iPods and Thunderstorms - better watchout

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Chip NoVaMac, Jul 7, 2006.

1. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

2. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Just saw a story on that guy on my 11 oclock news, bet he has tinnitus by now, huh.

Lucky he is not dead.

3. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

No, if he was lucky he wouldn't have been struck by lightening.;)

4. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Mowing the lawn quickly before the lightning strikes is almost like trying to finish a round of golf in stormy weather.

5. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Shocking story...

Glad to hear this guy is doing OK

What are the chances of getting hit by lightning?
    What are the chances of an iPod wearing individual being hit by lightning?

Maybe he was listening to Britney Spears or some other crap and this was a way of punishing him for bad taste. I am definately going to remove any crap music from my iPod :D

6. monke macrumors 65816

monke

We need to know, does the iPod still work or not? :p

7. Boggle macrumors 6502

Boggle

Odds of Being Struck by Lightning.

I'm not going to worry about this too much. Not that I want anybody to suffer like this poor kid, but it wasn't dry lightning was it? The report didn't say, but I'll bet that Castle Rock, CO has weather conditions that would permit dry lightning. So I'm going to assume he was smart enough to not mow in the rain.

I'd rather be optomistic and wrong than pessamistic and right (at least in this case).

8. dmw007 macrumors G4

dmw007

Of course it does, it was made by Apple. ;) :D

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Earlier in the week, the local news ran a story about someone being struck by lightning while using his mobile phone.

I suppose it's possible that electronic devices increase the chances, but the chances aren't that great, even if they're more likely in Floriduh.

Those ear buds sure looked fried. :D :eek:

10. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

11. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

This stupid person is using this as one more reason to hate iPods. He is calling it a defect in the iPod. The guy was lucky. I bet he has a new perspective on life.

http://www.appledefects.com/?p=45

12. monke macrumors 65816

monke

Apple forgot to mention that the best way to charge your iPod, is to let it be struck by lightning. :eek:

One strike and KAPOW! 100 hours of battery life instantly.*

*: Side effects include bleading throughout the ear, burns from the earphone wire(s), and a possibility of death. Do not try this at home.

13. CoMpX macrumors 65816

CoMpX

I hate how when there is a problem like this, they warn not to use iPods during lighting. This could happen with any mp3 player, so why put the blame on iPods?

14. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

They used to say the same thing when Walkman was the target. It's become a part of culture.

Of course, the competition doesn't mind too much. It seems our local news goes out of its way to make sure you know that only Apple iPods have certain problems, even though they affect all players.

15. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

umm unless you happen to be standing naked in a field of grass when your struck by lightning than everything your wearing/carrying increases your chance of injury, christ zippers will burn your skin, keys in your pocket, glasses will burn your face.

this just happened to be an iPod

16. Raid macrumors 68020

Raid

I was wondering if there was a counter uber iPod lover fanboy site that credits the iPod for absorbing/channeling most of the electricity and saving his life. :rolleyes: ... then again probably not, iPod lovers are too smart and sophisticated to brag about such trivial connections. :D

I feel sorry for the guy, but he could have lost a lot more than his iPod!!

17. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

Just read the rest of the site with the other "defects" he sites. One is the magsafe which he sites is giving off an electrical discharge due to a crack in the protective rubber on the magsafe plug. It is just light shining off the shiny plastic and when he has the magsafe plugged into the Macbook, the greenlight doesn't turn on so it isn't even plugged into an outlet. Smart one isn't he?

18. ReanimationLP macrumors 68030

ReanimationLP

You know, its quite possible that the mower got struck with lightning, and lets see now, oh, wait, he was holding ONTO the HANDLEBARS MOWING THE GRASS.

Case closed.

Of course, the news just hateeeeeeees iPods. I swear, I think Creative is paying off every news station in the country.

19. FoxyKaye macrumors 68000

FoxyKaye

San Francisco, Terre d'Ange, Bas Lag, Gallifrey
    The article says that he was "suddenly" struck by lightning. It's not like the lightning came out of the blue - it must have been ahead of a storm system. So, all things being true about metallic objects on your body and lightning, isn't the real story that the kid was trying to finish the lawn ahead of an approaching storm and got zapped?

I love the media, the story's playing like the iPod has the power to call down blasts from the heavens.:rolleyes:

[Edit]: I do have some symphathy for him, though. Growing up in the stix there was always a lawn to be mowed, either your own or somebody else's for cash money. If it rained before the lawn was finished, you couldn't just go back and finish mowing because the grass was too wet. By the time the ground was dry again, it would sometimes be one or two days later, and you'd be stuck re-mowing the whole thing to make it look even.

20. Chip NoVaMac thread starter macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Makes me think twice about going out when thunderstorms are in the area with my nipple ring. :eek: :D