ipod

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by Ipaqman, Oct 17, 2003.

1. Ipaqman macrumors 6502

hey,

i just got a new ipod and i am trying to install it onto my new powerbook. when i plug it in nothing happens. also when i disconnect it it keeps saying "do not disconnect."

could anyone please help me.

thanks so much,
    ipaqman

2. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

While waiting for somebody smarter than me to reply, you might read some of the problems and solutions at Apple's iPod support page.

3. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Once you plugin the iPod, Open iTunes. iTunes will bring up a screen allowing you to set it up. Afterword, you will need to use iTunes to eject the iPod, or Drag it to the Trash (If you have Disk access enabled).

TEG

4. coopdog macrumors 6502a

Once you plug it in go into Itunes. Also make sure you have the latest Ipod software / install the CD that comes with your iPod. Once in iTunes it should see the ipod. To have the ipod show up on the desktop its in iTunes Prefs I think. Try that if not tell me.

5. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

does it mount on the desktop at all ? If so, when you run iTunes can you select 'File'-'Update Songs on iPod' ?

Can you add the iPod to iSync ?

(The iPod did not sync with my new 12" the first time, I had to switch on 'automatic update' somewhere in iTunes...can't find it right now).

6. oldschool macrumors 65816

oldschool

Maybe he's using OS9? Thats what happens when u use the ipod with os9.

7. Dreadnought macrumors 68020

Dreadnought

Same as in os X.

If you want to mount the ipod as an external firewire harddisk, you have to mount it first using itunes. I don't know how anymore, because it was some time ago and the setup was very easy and natural going (just apple! :D ), but if you open itunes and then hook up your ipod, you should be getting a setup window, both in os 9 as X.

Ohw, and if you connect your ipod to another mac, it usually asks you to make this your standard mac for synchronising, always say NO! Else you lose all your songs on the ipod and you'll have to sync them again with your own mac.

8. Ipaqman thread starter macrumors 6502

hey everyone,

I am using the latest version of OS10.2 and getting OS10.3 on the 24th. Is there any way of restarting the ipod. All it says on the ipod screen is "do not disconnect." I cant get it off this screen.

any ideas,
    Ipaqman

9. Schiffi macrumors 6502a

Schiffi