or for moving large files around.
    4. It works with the best digital music store out there, as well as Mp3, which you surely have a thousand of. Not that Dell can't, but the iPod doesn't just play AAC.
    5. I know I've already said it, but iTunes/iTMS, I know there are the others, but this one is still overall the best, the others have a few neat items, but they require too many sacrifices such as renting your music and using the always lossy WMP to be worth it. Also, iTMS has books on tape!
    5. It has a heap of after-market parts including the dock, a hundred different case designs, FM transmitters, card readers, extra batteries, car chargers, etc. More are coming.
    6. It is on its 3rd generation, at this point the bugs have been ironed out, even the battery issue means it can be replaced by Apple. And that's the downside.
    7. Dell rushed this thing, it's certainly full of interesting ways to loose you music or die at an inopportune time. Plus, Dell IMHO can barely ship a desktop without replacing the motherboard twice, what makes him think this is going to be any better.
    7. a. It looks cool, has a good mindshare, musicians such as Felix Da Housecat love them.
    b. iPod jacking, it sounds weird but people do it, no one is going to give a rat's ass about the Dell.
    8. Stop encouraging companies to simply wait until someone builds on a cool idea and then copying it into oblivion.