iPod "Wide"

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dracolich, Sep 25, 2005.

1. dracolich macrumors newbie

Was in BestBuy earlier today and there was a poster on the Bob Dylan display for the iPod "wide". See it here. Now I have found that some guy photoshopped it as an idea of what he thinks apple will do. Why the hell is BestBuy displaying it around their store?! Are they that dumb?

2. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

3. Lau Guest

What, was it an actual poster, or a printout that some 'prankster' might have just tacked up?

Oh, and did/could you get a photo? Because that would be funny to see.

4. fayans macrumors 6502a

fayans

5. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

funny but apple never will release a product with "wide" just not an appleish term

who wants wide tech? come buy this is really big!! and fat!

6. debroglie macrumors 6502a

debroglie

Actually I think that the photoshopped "iPod wide" to be rather appealing. I have a love of wide aspect screens, and the smaller bezel around the outside is sexy.

7. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

iPod wide?

Or maybe "iPod why?"

8. SummerBreeze macrumors 6502a

SummerBreeze

Wow, how could anyone even think to put that crap up, don't they even pay attention to what they have in stock?

I think it's pretty ridiculous that the tech guys at Best Buy told me a few years ago that they would never sell Apple products because Windows was just soooooo much better, and now they sell tons of iPods...

9. 20rogersc macrumors 65816

20rogersc

Ugh that's almost as ugly as that diamond encrusted iPod that was posted earlier this week.

::20ROGERSC::

10. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yeah but one is PHAT and the other is FAT

sorry i couldnt resist

11. mlw1235 macrumors 6502

Maybe Apple will come out with some product in America to appeal to those of us who aren't exactly nano sized. */sarcasm* ;)

12. Jay42 macrumors 65816

Jay42

One of the aspects that has made the iPod so successful is the fact that you can access all of its functions through the click-wheel with one hand. There's no way you could do the same with an "iPod Wide"; it would completely kill the usability of the thing.

EDIT: Now that I take a second look, I see the body isn't any wider. Not only would this probably be impossible, but it doesn't offer much of a wide aspect ratio. Taking a look at my ipod, it would probably only gain about a half or quarter inch on each side. This doesn't even make sense. In fact you can even tell in the image with the "iPod wide" showing the thumbnail pictures. The regular iPod on the right displays 5x5 thumbnails while the "wide" is 5x7. Thats nowhere close to wide, just ugly.

13. GilGrissom macrumors 65816

GilGrissom

That's what people said on a thread right before the nano was released!
    "Why would Apple have a product named nano?? Its just not a term they would use!"

Hehe...but ye, I agree, I certainly HOPE they don't call anything like that! But, it's dangerous to say they never will! hehe!! :rolleyes:

14. steve_hill4 macrumors 68000

steve_hill4

I like the panther wallpaper and the new menu colours, but there should be more of a surround to the screen. If they were to do a widescreen iPod and not put the click wheel to one side, i think some shortcut buttons to the side of the slick wheel would be nice, (video, shuffle songs, etc). However, you would accidently hit them whilst navigating.

15. revisionA macrumors 6502

If you make a wide screen, turn it so the thing is the same size...

[ - ] *

with the [-] being the screen
    and the * being the wheel

the clickwheel is so easy to use, you could put it on the back and put a 4.3 widescreen just like the psp on the otherside.

$

16. Whyren macrumors 6502a

Whyren

I could see that. I think that it always must be kept in mind that there isn't a product that Apple will never do. Flash iPod...headless iMac...nano as an iPod name...you can never know for sure. They brew up the cah-raziest stuff over there.

17. mcadam macrumors 6502a

mcadam

They'll never make a wide screen like that because little girlie thumbs will not be able to reach all the wheel. It simply won't fit in the hand - unless you're a big guy. Or have big hands for other reasons.

A

18. ibook30 macrumors 6502a

ibook30

Guerilla Fun !

This is inspiring!
    If we made a polished / professional looking poster and put it up at Best Buy or Starbucks, or anywhere - I bet no one would question it! I had , um, friends, who would make their own posters and ads for a clothing store and then hang them up - very covertly - then watch as customers demanded a free sweater with their purchase... Guerilla Warfare for the Anarchist ! There's a lot of Adbusters stuff like this.

19. fartheststar macrumors 6502a

fartheststar

Newbie - total one post.

Don't feed the troll.

20. m-dogg macrumors 65816

m-dogg

Nor would it fit easily into your pocket. And we all know how Apple like to tout the "pocketability" of iPods!

21. maya macrumors 68040

maya

With LCD technology, there is a limitation as to how thin the frame around the LCD can be. If the frame is too thin, you run the risk of LCD damage.

The regular iPod line can use either a little larger screen or a thinner frame. :)

Balance. :)

22. jiv3turkey748 macrumors 6502a

jiv3turkey748

ive seen that picture before
    i dont ming the idea of a wide screen ipod, but that deign is just plain ugly

23. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Turn an iPod it's side. Re-orientate the LCD so it's widescreen. That's what a movie iPod should look like.

24. DaftUnion macrumors 6502a

DaftUnion

What the (insert profanity here) is that? It's fugly.

25. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

So your saying that just because he is new, his story can't be true?

I think its hideous. It looks so weird with the screen so close to the edge.