Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Just thought I would share my quick story...

I had some BB gift cards burning a hole in my wallet, so after toying with various ideas - I ended up getting an iceLink Plus from Dension USA. I have recommended these to a few people, but only just now joined the club. Unfortunately, since I own a VW Jetta (2004 TDI) I had to invest in some radio removal tools which I ended up getting from Enfig Car Stereo. Finally, I ordered a mount from ProClip USA - which unfortunately is backordered. Since I have no patience whatsoever, I decided to try to install this and will add the vehicle mount when it arrives....

To my surprise, the process was a piece of cake! The most difficult part of the install was figuring out how the radio key fits so I could actually pull the stereo out. After figuring that out, the process was simple and was also CLEARLY documented by Dension.

1. Pop hood
2. Pull cover off battery
3. disconnect battery terminals
4. Pull stereo using radio removal tools
5. Disconnect CD changer connection - used a flat screwdriver to disengage clip
6. Connect vehicle specific cable from iceLink
7. Connect interface
8. Routed cable for the mount through seam in dash plastic, up into console and out through the back of the radio opening.
9. connected cable from #8 to interface dohickey
10. pushed stereo back into place, keeping cables out of the way
11. reconnect battery and cover
12. Tested

13. Celebrate by dancing for wife showing off tunes playing on iPod to my car stereo.

Really the process was EASY. I would rate its difficulty as a 2 on a 5 point scale.

Of course, now I need to learn the actual limitations of using it this way - like the whole it will only play from the first 6 playlists and I can't seem to use the buttons on the iPod while it plays through the stereo - YMMV depending on vehicle. I CAN, however, use the controls on the stereo AND my steering wheel so I am pretty satisfied.

Anyways, I promise to post pics whenever my proclip arrives. Until then, I would recommend this method as the highest quality option for those who want to integrate with a factory stereo. Mind you, they don't support a huge array of vehicles yet, but you can search to see if they have one for your car/truck. I do know they have kits for many European models such as VW, Audi, and BMW - although all the new models of these makes come with an iPod integration option, I do believe.

Thats about all for now...

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005
Darn it, no Jeep support. I really want one of those, but not if it's not going to work in the car...:(

sigamy

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2003
NJ USA
Congrats. It is so worth it to have the iPod directly connected to your car stereo. Much better than FM modulators and cassette adapaters. Well worth the cost for me.

Another option for VWs and many other makes is to get an auxilary input adapter from Logjam electronics. PIE and blitzsafe make good ones.

I too have a Jetta, without a cd changer. I just connect the aux input adapter to my CD changer port in the trunk, then run a $5 cable from radio shack up to my cup holder. I can't control the iPod from the HU but I have full control at my fingers via the ipod. sounds great. Best $80 I ever spent.

zarathustra

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2002
Boston
Congrats - I too have installed an iPod link in my TDI Passat. It was a breeze, and I like to keep the iPod in the glove compartment, out of sight.

However, you could have saved yourself some money by not buying removal tools - you can just cut up a credit card to strips that are wide enough to slide in the holes, and cut one end of those strips diagonally.

That's what I used, a trick from vwvortex.com.

jayb2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 18, 2003
RI -> CA -> ME

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
zarathustra said:
However, you could have saved yourself some money by not buying removal tools - you can just cut up a credit card to strips that are wide enough to slide in the holes, and cut one end of those strips diagonally.

That's what I used, a trick from vwvortex.com.

I considered the same, but figured it was a minimal investment. Not too mention I could "lease" them out to other to try to recoup the cost.

Anyways, my proclip is still backordered. They gave me an estimated ship date of Friday - lets see if that happens.

I still love this thing though! I drive more than 2.5 hours a day, so I am definitely getting into the whole podcast thing now...Java Posse mostly. I also have two audio books that I got for buying the iceLink - not sure if I'll like them or not.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Hytower77 said:
I've got a 2005 Jetta with the 6 Disc in Dash. Anyone have any good ideas on that? In the little bit of looking I've done I can't find anything I'm too impressed with.

The IceLink would work, but you would lose your changer - but who needs a changer if your iPod is connected right?...Its a one or the other sort of thing. However, your radio may have a VW specific connector for the iPod. I think they started adding them in 05. Guess the only you could really find out is pulling it out and taking a look - or check your manual to see if they mention an aux interface of any kind.

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
Interesting, I have a silver Jetta 1.8T and have a similar issue. I hate wires going everywhere, and iTrip just wasn't working for me. So I use a tape deck (I know, just stop reading now) and a belkin cup-holder-taker-upper that holds my iPod. But then I get annoyed with it, throw it in the glove box and just hold iPod in my iHand. (don't go searching for an iHand, I'm talking about my hand:rolleyes: ) I want to get a new car soon, I really am hoping for a BT ipod to hit the shelves soon so this won't be an issue.

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Peyton said:
Interesting, I have a silver Jetta 1.8T and have a similar issue. I hate wires going everywhere, and iTrip just wasn't working for me....

You'd definitely like this setup then...only one wire and you can route it in a gap in the dash such that you would only see the smallest bit coming up into the mount...

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
Peyton said:
Interesting, I have a silver Jetta 1.8T and have a similar issue. I hate wires going everywhere, and iTrip just wasn't working for me. So I use a tape deck (I know, just stop reading now) and a belkin cup-holder-taker-upper that holds my iPod. But then I get annoyed with it, throw it in the glove box and just hold iPod in my iHand. (don't go searching for an iHand, I'm talking about my hand:rolleyes: ) I want to get a new car soon, I really am hoping for a BT ipod to hit the shelves soon so this won't be an issue.

You also have the option of putting the iPod in the Glovebox with most of these systems.

I considered it for my Passat, however I was never happy with the factory radio for sound quality. In my case I decided to go aftermarket with a brand / model with front aux inputs (sadly more clutter this way as I chose a model that didn't support the iPod natively).

I have installed systems like icelink and PIE in a few Audi / VW models as side jobs. Most of my customers prefer to have the ipod hidden in the glovebox or armrest (more work and wiring to do), so they can keep their ipod in their car so it can charge without being seen by outsiders. The benefit of those options is less dash clutter, and it is relatively more secure because the ipod is out of site, and the interior looks stock.

Your install all depends on what you want to get out of your ipod, or Stereo system.

Hytower77 said:
To remove the Unit, do you place the tool on the sides or top and bottom?

Also, a link to the credit card trick above would be great. I couldn't find it anywhere.

::EDIT::

Two kinds of VW radio models can exist.

1 Single DIN Model
Radio.jpg

There are two slots located near the bottom of the radio, one per side, They are vertical and should be about a centimeter long.

Dual DIN Model
b8_1_b.JPG

If it is a Dual DIN, you will have 4 slots, 2 at the top and two at the bottom laying Horizontal.

The Credit card idea sounds interesting, however you need to be careful not to break them as they can jam the locking tabs into position making removal harder. Metal tools for this task are a plus.

It is a little known fact that VW dealerships sell these keys, and they are usually quite inexpensive. I would call before showing up at your local VW dealer, and if you live closer to an Audi dealership, they stock them as well.

ITASOR

macrumors 601
Mar 20, 2005

Peyton

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2006
I have the monsoon stereo which I love, btw, you can buy those stereo release clips for like 2 dollars or less. I think I got them from ebay, or my dealer.

LuckyNotLucky

macrumors newbie
Mar 27, 2006
I'm interested in the iceLink Plus for my '05 Jetta wagon (dual DIN), but the Dension site doesn't have Jetta in their list of Volkswagen compatables... What gives?

Thanks in advance, matt

Mike Teezie

macrumors 68020
Nov 20, 2002
I'm reviving this old thread.

I'm trying to get the best iPod adapter kit for 2001 Jetta. I'm using a tape system now, and I want to move up to something that integrates with the stereo.

There's a unit at Crutchfield, but the reviews are very lukewarm. Controlling from the head unit isn't terribly important to me. I'm only concerned with sound quality.

Which unit is the best?

jeremy.king

macrumors 603
Original poster
Jul 23, 2002
Holly Springs, NC
Which unit is the best?

I still love this unit. I lost my ability to control it with the steering controls, which I think just needs a reset of some sort. But the audio quality is as good as the source media, in my opinion.

On a related not, dension USA seems to have folded. Keep that in mind if you are needing support.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Easiest Install of all...

I used to have a VW Jetta which was totalled in a bad accident, and I got a Honda Civic in its place.

The new Honda Civics have an auxiliary stereo mini input in the dash...

1. Buy stereo miniplug to miniplug cable.
2. Plug one end into iPod.
3. Plug other end into Auxiliary input.
4. Profit!

:D

presb2k

macrumors newbie
Feb 13, 2010
jeremy.king- awesome post. I am doing the same install on my girfriends 2004 jetta TDI next week. After hours of research, all of your suggestions seem to be the best, especially the icelink cable.
I have everything I need except for the mount. I cant decide between the angled mound or the center mount. Could you please repost your pics? They are no longer available. Anything you have done differently in hindsight? Im leaning towards the center mount, but I havent been able to find any good pictures of the angled mount. Center from another thread: http://gallery.me.com/pfm#100041&bgcolor=dkgrey&view=mosaic&sel=0
BTW, dension has discontinued making the icelink cable and now sells a more expensive variation. I was able to find one on ebay for $50 shipped! Get them while they last...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.