ipod's broken...in china

Discussion in 'iPod' started by kevinuaa, Jun 14, 2005.

1. kevinuaa macrumors member

So waking up from the sleeper bus to Guilin from Hong Kong I find my ipod displaying the folder with the exclamation mark. crap! Sadly, this is my third ipod because this has happened to me twice before (warantee replacements both times). However, both times i thought it was becuase i had used a usb cord instead of the firewire (which i normally use)....

not this time, i haven't used USB at all. and I've charged it/updated it many times without a problem.
    i'm keeping it in a plastic sleeve and a belt mounted safety pack.

so my questions are
    1. any suggestions for what I can do? i've tried resetting it, etc.
    2. can i take it to an apple retailer/reseller here?
    3. Should i just ship it in?
    4. Why does this keep happening to me?

I would appreciate answers to any of the above!

2. kevinuaa thread starter macrumors member

i should note that if i take it into disk mode, it shouws the ipod as charging, but if i reset it, and hold it long enough, the battery symbol shows before it reboots. don't know if this helps.

3. msharp macrumors regular

msharp

yes, you can get it repaired or replaced in China.

yes, you can get it repaired or replaced in China. 'cuz Apple portable products can be repaired/replaced all over the world.

4. imac9556 macrumors 6502a

Hey,
    If your in Shanghai, China, there is a huge computer shopping mall. There is a "Apple Center" or something like that, aka Apple Store. If your there, try going there to get some help.
    good luck and enjoy china! :)
    Paul

5. eva01 macrumors 601

eva01

6. iJon macrumors 604

iJon

If your not staying in Hong Kong too long this might provide for a problem. That Apple Center in HK is more than likely not going to be able to do anything right there other than send it off. In the US it takes about a week to get your iPod back. In China, who knows. Might be quick, might not be. Hopefully it all goes well for you. It would have been rough not having my iPod on all my past world travels, it comes in handy ever so much.

jon