ipod vs. mini

Discussion in 'iPod' started by longwood, May 10, 2005.

1. longwood macrumors regular

May 10, 2005
    i just completed one of those free sites and i am getting an ipod mini. my question is should i keep the mini or should i sell the mini for a regular ipod?

i like the size and the battery life of the mini, but i have over 16gigs of music right now. so that is why i was thinking about going with a regular ipod.

which is more important size/battery or storage size? would it be a pain to constantly delete then add songs with the mini? thanks.
  2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

Jan 6, 2004
    it all depends on how much music you need to have with you at all times, i realize that i have 20 gigs, but the 6gigs that my mini holds is my favorite stuff and more than enough more often than not. plust its smaller package, colorful, and better casing, in my opinion
  3. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i wouldnt do anything till you actually see this ipod mini that you are supposed to be getting!
  4. wide macrumors 6502a

May 17, 2004
    get the photo. the screen is amazing, i loved my 20gig 4G until i saw the photo...
  5. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2005
    I would never get a Mini. Yes, for me it would be a huge pain to have to go thru and delete music. For me the point of getting an iPod was so I could carry ALL my music around easily. I was selling a couple iPods and for everyone who was interested in a Mini, I told them if you ever think you would like more than 1500 songs, a Mini is not for you. Just my opinion.
  6. Lacero macrumors 604

Jan 20, 2005
    Unless you use shuffle, you'll never touch 4/5 of the music on a regular iPod. Even though the iPod UI is easy to use, you'll hardly look for songs that way.

The mini just plain is small enough to be carried easily, and if you need to manage music, 6GB is more than enough to listen for an entire month. That's where using iTunes as a management jukebox comes in handy.
  7. James Philp macrumors 65816

James Philp

Mar 5, 2005
    Fair enough, but what would you say to people with over 100GB of music!? (It has been known)

Responding to the topic, if you want all your music with you, get a larger iPod, if you like the idea of sorting through your music and adding your favorite stuff only, then stick with the mini.

I have both, and they both have their uses. Trouble is, my music library has now outgrown my 15GB iPod 3rd Gen (mainly due to audible). I also have a shuffle. I use it as a memory stick that can conveniently play tunes too.
  8. zelmo macrumors 603

Jul 3, 2004
    Mac since 7.5
    I have roughly 16GB of music on my 20GB 4G, and virtually exclusively use shuffle mode. I could probably switch to a 6GB mini, using smart playlists to manage what music gets loaded onto it when I sync, to the point that I wouldn't even notice I wasn't carrying all of my music unless I looked for a specific track (which I rarely do). That being said, having all my music on my iPod means I don't have to manage lists to feel like I have everything, because I actually DO have everything with me.

If you do actually get your free mini, you will love it. If you, like me, are too lazy to bother with managing your music with smart playlists, sell it and get a regular iPod or a Photo. Either way, you've got a ton of music with you, right?
  9. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Apr 3, 2004
    Adelaide, Australia
    Firstly, I'd take russed's advice and wait until you actually receive something (other than SPAM ;) ). Then, once you receive the mini, take it from there. I'd probably want to upgrade to a larger iPod simply to get the music and some files onto it. Having said that, I've got a 40GB iPod with 55GB of music and I haven't rushed out to grab a 60GB iPod. Still, 6GB is just too small. :(
  10. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

Mar 18, 2005
    I'd say buy 2 60GB iPods. Thats what I had to do. For me it's not how many of the songs on my iPod that I actually listen to, it's knowing that all the music I have is there, in my pocket.