iPod vs iPod Mini

Discussion in 'iPod' started by jinny1, May 26, 2005.

1. jinny1 macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    I have over 85GB of music on my iTunes, so since taking all my music with me is impossible at the moment, I am thinking of just getting a Mini and switchng playlists.
    Advantages being smaller size and better battery life.

Basically, what does an iPod do that a Mini cannot. (excluding the iPod Photo).
  2. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    The 4GB mini will hold (at 128 kbps) roughly 70 hours of music. Unless you'll be away from your computer for longer stretches, I can't think of a single reason why you should get either the 6GB mini or a regular iPod.
    At least until a 120GB iPod is released. :)
  3. jinny1 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    120GB, a gal can dream...
    Yeah, I figured as much, but when you're in the Apple Chapel looking at all the cute iPod ad-ons and accessories, I'd hate to miss out on something cool by not doing my homework.
  4. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

Dec 22, 2004
    Huber Heights, OH
    my god...

my god, 85 gig of musac, how do you have so many songs, and how many is that??
  5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Jul 4, 2004
    My MiniPod suits me just fine, 1000 songs at a time is plenty.
  6. jinny1 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    I'm 42, been buying music since I was 12, managed a used record store for 6 years, converted most Lp's to CD's during that time, plus I have transfered many old bootleg cassettes to MP3.

I encode at 193 on the MP3's so I hear less compression, but at present it's just over 18,000 songs.

Having iTunes party shuffle has gotten me back in touch with some marvelous music that would have been left on the shelf otherwise.

Scary thing is, I'm still buying! :)
  7. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mar 10, 2004
    Bergen, Norway
    I have a green 1G iPod mini with 4 GB HD. I fill that with my most used playlist (some ordinary and some smart ones) plus a playlist holding the ~250 most played songs in my iTunes library. I have about 9800 songs on my iBook and at any given time the mini holds 6-700 songs. When I use the mini I either listen to one of the playlist or just shuffle through all the songs, and I've never been in a situation where I wanted to listen to a particular song that wasn't on the mini.

I think the 4GB mini should be more than enough for most people... ;)
  8. virividox macrumors 601

Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    hmm yeah id get the mini its not like u can listen to all ur 85 gigs anyway

i dont even listen to my 40 gigs

so just as long as u manage teh play lists should be fine
  9. DimaIL macrumors newbie

May 10, 2005
    Israel, Ashdod
    yo man, how are you have 85 GB of music????
    if you want to listen for more music in your iPod, buy iPod photo 30 GB or 60 GB... if you have just some music that you want to listen, buy mini...

10. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    I don't collect music as ravenously as you, but since I only have amassed 4000 songs so far. Problem is, when you die, you can't take the music with you. In fact, I sometimes wonder if collecting music is really that important anyway. If I lose all my music, I don't worry as much as I did before.
  11. dmw007 macrumors G4

May 26, 2005
    Working for MI-6
    I recommend the iPod Mini. I have one of the 4GB rev B models and I LOVE IT! Cant go wrong with a mini :D
  12. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ

I still think, even though you have over the capacity, the iPod is better. Although the mini has better battery life, I just like that pearly white exterior and larger screen. If you have that much music, you might get really annoyed that you can't fit the songs you want. Especially if you are still adding, go with an iPod. :) How did you convert those records to mp3?
  13. jinny1 thread starter macrumors member

Jun 1, 2004
    Our house burned in 1980 and I lost many albums. I was bumed, but eventually replaced the important ones.

As for taking it with you when you die? I'm not so sure that music does not infect your soul beyond the grave. ;)

Should I be buried with my iPod?