IPod's hard disk

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by gigi83, Sep 29, 2003.

1. gigi83 macrumors newbie

Is it possible to use the new 40GB IPod as an external hard disk to transfer data from Mac to PC without using third party software? Do both Win XP and MacOS X 10.1.5 recognize the IPod as an external storage device?

2. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

Hmmm....

You'd have to format the iPod as FAT32 for the PC to see it and I dunno if you can do that.

I'd check Apple's support site and think really had about that. I know there aren't any more WINDOWS ONLY iPods so maybe you could Format as FAT32 and reformat as MacOS Extended but I am not sure.

I'd tread carefully.

macboyX

3. tomf87 macrumors 65816

tomf87

You can convert the iPod to FAT32 by using the Apple iPod for Windows utility.

Beware you will lose all your data on the iPod though. I'm not sure MacOS will mount a Windows formatted iPod.

4. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Would it be possible to partition the drive, with each partition formatted for both platforms. So a 40gig would be 20 Fat32 and 20 MacOS.

Hmmm.....

~e

5. fraeone macrumors regular

fraeone

Sure *seems* like it would work.

fraeone

6. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

i am pretty sure that in Mac OS X, it can read windows formatted stuff, but not sure about the otgher way around. oh well;)

7. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

i am quite sure that the iPod's OS would not recognize the partitions... so you could do it, and the computers would probably recognize it, but the iPod wouldn't work as an iPod. In which case you're better off just getting an external HD, cheaper. But i believe OS X can indeed read PC format, so if you do it that way, you should be fine--

pnw

8. gigi83 thread starter macrumors newbie

Re

Thanks to all who reply to my message. I'm wondering if file sharing between Pc and Mac through IPod is not similar to the one through Ethernet; if in this last one it works, why would through IPod not work? Do other portable hard disk have the same problem as IPod in file sharing between Pc and Mac?

9. eclipse525 macrumors 6502a

eclipse525

Re: Re

Now...I may be wrong but I think in this case, that the problem lies in the software that makes the iPod an iPod. I guess if you were to reformat iPod and make just an iDisk<GRIN> then you'd have more leeway. Not sure but I'm just shooting here. Sorry if it's not of any help.

~e