Ipod

Discussion in 'iPod' started by scubastevie, Sep 17, 2006.

1. scubastevie macrumors newbie

Hey, i ran a HD test on my ipod because sometimes it would play music other times i'd get the sad face.

The HDD scan says

End scan
    RD fail
    Scan NG

What does this mean?

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

RD fail ->Read failure
    Scan NG -> scan no good.

Your hard drive is failing.

You can try a restore, which does a reformat, and see if the situation improves, but there is no guarantee that it will help.

3. scubastevie thread starter macrumors newbie

darn...

Just a few more quick questions. What size hard drive would i need to replace it?

i have a 4th gen 20 gig now.

Would it be cheaper to sell the broken one for some money and just get a new ipod for 250 or w/e they are now? in the long run

4. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

It uses a Toshiba MK2006GAL drive, they sell for (roughly) US$150. I've seen them for a lot less though.

There are instructions for disassembling these machines on all the iPod battery vendor sites. You have to take out the HD to get at the battery, so those instructions should be all you need.

5. scubastevie thread starter macrumors newbie

oo

Yea, I guess i can just try to sell the broken one, I really want a color one becuz i usually use my ipod tons but i think with video it would even be better

6. lapalapalapa5 macrumors newbie

if your ipod is still in warrenty, if you have the applecare, then just send it into apple and they will fix it

7. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I wouldn't buy a new one for $250, i'd buy refurbished. The 30GBs are only $179!!!! Even though it's been replaced, the 60GB is still less than a new 30GB at $229. Completely flawless products, good buy if you choose to replace it. At those prices and the effort it would take to fix, i say treat yourself (if you do have an iPod with a problem that needs repair that is :))