iPod!

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jxyama, May 29, 2003.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

10 gb iPod (old style) are on sale at the Apple Store - Refurb section for $199.
    (Both Mac and Windows version.)

I highly doubt that these are refurbished. I think they are still new but since Apple's got newer models, they need a way to get rid of them.

If you don't need larger capacity and/or don't care for the new model, this is a great deal... Old 10gb comes with the case and remote too.

2. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Very cool :)

I just got one... now all I need is a Mac!? :D

3. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

4. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Is yours a desktop with PCI slot? Throw in a PCI Firewire card (buy a iPod) and you are all set. Unless you don't that option available of course :(

5. ibookin' macrumors 65816

ibookin'

Even if it is a laptop you can install a FireWire card. Just buy a PCMCIA one.

6. Wardofsky macrumors 65816

An iPod with out an iMac?

I never heard such talk in my life!!
    :D

7. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

I dont know about refurbished ones and etc, but as I put my foot in US, I'll find a Apple Store and buy a 15gb iPod after I'll sell my 10gb 2G one for 250$+ in Turkey!.. :)

8. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

I had to. My laptop (IBM) is from 1999.

9. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I remember when i ordered my ipod for windows a few months back and I hadn't gotten my iBook yet. I also realized the family pC P4 1.6ghz did not have one so I instantly ran to best buy and installed the card on my PC.

10. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

woohoo !!!

Everything works great now! pcmcia firewire card, iPod (Windows), connected to ThinkPad 600X running Mandrake 9.1. Gnupod was a pain (requires Perl 5.6-devel) to set up at first :( All fixed now! :D

11. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

yzedf - finally got your iPod, eh? it's a thing of beauty...

congrats and enjoy!!

(btw, apple refurb now has 20 gb iPod for $300...)

12. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Yeah... I saw that $299 for 20GB :(

I couldn't have afforded the extra $100, so that is ok.

It is nice than I thought... which is cool.

13. jxyama thread starter macrumors 68040

jxyama

yzedf-

i hear ya. i wish i had a few $100 sitting around for me to freely spend...

when i went to the apple store a few weeks back, i was determined not to buy an ipod because i hardly listen to music.

then i made the mistake of actually stopping by the store and actually looking at the ipod, bamn, there was no turning back. i HAD to have one. :D

i agonized over getting a 15 gb instead of a 10... eventually got 10 because i didn't care for the accessories. but now, i am just a few gigs away from being full... kinda making me nervous.

14. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

jxyama - I feel your agony. I have not cared much about music in about a decade, but now... 10GB will probably be too small :( I just need to find a decent Gtk based frontend to gnupod so I can move files on and off the iPod under linux more easily...

15. job macrumors 68040

job

Heh.

I'm planning on picking up a 15GB iPod in the next week or so.

Has anyone had any issues with the switching stereo channels? I've heard that is one of the many bugs in the firmware of the new iPods.

I've listened to a friend's 15GB and I haven't encountered the "clicking" problem that everyone's been hearing. Anyone have any comments on that?

16. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I haven't experienced any of the issue talked about in this forum. No clicking no switiching channels, I love my dock (i want 2 more lol) and the new iPod.

I have one of each revision and my only issues (THO REALLY REALLY MINOR) is that sometimes i have to hit the "touch sensitive buttons" more than once to get them to respond but its not always and it's not that big a deal.

On a side note...dumb as it is, the one thing I miss about my 2G iPod is that i could depress the right side of my iPod sleeve and change the song! lol

MacboyX