ipod went whack-o, please help!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by barnacle, Oct 20, 2006.

1. barnacle macrumors regular

barnacle

i'm freakin out here!!!
    i have a friends 30video that i am updating song titles and such for her. while plugged into iTunes i update the ipod to version 1.2 when i eject the ipod it freezes up with the backlight on. a couple resets don't help. after a reset the menue comes up and i can scroll for maybe 5 seconds then it freezes again! so,, i try a total restore. i am not sure if it freezes as well or i am not waiting long enough.
    i am trying a total restore right now.
    i edited this post after i wrote the next post so i may be a bit confusing.
    thanks!!!!!!!!

2. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

ok,, i'm watching the progress bar on the laptop, it stops. but the light is blinking indicating it's ding something. could it be i am not waiting long enough for the restore to complete?

3. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The process can take a while. If you're on a Mac, you can use Disk Utility to both verify the volume (and possibly repair it) and also to erase the volume. Both of these options might then let you do a proper restore of the firmware. :)

4. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

thanks there disgruntled one.
    i started the restore process again. after the usual, oh say 5 minutes, it froze again. i turn into a mad heathen and go to the deck for a few beers.
    i finaly come back in and unplug the ipod. i could scroll OK, and for the first time i got it to turn off!
    i put it on the shelf and am afraid to touch it!:eek:
    i'll work up the nerve to try it again today and let you know.
    thanks for any advice,, as i said this one is not mine and i am 2 countrys away from any Apple store!

5. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

heres the latest,, when i 'wake' it up, instead of showing a menue screen right away as i think it should,, it shows the apple logo for a bit, then opens to a screen. seems wrong to me. i would realy like to restore it,, but i can't seem to get it done?

6. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

I think that Apple logo is normal on modern iPods so at least that's nothing to worry about. How does it go with Disk Utility? If it is a bad hard drive, keeping it cool might help. Is it getting really hot? One more thing, remember not to move it at all when it is being restored. :)

7. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

things are not improving. i thought it was going to be OK, but then it froze up again. just for a try,, i am running the battery dead tonite and try again in the morning to restore it.
    am i correct in believing there is a difference between "restore" and "format"?
    if i try to format it,, i will lose more than i should?
    edit: what do you mean 'disk utility'?

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Disk Utility is an app in the Utilities folder on Macs running OSX. It handles hard drive related tasks such as formatting. Although iTunes has the ability to restore the firmware and even reformat the drive, Disk Utility sometimes does a better job of it. Good luck. :)

9. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

good luck is right. i'm using a windows laptop!

10. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Ooh, if I recall correctly, it should be formatted FAT32/FAT16. You should be able to reformat it in Windows XP. Though I forget how.

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

You can right-click on it in Explorer and select to Format Disk (or something similar) from there. If you get this far, reformat it as FAT32. :)

12. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

OK,, i did the format trick and succsesfuly emptied all the music from the ipod. but it still freezes and won't let me restore it? i connect it to the laptop with iTunes open, connected to the internet.
    soon the blinking "do not disconnect" sign stops blinking also. it usualy recognises the ipod and i click restore. after about 4-5 minutes, the progress bar stops. i have left it this way to see if it would continue,, nope. sometimes when i unplug the ipod i get error message 1418? anyone familar with that one?
    i am realy hoping i can fix this without having to pack it up and mail it somewhere!!

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Okay, well it's not looking good. Just to rule these out, try using a different cable and a different USB port. By the sounds of things you have a failing hard drive though. :(

14. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Sorry to hear about your troubles.

I can tell you that the Apple logo is normal under the following circumstances: the iPod has been restored; the iPod has not been used for a while (6 hours, or something, to save battery life).

If it is happening after half an hour then that is not normal.

15. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

thanks to all for the help. but i have tossed in the towel.
    the ipod is only 2 months old so warrenty should'nt be a problem,, it's just getting it to the states that makes it a 2 month long process, or more!
    looks like the bar will just have to drag out the old, nasty, cd player again.
    luckily,,, it was not MY ipod,,, mine works like a champ!!!!:D

16. Shadow macrumors 68000

Shadow

Just out of interest, have you tried the 5-Rs?

17. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

hi chrisg,,,
    oh yea,, i have been doing the 5 'R's thing for a week now. it won't let me do the last one, restore. it freezes up before it gets through.
    i bet i have reset it 2o times,, and in my mind that can't be a good thing either.
    they need a sixth 'R',, re-package for shipping to service.
    and a seventh,, replace!
    eighth, resume enjoying your new ipod.

18. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

So, here I am, new to apple and all their products. I get my grubby hands on a 30g ipod and load it up. Could not be happier. Brag it up to all my friends. They decide to buy one as well. I offer to load theirs up since I have some software that makes it easy. Life is grand. We all have good, skip free music.
    Then, one friend asks me to make her a new play list of Xmas music for the bar. {Good beach stuff by the way, roomful of blues, jimmy buffet, los straightjackets ect.} After completing this task, I "check for updates".
    Things have gone straight to the crapper ever since. I now have to send my friends ipod back to the states for repair {?} as it is now useless.
    I am still much found of my ipod and its performance, but you gotta admit, after 2 months, this really sucks!
    Anybody got this Steve Jobs person’s home phone number?
    :D

19. barnacle thread starter macrumors regular

barnacle

OK, i am making the full circle now. i have concided that this 2 month old ipod is in need of repair. i have it ready to make the suitcase trip to the denver area. i am having trouble finding an authorized service center in denver online.
    can someone advise if they know of one or how to find it online.
    the apple site tells me there is only retail outlets there or mac service only. nowhere do they mention ipods. i would like to make this as painless on my denver friend as possible by having all this lined up for her in advance.
    thanks for the responses!