Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple!Freak

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 11, 2005
East Coast
I'm having trouble with the voice memo recording feature on my 20GB iPod color. Using the iTalk I record voice memos which show as recorded in the log, but when I hit play it automatically switches back to the voice memo menu as though I hit menu and not play.

This keeps happening and it's vital I solve this in the next day or so for a very important conference I need to record on Monday.

Any ideas?

MmmPancakes

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2005
Austin, TX
Apple!Freak said:
I'm having trouble with the voice memo recording feature on my 20GB iPod color. Using the iTalk I record voice memos which show as recorded in the log, but when I hit play it automatically switches back to the voice memo menu as though I hit menu and not play.
Any ideas?

Have you tried syncing with iTunes to see if it will play there? If that doesn't work and you need to play the memo off of your iPod, try running iPod updater. Post the results here when you completed these steps.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Wow, man.

You have had a lot of problems lately...ever try reading the directions?

You have to plug in the iPod to iTunes, have the voice memos transferred over and then synced back. From my experience, you can't immediately play back voice memos...

Wait...try going to music>playlists to see if they show up right away. If not, then ya gotta do what I recommended above.

Oh, and get some PATIENCE.

bluebomberman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2005
Queens, NYC
I got the same problem

I also found out a few days ago that my iPod can't consistently play back voice memos until I sync it with my computer. Resetting the drive and using disk utility did nothing. My success rate is about 50%.

It's weird. I guess I never really had the need to play back voice memos before docking my iPod to my computer until this past week, so I never noticed the problem.

ralphbu

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2005
Is there a solution to the voice memo playback bug?

Weird answer below. Nowhere in the literature, or in the software, does it mention you can't usually play back without syncing it to a computer. In many cases, this would render the whole thing useless. For example, Griffin says you can use the iTalk to jot down a grocery list on the way home from work. Right, and then go sync it to your computer, get back in the car and go out to the grocery store? This is obviously a bug, not a feature—patience is not the correct answer. So, has anybody found a way to fix this bug?

appleretailguy said:
You have had a lot of problems lately...ever try reading the directions?

You have to plug in the iPod to iTunes, have the voice memos transferred over and then synced back. From my experience, you can't immediately play back voice memos...

Wait...try going to music>playlists to see if they show up right away. If not, then ya gotta do what I recommended above.

Oh, and get some PATIENCE.

BlueTardis

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2005
Sydney, AUSTRALIA
ralphbu said:
Weird answer below. Nowhere in the literature, or in the software, does it mention you can't usually play back without syncing it to a computer. In many cases, this would render the whole thing useless. For example, Griffin says you can use the iTalk to jot down a grocery list on the way home from work. Right, and then go sync it to your computer, get back in the car and go out to the grocery store? This is obviously a bug, not a feature—patience is not the correct answer. So, has anybody found a way to fix this bug?

There was a bug with this and I have had the same problem. If you have a mac get the latest software updates and then sync with the computer. If you have a PC you will need to download manually.

Symptom: Voice memos record and then either don't play back or will play back for a while.

After the update: voice memos record and play back. Note - not sure the logic but if you haven't used them for a while they will appear under the song list in the ipod (rather then voice memos)

Hope this helps!! :cool:

Robster100

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2005
Okay, I have had the same problem and I am not sure what the issue is.

I have an iPod Photo 60Gb and using both my iTalk and another microphone I cannot get my iPod to play back voice memo's although they do play in iTunes.

NOW THEN using EXACTLY the same microphones with my daughters 40Gb Gen 3 iPod it plays back voice memo's IMMEADIATLY without any syncing or such nonsense.

I have no idea why these 2 iPods are giving such different results but they are cosistent no matter how many times I have tried.

Robin

draftech

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2005
Stanwood, WA
Has anyone discovered a solution to this problem? I just got the Maxell voice recorder (P-7), and am experiencing the same problems. I cannot playback a newly recorded voice memo until I sync with my computer.

zmackid

macrumors newbie
Oct 10, 2005
Apple!Freak said:

Any ideas?

h e y ,

I think I found the solution. To playback the recorded file, just make another recording. This means that the current recording will not be able to playback until you make another recording.

I hope it helps, by the way, I am using this on a 4G click wheel U2 iPod on software update 3.1.

Rower_CPU

Moderator emeritus
Oct 5, 2001
San Diego, CA
zmackid said:
h e y ,

I think I found the solution. To playback the recorded file, just make another recording. This means that the current recording will not be able to playback until you make another recording.

I hope it helps, by the way, I am using this on a 4G click wheel U2 iPod on software update 3.1.

I just got an iTalk to try out and I'm having the same issue as other posters and the above fix doesn't work.

I'm trying it with a 60GB iPod photo with software version 1.2.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.