iPod woes

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by modyouup, Jun 15, 2002.

1. modyouup macrumors member

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

Do you mean deleting via the iPod itself, because as far as I know this cannot be done yet.
    All iPod editing has to be done via iTunes.

3. modyouup thread starter macrumors member

I'm aware you can't delete via iPod. I'm talking about through the computer. Like through iTunes for an example.

4. King Cobra macrumors 603

I think someone already brought up the topic about deleting songs from the iPod w/o iTunes. AFAIK it seems impossible.

To do it w/iTunes, plug in the iPod with the computer running, launch iTunes (if it doesn't launch automatically), select the iPod songs you want to remove from the iPod's list of songs, and you're done.

If, however, you have iTunes to automatically update the iPod, I think you will have all the songs removed. (Not to sure, but I thought I read it somewhere.)

Now, I have a question: Sometimes I try to load songs onto my iPod from iTunes and the song does not end up on the iPod. I have to reconvert the mp3s to mp3s once it is plugged in before I can transfer the song to it. And the process is only necessary for a few songs. WTLH?

5. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

I think you just remove the track from your iTunes libary, then "Update iPod".
    Not sure though, can't say I've ever removed a track from mine yet.
    ...or perhaps just un-ticking the track removes it? Give both methods a go and see what happens ;)

6. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

when you copy files from your mac to your ipod it makes a duplicate of whats in your itunes library

so you have to set up itunes the way you want it to be on your ipod

well I think so thats how I heard it

7. phufball71 macrumors member

just highlight"your name ipod" then delete what ever songs you want. then unmount the ipod and ur good to go

8. ponyboy macrumors regular

Once your ipod is connected select the ipod button at the bottom of the itunes window, set your ipod to manually manage songs and playlists, update and delete the songs you dont want. I always keep my ipod set to manual, if you have more mp3s on your comp than your ipod will hold it is the best way.

9. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, that's true if you have it set to automatically update the pod when you plug it in.

if it's on manual, then you can rearrange as desired. i too keep it on manual because i have more songs than can fit and i tend to have a few songs that i download for fun but don't actually want on the pod anyways.

10. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

So I'm not the only one with this problem! That's been ticking me off for quite some time. Half the time I'll have to trash all the music and start from scratch! I may be wrong, but I tried dragging an mp3 encoded by iTunes to my iPod and copied over just fine. But as soon as I tried one that WASN'T encoded by iTunes it wouldn't copy over! I wonder if this is some kind of lame copy protection crap Apple is trying to feed us...

11. King Cobra macrumors 603

We should go out and get a drink...I was becoming desperate for attention LOL :D

Wow, I knew there was someone with the same problems I have! :)

Again, this has happened to me some of the time. But other times the song transfers get f!!!!d up.

All the songs I have should be iTunes ready. I guess the iPod only recognizes mp3s that can be opened by iTunes via a software code or something (not sure on this).

I hate to quote everything you said as a few others here do, but I have such varied opinions about each one basically that I need to state. I don't this is supposed to be protection crap, since some of us are d!!!!!!!!!g songs anyways. Apple would have had to something about it right then and there if song transfer had to be via iTunes.

So, does anyone know how to get around doing this instead of reconvertions?

12. ponyboy macrumors regular

I have never had this problem but every song I have came in through itunes so......

13. buffsldr macrumors 6502a

buffsldr

Here's a tip.
    I have songs in iTunes that I dont want on my iPod. I don't want to delete them from my comp, so what to do? (Is this your question?)

Solution:
    1. Create a playlist.
    2. Put your entire music library in the new playlist.
    3. From the iPod options in iTunes, select the "Update Selected Playlists"only.
    4. Be sure you have selected the playlist you created in step 1.

Now you should be able to delete songs from that playlist and still keep them on your comp.

Note: You can also select other playlists as well.