iPod -- What are "Other Files"?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MadCowDzz, Mar 22, 2007.

1. MadCowDzz macrumors newbie

I own a 60GB iPod Video formatted for Apple. It syncs automatically with my MacBook when I plug it in.

The Capacity of the iPod throws me off... It's almost full (I admit that), and I don't sync movies, photos, tvshows, calendar entries, contacts, etc... I have 54GB of audio, 994MB of Other, and 223MB of Free space.

What are "Other Files"?

To check that I didn't once place odd files on, I restored my iPod and let iTunes sync all the data again. As it was sync'ing, I slowly watched my Audio capacity rise (obviously), and the Other capacity rise. 1GB seems like a lot of space to lose to miscellaneous system files... especially as it grows when more audio is on.

All albums do have artwork that I copy from a Google Image search into iTunes. My "~/Music/iTunes/Album Artwork" is only 128MB. I generally choose an image that's 15k, or 200x200.

2. MadCowDzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Coming up to a week and no responses?

1GB is a lot to lose on "Other files"... I'm curious what other 60GB iPod users are experiencing...

3. MadCowDzz thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Kainjow, I tried searching before I posted, I swear!

So running this command: du -hs /Volumes/iPod/iPod_Control/Artwork indeed told me I'm using 867MB for artwork... daaamn.

Sorry for not finding the thread on my own! :eek:

4. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

No problem, I just like making it hard for the newbies ;)

5. glowdoctors macrumors newbie

7.45 GB of "Other" Space

I have 7.5 GB of "other" space taken up, 315 MB of which is artwork.

I have read on other forums about temporary files being an issue with this amount of "other" space. How do I reach the temporary files with Terminal? Is it similar to finding the artwork?

6. .adam macrumors regular

You've definitely not got any files on the iPod (a lá external hard drive)?

7. glowdoctors macrumors newbie

Almost a good 3/4 of the iPod is filled with music, and the rest is basically filled by "other". So I use it a an external hard drive and for playing music. Was that your question?