ipod with firewire on macbook pro

Discussion in 'iPod' started by ragz, Dec 7, 2006.

1. ragz macrumors newbie

I am unable to use firewire on my macbook pro with the video ipod 60gb version. This ipod is formatted for windows XP...but I want to change that to OS X now. However, each time I try to connect via firewire, the ipod says "firewire not supported, pls connect via USB" Is this due to that windows format?

Anurag

2. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

ipods act funny when switching from Windoze to mac. Try plugging it usb and changing it. Once changed, you should be able to use the firewire cable.

3. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I thought these iPod models didn't support Firewire at all. Thing of the past.

4. topgun072003 macrumors 6502

topgun072003

ah...that might be true too. I haven't seen the firewire connection since like 2 or 3 gen ipods, before color screens and photo. Have you seen the shuffle chargers!? They charge through the headphone jacks...pretty sweet if you ask me.

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Actually the Photo (with colour screen) supports Firewire. I think it was the last one. I have one that I sync with Firewire so I know it works.

6. dextertangocci macrumors 68000

True. If you connect the 5G iPod with firewire to your MBP, it will only charge it;)

7. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

Yep, the 4G iPod (all kinds) and 2G mini were the last iPods to be able to transfer data via firewire.

5G iPods, nanos and all shuffles can transfer data via USB only.

8. epb87 macrumors member

true that. i have the photo and firewire works fine. why did they quit supporting it?

9. pianoman macrumors 68000

pianoman

probably because it's easier to support only USB2.0 since iPods have to be able to run on both Windows machines and Macs.

10. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

they stopped supporting firewire because they wanted to make the iPods thinner and that meant taking out one of the two chipsets. Since USB 2.0 was faster than 1.1 and more prevalent, i.e. on windows machines, they eliminated the firewire chipset. That is why the new iPods can be so thin.