iPod wont charge with original chargers/AC adapter, but will with 3rd party one...

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Argelius, Oct 21, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

Argelius

I have a 3rd gen iPod I haven't used in a while that I just sold on eBay. In preparing to ship it to the buyer, I found that I can't get it to charge at all using either of two different original chargers and cables.

I have a 3rd party charger (with a retractable cable) that worked fine. After an overnight charge, all seems okay with the iPod.

However, still, when I plug in the original cable and charger (AC adapter), there is no indication it is charging (i.e. no charging icon).

The cable I am using to connect the charger to the iPod works fine for connecting to my computer via USB for song transfers, so I don't think the cable is the problem.

Also, since neither of two chargers work, I'm thinking it's not that...

Any ideas?

2. macrumors regular

Do you have another iPod to check the two charges with? It's very possible that they're both dead!

3. thread starter macrumors 6502

Argelius

Actually, that's the one piece of troubleshooting I failed to mention. I've tried the chargers on a different iPod, and they work fine...

4. macrumors 6502a

rosalindavenue

I dont know if anyone has a 5th gen (video capable) ipod, but I was wondering if the charger for my 3G will work with it-- I had assumed it would; the connector is the same.