Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TEG

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
With all the speculation surrounding the ever impending iPod update. I figured it would be nice if people could list their wishes for iPod enhancements. Mine are listed below...

My iDeal Enhancements;

Add 40GB, and keep 5GB available.
$150 Price Drop.
Wireless Headphones and Remote
FM Reciever (AM too if possible)
FM Transmitter (For those of us without a tape deck for our car).
Allow Pictures/Logos to be engraved on back of case, instead of just text.
Camera Attachment optional
Noise Cancelling Headsets.

What are your Wishes??

TEG

Anne

macrumors member
Oct 11, 2002
1. Radio receiver (so it is really an all in one audio device and complete replacement for my walkman).
2. Because of the nature of discussion and help boards, I'm still not sure whether there really is a widespread battery problem or if it's just a tiny percentage of people who are rightfully very vocal about their problem. But if there really is a widespread flaw in the design of the ipod regarding batteries, I'd love to see it fixed. How's that for a nebulous wishlist item? :p
3. I'd be happy with a $100 price drop across the board. I think that's a reasonable amount to hope for, assuming that they introduce higher capacity models. (With that price drop I will buy a 10 or maybe even a 20, instead of a 5).

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Easy to Please

Software:
More Bass

3-7 band EQ

Stand-alone playlist creation

Hardware:
Firewire port on side or bottom (allowing charging cradles)

FM Transmission (while you're at it but not crucial)

Aluminum not stainless steel, come on you can't even touch the thing.

Solid state wheel across the board

Now, I thought the colored iMacs where ghoulish, Ipods are a different story. I like the current look, but every now and then I could go for the jaguar skin.

vanillamike

macrumors regular
Jan 7, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Hmm I like this thread a wish list with no bashing, I hope it stays this way :)

1) Firmware upgrade to allow .aac playback: I may not use it now, but you have to think long term.

2) FM transmitter/ In line Mic: even if it worked like the Creative Zen's which is a microphone/fm receiver attachment

3) $100 US price drop across the board: I think that is standard practice when a higher capacity model comes through, but I sure hope it happens.

4) Firewire 400 & 800: This is controversial I know, but I figure if in three years I will be buying a new system with FW800. Kind of like how some players have USB and FW on them, but instead this one would have FW400 and FW800 just to make everyone happy :) and yes I realize the hard drive is not fast enough to need FW800.

5) The slim 20GB model: I have seen how slim the 10GB model is, I would be so happy if the 20GB was just as slim (since it is what i am going to buy)

Cheers,
Mike

segastyle

macrumors member
Feb 8, 2002
Bethesda, MD
I'd rather they go back to the moveable wheel. i love it on my 5GB ipod. I've tried the newer ones with a solid state wheel and it's no where near as responsive. If you go to fast it loses track. I have the same issue with the Kensingtion Studio Mouse and it's solid state scroll wheel.

The only positive I see to the solid state wheel for the ipod is it allows fro a trimmer form factor.

FelixDerKater

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2002
Nirgendwo in Amerika
They should keep the 5GB model as a low-cost option for those who want a quality MP3 player, but don't want to spend $400-500 for the extra space they won't use.

Depending on the pricing of the 40GB iPod, I will get either that or the new 20GB model to replace my 5 GB iPod so I can keep my music and data backups all in one place.

With the thinner 20GB drive that Toshiba has designed, the 20GB iPod should lose a bit of its thickness.

TEG

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
I really like the Idea of ACC Playback, but currently its not a priority. However as soon as iTunes 4 is out, it will be. About the battery, I've heard about it from many people, and its like Notebook battery times, its what you are doing that causes the reduced time. However I would like to see 14+ Hour Batteries, or interchangable batteries so we can swap them on the fly. I also agree about the FW800, but as of yet only two machines have it, and the consumers/PCs probabily not have them for some time, so maybe in a few revisions. I also like the idea for Alumin(i)um instead of Stainless Steel, but chrome would be even better. Perhaps an "All Medal iPod" it would look sweet and go great with my TiBook.

Something I just came up with.

Solar Recharging Adapter (3rd Party?)
Car/Air Power Adaper

TEG

MacUser1

macrumors 6502
Aug 23, 2001
New York, NY
Re: Easy to Please

Originally posted by MorganX
Aluminum not stainless steel, come on you can't even touch the thing.

How true!

I, personally, would like to see video playback opitions on the iPod. I would also like to see the ability to sync with iPhoto. With the addition of a color screen, this would make the iPod and complete portable multimedia player: Music, Photos and Movies.

I would also like to see FireWire 800, but I wouldn't count on it untill all Macs (or at least the iMacs) get FireWire 800.

I have read reviews that criticized the iPod for the lack of an Audio Input jack. I wouldn't use it, but I am sure that some would enjoy this. Also, if the ability for Photos and Movies arrives, then a Video Out jack wouldn't be a bad idea...however, where would Apple put all these ports and still make the iPod in its incredible form factor.

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Re: Re: Easy to Please

Originally posted by MacUser1
I have read reviews that criticized the iPod for the lack of an Audio Input jack.

I'm with you. I wouldn't use it. Some people seem to need it but I can't think of why i would need to record to my personal audio player. That's what my PC and Audio CD Recorder is for. If you add all these jacks that will receive minimal use, the iPod is no longer the iPod. It's the Creative Zen, or Nomad. Whicver it is it is ugly.

sparks9

macrumors 6502a
Jan 29, 2003
Copenhagen
I would like a 20+ hour rechargeable battery, which doesn't loose batterytime when it ages.
And an alu. back too and a USB connection.
Of course we need price cuts of 100 bucks over the line...

beez7777

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2002
Notre Dame
i guess a radio feature would be cool, but it's probably not necessary. the only thing i really want is a lower price. then again, the remote, carrying case, and touch sensitive scroll weel would be nice on the 5 gig, too.

King Cobra

macrumors 603
Mar 2, 2002
As long as the iPod has a rotating Hard Drive (i.e. not memory based), there will most likely be no audio input into the iPod.

Simply put, the audio input would have to be at 1411Kbps, and the iPod's Hard Drive would have to keep spinning so it can store the audio data. That means you can only get between maybe 5 and 20 minutes maximum, even with a full charge, for recording time.

RAM-based Hard Drives do not require moving parts, so you would be able to acquire a significant increase in battery life. The downside is, however, the price would be astronomical. You would be better off getting a new computer.

All I am asking for with an iTunes/iPod update above all else would be access to listen and encode AAC.

For those requesting Firewire 800Mbps, imagine being able to transfer your music eight times "faster" effectively to your iPod. :eek:

I would prefer not to buy accessories for standard 1394 compatibility, though, if the new iPod has 800Mbps Firewire.

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by King Cobra
I would prefer not to buy accessories for standard 1394 compatibility, though, if the new iPod has 800Mbps Firewire.

im sure apple would include a fw400 <=> fw800 connector if that is what u r refering to (if they put in the fw 800, but i doubt they will). they included a 4 <=> 6 pin adapter w/my windows ipod.

TEG

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
just a 5 gig ipod. i would buy one in a second if they were 200, but right now 330 after tax is too much for my student budget

Daniel77,

As a college student you get about a $30 (US) discount from Apple.com. (If in high school, find a teacher or college friend who will help you buy it) Also If you order online, there is no tax (Unless you live in a wierd state/provence where they require you to claim unpaid sales tax in your income tax)

TEG

DZweben

macrumors newbie
Dec 15, 2002
No one has mentioned this anywhere, but auto contrast ajustment. The anti-aliasing gets messed up and looks bad when the backlight is on, and I have to lower the contrast. It would be nice if it did that (and returned it to normal).

And mp4 support (20,000 songs in your pocket...)

I would say FM transmitter, but I allready pre-ordered an iTrip. (http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/itrip)

Dave

mstecker

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2002
Philadelphia
iPod with no hard drive

How about this for thinking diffferent:

A few of these posts have got me thinking: What about a second iPod family that had no hard drive, but rather massive internal memory.

I know I can buy 5G of RAM for my PC for around $500. Assuming that Apple could somehow make a ram-based solution work, would anyone other than me actually prefer a 5G RAM based model for (say) $800 over a 40G hard-drive based model for $500?

This would allow for very long battery life, ability to do recording, etc. Also, I wouldn't worry about dropping the thing all of the time. It (coupled with FW800?) would also make a screaming external HD.

Any thoughts? I've owned a 5G and a 20G, and loved them both. Still, when skiing, I take my $99 Diamond Rio over my iPod because I don't want to subject the drive in my iPod to the g-forces involved in my skiing (well, the massive decelleration forces that happen when I fall anyway).

I sold my 20G on eBay about a month ago to open up my budget for the new iPod revision that was "right around the corner". Still waiting...

MorganX

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2003
Midwest
Re: iPod with no hard drive

Originally posted by mstecker
How about this for thinking diffferent:

A few of these posts have got me thinking: What about a second iPod family that had no hard drive, but rather massive internal memory.

I know I can buy 5G of RAM for my PC for around $500. Assuming that Apple could somehow make a ram-based solution work, would anyone other than me actually prefer a 5G RAM based model for (say) $800 over a 40G hard-drive based model for $500?

This would allow for very long battery life, ability to do recording, etc. Also, I wouldn't worry about dropping the thing all of the time. It (coupled with FW800?) would also make a screaming external HD.

Any thoughts? I've owned a 5G and a 20G, and loved them both. Still, when skiing, I take my $99 Diamond Rio over my iPod because I don't want to subject the drive in my iPod to the g-forces involved in my skiing (well, the massive decelleration forces that happen when I fall anyway).

I sold my 20G on eBay about a month ago to open up my budget for the new iPod revision that was "right around the corner". Still waiting...

If it used RAM your songs wouldn't last long. It would have to use Flash, considerably more expensive. I don't even know if Flash densities are that high yet. Anyone?....

rideahyperLite

macrumors member
Jan 12, 2003
Originally posted by TEG
If you order online, there is no tax (Unless you live in a wierd state/provence where they require you to claim unpaid sales tax in your income tax)

pretty sure there is sales tax.. the apple store guy told me there was

TyleRomeo

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2002
New York
1. BLUETOOTH
2.Built in mic so you can use it as a recorder as well.
3.larger capacity (either 30 or 40GB)
4.try lowering the price a bit

Tyler

TEG

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jan 21, 2002
Langley, Washington
There is no sales tax on any purchase on the internet. Unless you are purchasing from the same state that the "store" is based. (and only if the place does it). The only thing you have to worry about is S&H. But a student discount negates it.

TEG

MacFan25

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2003
USA
A price drop I think would really help the sales of the iPods.

If there is a battery problem, I would like to see it fixed.

scmacdaddy

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2002
LA
Re: Easy to Please

Originally posted by MorganX Firewire port on side or bottom (allowing charging cradles)

How about the ipod recognizes when it's upside down(like camcorder lcds) and inverts the screen...just thought itd be cool

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Re: iPod with no hard drive

Originally posted by mstecker
Still, when skiing, I take my $99 Diamond Rio over my iPod because I don't want to subject the drive in my iPod to the g-forces involved in my skiing (well, the massive decelleration forces that happen when I fall anyway).
Well i take my iPod when snowboarding and I have no problem with it (but I gotta take two because one iPod doesn't last enough-even at 10 hours-for me to listen to music since i like to snowboard for long periods of time).
I wanna see an ambient light sensor that automatically adjusts the backlight for you. I would also like to see the four buttons backlighted and a major price drop as well ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.