iPod WiFi confirmed?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by The new member, Feb 15, 2007.

1. The new member macrumors member

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

The iPhone is considered an iPod, so this was pretty well covered last month. :)

3. The new member thread starter macrumors member

no no!

This Job description is for iPod NOT iPhone :)

4. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I agree, I don't think is anything special. With that little device called the iPhone now revealed and the fact that it has iPod functionality built into it, this shouldn't come as a big surprise. :cool:

5. The new member thread starter macrumors member

Requisition Number 2884396
    Job title Wireless FTA Verification Eng - iPod
    Location Santa Clara Valley

Country United States

City Cupertino

State/Province California

Job type Full Time

Job description The Wireless FTA (Full Type Approval) Verification Engineer works with Protocol and RF Engineers to verify wireless communications functionality in products. This includes developing and running tests to verify voice and data communications using GSM, Bluethooth and 802.11 technologies. Also, the candidate will be responsible for reporting on issues found during tests, and presenting results. The candidate is expected to duplicate, isolate and debug issues reported externally. The candidate will also be working closely with the communications firmware developers and other members of the engineering team assisting with debugging of the products.

Required Experience:
    * BS in Electrical or Systems Engineering.
    * At least 2 years of relevant work experience.
    * Understanding of GSM communications systems and other wireless technologies.
    * Experience with protocol and/or RF test equipment.
    * Experience with system integration and debug of complex systems.
    * Good issue tracking and management skills.
    * Familiarity with WiFi/BT communications systems
    * Good written and oral communications skills
    * Able to travel internationally on short notice several weeks per year.

Preferred Experience:
    * Good project management skills.
    * Field support or worked with cellular carriers
    * Experience with regulatory approvals

6. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

As I said, the iPhone is an "iPod".

This means nothing by itself. Not to say wireless non-iPhone iPods won't be released, but this job description doesn't mean they are working on them.

7. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Voice communications using GSM, cellular carriers... yep, definitely the iPhone (which is also an iPod). As I said, this is nothing major...

8. The new member thread starter macrumors member

There are 2 different Job Opportunities:

The first concerning the iPhone:

and the second concerning the iPod: :D

9. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

And both with the exact same job descriptions, meaning that this is the same device, i.e. the iPhone. Whether there is a departmental structure at Apple which warrants 2 postings or whether Apple simply wants to Engineers working on this as opposed to one, the end result is the same.

And as jsw alluded to, this doesn't mean that a standalone wireless iPod isn't in the works, but since we've already seen this device as part of the iPhone, it's nothing groundbreaking or unexpected. If this device is released it will simply be an iPhone stripped of its phone capabilities, so again, nothing new. :cool:

10. The new member thread starter macrumors member

Sorry but the Job Opportunity concerning iPod have been posted days later than the one concerning iPhone...

11. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

No need to apologize, it is probably not common knowledge that Apple has different divisions with respect to the iPod, iPhone, etc. :) As you've just stated, the postings were made at different times, which perfectly illustrates the fact that different departments do not always coordinate their postings, even if they are working on the same projects/technologies together. I know I've seen it happen many times at my place of work as well. ;) :cool:

12. dhlvrsn macrumors newbie

OR perhaps they were not getting enough applicants for the iPhone and thought iPod might grab more attention. Steve made it very clear that the iPhone was the widescreen iPod. Three in one device.

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Precisely. If there is a "WiFi Touchscreen iPod" being worked on or soon to be released, it will simply be an iPhone without the phone functionality. ;)

14. Phobophobia macrumors 6502

Steve never said iPhone was "the" widescreen iPod. He said it was "a" widescreen iPod.