Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheFallGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Okay, it's past time to update my iPod. I just need to convince myself, my wife and my wallet. :D

My old iPod is okay, but the battery life of a couple hours requires me to be plugged in most of the time. This gets old, as well as the miniscule 10GB capacity.

I'm planning on getting the 60GB (black) video from the apple site. (Any other sites that would be better/cheaper - educational discount from apple.) A question would be are there any rumors of new upgrades coming soon (greater capacity, new functions 'SwissArmyiPod'...)?

Also I have some accessories for my current iPod and I'm wondering if I will have to get new ones for them to be compatible. Things like an in-line 'remote' where I can control the volume and move to the next song or previous, play/pause (connects between the iPod and earbuds). Also, I recently installed cables so I could directly hook my iPod up to my car stereo - have they changed the bottom connections enough to warrant worrying about getting that replaced/updated? Any other random tips or advice?

Edit to add- Oh yeah, any recommendations for a case to protect it? I'm looking for something that will protect the screen and general protection for the rest of it.

shrimpdesign

macrumors 6502a
Dec 9, 2005
There's been a lot of rumors about Apple replacing the 60GB iPod with something else sometime this spring/summer.

FocusAndEarnIt

macrumors 601
May 29, 2005
Just buy it, you will enjoy it.

You don't always need to have the best gadget out, but, I think the current 60GB iPod Video will do you very good. :)

cwerdna

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2005
SF Bay Area, California
TheFallGuy said:
I'm planning on getting the 60GB (black) video from the apple site. (Any other sites that would be better/cheaper - educational discount from apple.) A question would be are there any rumors of new upgrades coming soon (greater capacity, new functions 'SwissArmyiPod'...)?
I wouldn't buy from Apple's site if they're going to charge you sales tax. It's best to buy from some place that's out of state so that you don't need to pay tax. I'd look around for deals at places like techbargains.com and
http://dealmac.com/categories/Electronics/Portable-Media-Players/MP3-Players/i-Pods/387.html

I see that PC Connection has it for $364 after rebate.

shadowmoses

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2005
Unless you really need the extra storage the 60gb offer's i'd go for the 30gb as it still offers huge storage and it is slimmer...

One major tip though is to a Vinyl Skin as soon as you get your iPod this will keep it looking good and scratch free.

Enjoy the iPod if you get it,

ShadoW

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
Unless this is just an excuse to do something you want to do anyway, why not just replace the battery?

TheFallGuy

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 20, 2003
Thanks for the advice.

It is something I want to do anyways. I want to be able to tote my videos with me. I figure for $100 more its worth it for the extra gigs. Maybe I'll wait and see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.