Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Okay, well I bought myself a 5th Gen iPod about 2 weeks ago because my 3rd gen was full.

My iPod has worked fine until now. When I plug it in a message comes up in iTunes saying
The iPod "Wesley's iPod" cannot be updated. An unknown Error Occurred (-208.)

So any new songs, photos, videos that I have, I cant add to the iPod.
Help?

Also, is there anything I can buy to get rid of scratches?
I have 2 large ones on the screen and it looks like the screen is wet, however its just scratches, and it's really annoying.

-Wes

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Will it let you restore the firmware with the iPod Software Updater?

Error -208 is generally for wrong or corrupt file formats from memory. Have you got any corrupt AIFF or AIFF-C files stored in iTunes or on the iPod?

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Apply the updater and ask it to blat the iPod first. This will completely replace the iPod operating system and then resync all your songs back on again. Might take you half an hour to put the songs back on, but you'll be bang up to date and there won't be any lingering problems from the previous version of the iPod system.

Watch the track sync in that little iTunes window like a hawk so if you get the error again, you have a chance of spotting the track it occurred on. Simplest thing is to dump the offending track and re-rip it to get a nice new shiny version of it.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Marky_Mark said:
Apply the updater and ask it to blat the iPod first. This will completely replace the iPod operating system and then resync all your songs back on again. Might take you half an hour to put the songs back on, but you'll be bang up to date and there won't be any lingering problems from the previous version of the iPod system.

Alright I will try.

And It will take about 2 hours to fill.
I forgot, I had a problem before where my computer wouldint read my iPod, so I called up apple, they said to restore it, I did. Then when I put the songs back on it took 2-2.5 hours.

Anyway I'll try.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, select View Options from the Edit menu and select Kind. Then sort by Kind by clicking on it at the top of iTunes. Now, scroll down until you see all the AIFF tunes, it has to be one of these (assuming I'm right about the error code and it's not an iTunes-specific code). If it's not too much trouble, remove them from the library and then try resyncing your iPod, it may require another restore.

Alternatively, but less sure-fire, select to Convert the AIFF files from the Advanced menu. Sometimes I've managed to overcome corrupted files simply by converting them. Other times, converting a bunch of files has shown me the culprit because it ends up as a 15 second silent track (sort by time to find). Good luck with it all. :)

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
mad jew said:
Well, select View Options from the Edit menu and select Kind. Then sort by Kind by clicking on it at the top of iTunes. Now, scroll down until you see all the AIFF tunes, it has to be one of these (assuming I'm right about the error code and it's not an iTunes-specific code). If it's not too much trouble, remove them from the library and then try resyncing your iPod, it may require another restore.

Alternatively, but less sure-fire, select to Convert the AIFF files from the Advanced menu. Sometimes I've managed to overcome corrupted files simply by converting them. Other times, converting a bunch of files has shown me the culprit because it ends up as a 15 second silent track (sort by time to find). Good luck with it all. :)

Tryed that.
Still give me the same message.
The AIFF file was a song I mixed, but anwyay I delited it. Then restored the iPod, and tryed again, and it gives me the same message.

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
Okay I started to put the songs back onto my iPod at 7:30.. It just finished now at 12:05 4 and a half hours!!!. However I unpluged it, then pluged it... and I got the same message. Also, my photo's were not added.

spinne1

macrumors 6502a
DJMastaWes said:
Okay I started to put the songs back onto my iPod at 7:30.. It just finished now at 12:05 4 and a half hours!!!. However I unpluged it, then pluged it... and I got the same message. Also, my photo's were not added.

One way to check whether it is a corrupt file or iTunes itself is to download iTunes Library Manager, run it, create a new library called "test" or something, delete all but one or two songs (BUT SAY NO WHEN IT ASKS IF YOU WANT TO MOVE THEM TO THE TRASH), then sync it. If it goes well, keep trying groups of songs (by adding them to your library) until you isolate the group that contains the corrupt song or songs. When that happens, delete all songs except the newly added group, then narrow the group down until you can pin the corrupt file(s) down.

As for your sync time, it sounds like you are using USB 1.1 instead of 2.0. I don't know how fast a typical Mac will sync even with 2.0 though so I'm not sure how fast it SHOULD go.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
spinne1 said:
As for your sync time, it sounds like you are using USB 1.1 instead of 2.0. I don't know how fast a typical Mac will sync even with 2.0 though so I'm not sure how fast it SHOULD go.

It takes me roughly forty minutes to transfer about 35GB from memory.

An alternative to downloading iTunes Library Manager would be to transfer playlists one at a time until you work out what the corrupt file is (assuming that's the problem). You can set the iPod to automatically sync certain playlists rather than the whole library in the iTunes Preferences.

Have you tried deleting the two iPod preference files? :)

Marky_Mark

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2005
UK
Marky_Mark said:
Had a quick hunt around on the Apple forums and there are a ton of broken links...anyway, it looks like my previous post was a bum steer. This thread may help instead:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=816874&#816874

Following this to it's logical conclusion - make sure you upgrade to the latest version of iTunes if you haven't already done so (6.0.2)

Did you check out my amended post from above? This points towards computer authorisation being a possible culprit...

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
ITS A PHOTO!
I put the 'Update all photos" option on.
And I got the -208 error. Then i turned it off, and i didint get an error.
so, knowing its a photo.. What do I do?

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
A photo, how strange.

Maybe just sync certain albums, adding a new one each time until you get the error. Then you'll know which album it's in. Continued trial and error perhaps? :eek:

DJMastaWes

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jan 14, 2006
Montreal, Quebec
mad jew said:
A photo, how strange.

Maybe just sync certain albums, adding a new one each time until you get the error. Then you'll know which album it's in. Continued trial and error perhaps? :eek:

Okay, i tryed with every photo, 1 by 1, and i get he error.
I had the photo's on there whn i first got the iPod.. so.

mad jew

Moderator emeritus
Apr 3, 2004
Adelaide, Australia
Well, I'm stuck. You've restored the firmware countless times, you've had trouble losing songs and now you're getting misleading errors from corrupt photos. Apart from perhaps rebuilding your iPhoto library and deleting all the iPod preferences (two files named com.apple.iPod.plist), I really don't know what to do. :eek:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.