iPod vs Zune?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by 4pple, Sep 17, 2006.

1. 4pple macrumors newbie

Sep 17, 2006
    You guys have heard of the Zune right? Do you think it has a chance of catching up with the iPod or no? I don't know much about it, but it looks pretty cool. Check the pics below.

2. Mammoth macrumors 6502a

Nov 29, 2005
  3. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

Oct 18, 2005
    Los Angeles
    If it has no Mac support then Microsoft i **** outta luck with me getting one... :confused:
  4. sushi Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002
    This is your first post.

Gee, you sound like a troll to me!

But to answer your troll question, iPods rule and will continue for quite some time. The Zune is not an effective replacement. Too big. Ugly. Doesn't work with iTMS. Need I go on?!
  5. happy.buddha macrumors member

Jul 18, 2005
    New Hampshire
    Did you really come to a Mac site and ask if someone thought the all mighty iPod would be taken down by something from Microsoft, you really are new here.

I think that competition is great for consumers, so I for one hope that the Zune does well and becomes a real option for the iPod, if this happens the only ones who will benefit from it is the consumer.

The fact is that the iPod is the like Kleenex to 95% of the population, it is the name that they use for any digital media player so no matter if a player is successful it'll always be called an iPod.
  6. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    On paper, it looks like a competent device. Much will depend on how well Microsoft handle their marketing efforts, and how well they execute the user interface on the computer side. There really isn't a lot more to say until real hardware ships, and people get to see how well it really works.
  7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

Apr 12, 2005
    Moorestown, NJ

4pple, if you did a simple search or just looked in this actual forum you'd see that many of us have heard of Zune. we get it, some think it looks "cool," most of us like iPods more and think it's silly looking and will fail, there are 500 threads on that topic already. You have nothing new to add, and even if you did, its importance probably would not require it to have its own thread.

8. iMeowbot macrumors G3

Aug 30, 2003
    It's not a troll, but what one message board I read lovingly calls "street team ****ery".

[ Edit: since it was asked, that's an unflattering term for viral marketing or veiled spam. Marketing companies pay people, often with trinkets, to hit up message boards with stuff like this. They point back to the URL to collect their points. ]
  9. Virtualball macrumors 6502

Jun 5, 2006
    Like said before, it looks good on paper! I mean, for 300 dolalrs you can get a 30 gig iPod with bigger screen, xbox live wireless and "dj mode" Sounds good but it looks HORRIBLE! Ive heard many people describe it as the "**** brick" because its soo big and the ugly brown color. I should seriously make a module for iPod Linux that would download a Xbox Live badge to your iPod and you can view your stats on your iPod :p If I can find a website that gives out those badges, then I'll do it! Competition! haha
  10. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.
    I hope at least it takes away the "Cool and Un-cool" factor of the iPod. Because I think it's really annoying how anyone with an iPod is automaticly "cool". But then again, its getting to the point where if you have an iPod, you're just "One of the flock" And if you act cool, you're laughed at. (Not to be mean, but I like the seconed situation a LOT better:D )

I'd like the Zune to equal out the iPod fashion rating, to where it doesnt matter what version of iPod you have, or even if you have one.
  11. Passante macrumors 6502a

Apr 16, 2004
    on the sofa
    Please don't feed the Troll
  12. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

Oct 12, 2005
    I've heard the brown Zune being refered to as "the **** brick".....

Personally I think the Zune wont do as bad as everyone thinks and is hoping, still it wont keep up with the success of the iPod, the Zune's effort is too little too late.

I think we will also see and update to the iPod around the release of the Zune because the Nano line got a real overhaul but the original iPod realy didn't get than much at all.
  13. balamw Moderator

Staff Member

Aug 16, 2005
    New England
    I've been told time and again that to displace an existing product you need to be either 30% cheaper or 30% better, we know the Zune isn't 30% cheaper than a similarly sized iPod, so is it 30% better? Is a larger screen and wireless enough to offset the added size and lack of video support in the first ones?

We'll see, but I agree with you that it probably won't do quite as poorly as we might hope/guess/expect. However Apple could just be waiting for Zune to actually ship to make another bold move like introduce the touchscreen iPod or just drop prices accross the board.

14. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

Oct 12, 2005
    That's what peope said about the Xbox, I thought any gaming system would crash and burn worse than their operating systems but they didn't.

The sheer reality is as bad as Microsoft is they do have plenty of dumb bunnies who like it and love Windows and that's why Zune will sell.

I did do a few marketing units at university and I agree and understand about the "30% rule" but Microsoft have a very good established market and people will buy simply because of the percention that the Zune will work better than an iPod with Windows.

I think we will see 12 to 24 months of Zune before it goes away, for Microsoft the Zune is too little too late.
  15. abeyk macrumors regular

Jul 9, 2006
    Houston, TX
    this is an apple forum, we don't care about microsoft.
  16. skubish macrumors 68030

Feb 2, 2005
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    wasteland this thread. It is obviously a troll.
  17. f41dh1 macrumors newbie

Sep 11, 2006
    OMG! It's actually what I've been looking for in a MP3 Player. Its got Radio! But the battery life is such a let down. And its got lots of features. I think less is more, but more is too much, I hope guys know what I mean.:D