iPod Windows

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by topicolo, Oct 27, 2002.

1. topicolo macrumors 68000

Jun 4, 2002
    Ottawa, ON
    Here's something I've been wondering about for the last week or so:

I want an ipod (probably the 10giger) but it will have to be a pc version because my mac duo 2300 is too old to have firewire ports. The problem is that I may get a new powerbook by the end of next year and I'd like the ipod to be compatible with that as well. Is the only difference between the windows and mac versions of the ipod the bundled software?
    If so, can't I just download itunes and the ipod drivers for mac once I get the powerbook, or is there some fundamental hardware difference between the two ipods? (disk format? NTFS/FAT32/HFS+?)
  2. funkywhat2 macrumors 6502a

Jul 14, 2002
    there is another trhread like this one, but i am too lazy to find it.

i would say , if you are going to get a powerbook, get the mac one and usesomething like xplay (no, i've never used it). the windows ipod it FAT32 formatted, whereas the Mac one is HFS+ formated, so you can use one with the other.
  3. madamimadam macrumors 65816

Jan 3, 2002
    You should think of it in the basic parts

The iPod is just a hard drive with a fancy case and some head phones (to simplify the matter anyway) so you can even go into the Disc utility and format the iPod to whatever format you could any other hard drive.

If you get the PC one you can just mount it on your PowerBook later and format it in HFS+ or just leave it as a PC drive and use it that way... it should not matter.

The difference, though, is really in the plug. The PC version comes with an adaptor for those crummy 4P plugs while the Mac version comes only with the 6P plug.

I say get the PC one and then you will have full PC ability and full Mac ability
  4. MacBandit macrumors 604

Aug 9, 2002
    Springfield, OR (Home of the Simpsons)