iPod world power adaptor

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by drewzer987, Jun 30, 2004.

1. macrumors newbie

Mar 17, 2004

In just about two weeks I'm going to be going over to Europe for a trip this summer. Now, I'm wondering about my iPod. I have the Belkin media reader (works great) for my digital pics. I also have the world power adaptors to charge the iPod. Now, can I just plug in the iPod (with the correct adaptor) in to the wall/outlet without any problems? I read a post a week or two ago about someone frying something in Sweden or somewhere... So I'm kinda woried about wrecking my precious iPod.... Especially since the UK adaptor looks like something we'd use here in the States to plug in a high voltage dryer or stove or something :p . I'm staying in the UK, France, Switzerland, Austria, Germany. Is there anything else I should know? Thanks in advance...

Oh, one other thing...
    It's not really relevant, but has anyone had any experience with the iPhoto books? When I get back in August, I think I'm getting a PB 12", and I thought I'd make one when I get back. Are they nice? I've heard varying reports. :rolleyes:
  2. macrumors G4

Jan 20, 2004
    looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yup! The iPod powerbrick will sort out all the voltages. I've charged my UK iPod in Germany, Spain, Netherlands, France, US etc etc and it's still quite happily working.

There are hysterical media reports in some cities about not wearing iPod earphones in dodgy areas but I guess that's common the world over and as a tourist, you should be avoiding those places anyhow!

Enjoy your trip!
  3. Guest

Jun 3, 2002
    I beleive you can buy the various adaptors from apple or get one of those world travel adaptors. The UK Plugs HAVE to have 3 pin's to work and the plug must be fused with the correct rating for the appliance, in this case a 3 amp fuse. The only time you may see a 2pin / unfused socket is in bathrooms and it isn't at all common to see those in the uk anyway.

When i went to Chicago and took my uk ipod & powerbook, i was worried because the plugs/sockets over there seem flimsy, the powerbricks kept falling out, and sparking when i plugged them into the wall but all was well.

stop worrying and enjoy your trip!
  4. macrumors 6502a

Apr 29, 2004
    London, UK
    That's not great advice – as a tourist, you are less likely to know which areas to avoid, especially because they're not signposted.

You can spot an ipod user a mile off with those white headphones which makes you an easy target. A lot of tourist areas around London could be labled as dodgy, as that is where pickpockets are most likely to strike.

Don't mean to scare you though, just use common sense and don't flash expensive equipment about.
  5. thread starter macrumors newbie

Mar 17, 2004
    Thanks again for your help!! I've got the adaptors from Apple, so I'm all set. I don't really plan to listen to my iPod out on the street anywhere, so the theives aren't much of a worry.
  6. Administrator

Staff Member

Apr 18, 2004
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    Dodgy areas and adaptors

Here in Oslo someone was recently mugged because of the white iPod earbuds. If it can happen in Oslo, it can happen anywhere. You can see them a mile off, don´t use them unless a local tells you it´s ok.

I got my prong adaptors from an airport store for about 11 US dollars. The Apple store here in Oslo had them, too - - for about 75 US dollars :eek:

I agree that the prong adaptors make the wall wart stick out and hang a bit, so I usually resort to a short extension cord - just so the wart doesn´t have to hang off the wall.
  7. macrumors G4

Aug 24, 2003
    Old York
    when i first got my ipod i used the white headphones for a few days before i got some nice panasonic ones, some little twat came up to me in camden town and demanded that i handed my ipod over to him or he would get his "breduins" on me :eek: so i told him to f**k off and well he did alfter allot of swearing and thretaning to get his "breduins" to kick the **** out of me.
    he gave up alfter a while of trying to dive his hand into my pocket.

makes you wander