Ipods break too easily... pissin me off!

Discussion in 'iPod' started by erkanasu, Aug 12, 2006.

1. erkanasu macrumors 6502

Jan 11, 2006
    First of all, ive only had ipods up the 4th generation. But after my ipod just stopped working( second replacment this summer! )... this is too far. I have gone through 5 ipods now(this is includes 3rd gen), from them just breaking, and apple replacing them. I like how apple will just replace them easily, but seriously! Plus im in erope and have to wait till i get home( next week ) before i can take care of this. Sorry for being a whiner, but , can anyone else relate to this kinda crap?
  2. liketom macrumors 601

Apr 8, 2004
    out of all the iPods i ever owned none have broken

i just keep losing them , apple should do something about that:)
  3. Zwhaler macrumors 603

Jun 10, 2006
    Hey, I'm on my 4th iPod Photo since May of last year, and the first one worked fine until April 2006, and then I went through 3 in 2 weeks.
  4. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

Scarlet Fever

Jul 22, 2005
    my 3rd Gen broke because a fat kid kicked it. I was not amused...
  5. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

Mar 24, 2006
    I think it depends on the model sometimes. My 4G 20gig photo had to be replaced 3 times. Finally Apple upgraded me to 30gig and I sold it and got a video. Havent had any problems with my video or nano *taps desk*
  6. Shadow macrumors 68000

Feb 17, 2006
    Keele, United Kingdom
    Nope, never any problems with my 3G. And its iPod, NOT Ipod ;).
  7. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Jun 25, 2002
    Gone but not forgotten.
    It's going on 2 years with my monochrome 4g 40 GB iPod...nothing's broken though playback is dodgy sometimes.
  8. zap2 macrumors 604

Mar 8, 2005
    Washington D.C
    I've had 7 iPods... not one has broken to date(my video has a very small space between the white part and the metal, but it doesn't effect the way it works.. and a small drop of super glue has seemed to fix the problem
  9. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Feb 10, 2006
    That wins post-of-the-day in my book. :D

My 3rd gen's battery died and was replaced by apple (with 3 days of the warrantly left!), but they replaced it with a broken one. So I returned that and a year later, poof, the battery went again. Since I was out of warranty it would have cost me money to fix it (I think $79-$179, I don't remember), so I just bought a 5th gen, which has worked fine. It has been in an agent 18 since before I even turned it on or plugged it in. Before, in fact, I even got it home from the store!

My MBP is a different story. It is great that Apple dosne't tend to argue with you about whether the product is broken or not, I just wish that they would get better about actually fixing them, or at least not breaking them while trying to fix them...
  10. Yvan256 macrumors 601

Jul 5, 2004
    No real problem with my 10GB iPod 3G or my 4GB iPod nano, aside from a weird firmware crash on the 3G (had to reset everything) when I went from FAT32 to Mac OS X Extended format.
  11. zim macrumors 65816

Jan 5, 2002
    We have the 2nd, 3rd and 4th Gen iPods and none have ever broken, 3rd Gen was even dropped on concert and only suffered minor scratches. 2nd Gen iPod still outlasts the 3rd Gen, all have their originally batteries, all working perfectly :D. Personally I think that they are extremely well made.
  12. JRM PowerPod macrumors 6502

Mar 7, 2005
    Outback Australia
    I've gone through 6, no problems, though i do get alot returned where i work because people are stupid. They come in cracking it at me as if i was the one that made the iPod, then hand it over to me and 9 times out of 10 i will do the reset thing where u hold menu and the middle button and they fire back up. If they've been one of the ones that give me attitude, then i'll put them back in their place. I'll say something like,

"it looks like its working to me, what was the problem again?"
    "It wouldn;t turn on"
    (Smart arse grin) "oh well its working now"
    "Well it wasn't working before, i still want to send it off for repair, there is still something wrong with it"
    "Apple will charge you because there is nothing wrong with it"
    "Well they better not try, coz i wont pay a cent, it wasn't working"
    "sir, its fine, if you have a problem with it again look on Apple's support page its very helpful, and will probably save you another journey here"
    "Why should i have to look on their webpage, i bought it from here"
    "Its there to help you, if you had looked on their webpage you wouldnt have had to come all this way here, because it would have told you to do exactly what i did, hold these two buttons down".
    "Why should i have to, it should just work"
    "It look as if the drive has frozen or something, you could have dropped it or done something like pull it out of your computer before ejecting its hard to tell, but its fine now"
    "This isnt acceptable i've only had it 9 months"
    PICKS UP iPod and bolts out of store without thanking me for saving his iPod and the time of sending it away for replair, and muttering something about calling up Apple to complain about the iPod.

He should have called them in the first place, lol people
  13. TechWhore macrumors regular

Aug 12, 2006
    4G Pic iPod defective

It seems everyone I know, including myself, have had problems with the 4G Picture model. Most seem to last a year if that and then just die. Mine is holding on by a thread of its life (currently having frequent crashes). I'm waiting out for a 6G though. It is a great mp3 player, just damn unreliable.
  14. ehayut macrumors member

Jun 29, 2005
    I have the 4G colour. Bought it as soon as it came out last summer, and have had absolutely no problems.