iPod won't sync with iTunes, and device can't be stopped?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Gary King, Sep 13, 2005.

1. Gary King macrumors 6502

Okay, my iPod seems to be corrupted now. When I connect it, and start up iTunes (iTunes apparently does not start up automatically for me), it tells me that I will have to re-install my iPod software on my computer since it isn't working. Well, I've done this at least half a dozen times, and it only works for a week or so, then it doesn't work again, anymore.

Also, when I connect my iPod, I cannot stop the device (using the "Safely Remove Hardware" dialog). I have to restart my computer to remove my iPod.

And finally, when I turn my iPod on, I have to wait about a minute before I can turn it off. If I try turning it off before a minute, it doesn't turn off.

How do I fix these?

Thanks!

2. jsw Moderator emeritus

jsw

Perhaps I can help with one of the issues:

When your iPod is connected and iTunes has been opened, when you right (or control) click on the iPod icon, you should be able to go to the "iPod Options..." dialog.

In there, in the "Music" pane, select "Open iTunes when this iPod is attached" and deselect "Enable disk use".

That might help....

3. surfordie macrumors newbie

fix-

I recently had the same problem with my 4th gen 40gig. After checking and trying all the options apple gave me online, I took it to a Genius and although it was a few weeks out of the year warranty, they gave me a new one from the back with no problems or fees. If there isn't an Apple store in you area, I think it's a 30$ s/h fee but you'll most likely get the same result. Good luck.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Another potential solution would be to delete the iPod PLIST file on your Mac. Do a quick search for the file com.apple.iPod.plist and place it in the trash. You don't have to delete it if you don't want to, placing it in the trash will have the same effect. :)

5. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

I've written in my forum signature that my iTunes is on my Windows and not on Mac :)

6. Gary King thread starter macrumors 6502

This is probably my best bet. I don't mind losing everything on my iPod, since I already have the files on my computer. :)

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Very good point. I really should have picked it up from the title anyway. I just need more coffee. Well, maybe try formatting your iPod on the mini and then taking it back to the PC and formatting it again. It probably won't work but it's worth a try. :)