iPods in short supply!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by gwuMACaddict, Dec 20, 2004.

1. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

at least this is a "harmless" media hype of the shortage... i'm sure it's in short supply, but it's also generalized a bit, no doubt.

the media-stirred frenzy over the "shortage" of flu vaccine, on the other hand... :rolleyes:

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Glad to see...

Then again, when one is not available, chances are the customer will buy something else which is not good.

Sushi

3. palusami macrumors regular

palusami

they seem to be well available where i'm at. a few co-workers were able to buy several mini's in the past few days at best buy and other places. maybe the limited availability is subject to certain areas?

4. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I went to a store over here (in Japan) to see if I might be able to pick up a pink iPod Mini for the wife ( :rolleyes: yeah yeah ) The store employee told me they were totally out and couldn't order anymore :eek: It seems like iPod Minis were sold out before they even landed over here. Especially Pink, Blue and Silver. (I've never seen one on sale besides the floor model.)

5. RobbyRoo macrumors newbie

RobbyRoo

C'mon... I see iPods everywhere.
    And by the way, I have a birthday coming up. ;)

[​IMG]

6. calimacguy macrumors newbie

CompUSA Reno just got in a ton of Mini iPods

I thought I wasn't going to be able to get my sister a Pink Mini iPod this Christmas. Boy was I wrong. I was just there and they have every color except Blue and Gold. I thought I was going to pay the price for shopping so late in the season. Whew! :D

7. BornAgainMac macrumors 603

BornAgainMac

I saw tons of iPods for sale. Makes me want to buy my third one. Heck, I want both the Mini and the 60 GB iPod Color ipod. I have the old style kind with the buttons at the top. Yuck!

8. aethier macrumors 6502a

aethier

well future shop is not missing any, they already have their boxing day flyer out., there ipods are 399CDN (sameprice as apple.ca) and it says that for boxing day only 399CDN or while it runs out of its extra 3000 that are in stock accross the chain. granted it is a large chain accross canada so there may be some stores that are already out but w/e. i don't really care i bought my mother her's in november to not risk been victem to a shortage

aethier

9. carlos700 macrumors regular

The first Apple product that people are running to purchase. To bad Apple doesn't advertise Mac OS X, it might sell better.

10. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Where in Japan are you? I am near Tokyo...Kanagawa-Ken.

Last night I checked the local Nojima store. They are out. Can order but it will be after the first of the year before they come in.

A week ago, the Apple Store in The Ginza had them. They seemed to be selling very well.

Purple (yeah, I know it's officially pink) iPod minis are hard to find it seems. Very popular with the local teen (meaning 13-26) girls. Recently seeing many just hold them in their hand as if to advertise.

Sushi

11. iAlan macrumors 65816

iAlan

Christmas from the Ginza Apple Store...

They have iPods here at the Ginza Apple Store, actually on every floor. It is quite crowded here now (2.30 pm) and lots of people walking around with the white Apple shopping bags - I am jelous as I am not really here to buy anthing...already have what I want, just looking.

There is a shortage of iPods at some other retailers, i think it has something to do with when they re-ordered and the stock delivery cycle. And I am thinking we will see a revised iPod mini announced in 2 weeks at MWSF - say a 5GB and maybe a colour change. I have a Blue iPod mini but would love a Yellow one - and no, not a lemon!

Merry Christmas

12. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I hope that everyone that wanted and iPod for Christmas was able to obtain one. There will also be those that receive money that will want to use it on an iPod.

13. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I'm in Nagoya. All the stores I went had the displays, but the sales people told me they were out and weren't ordering them anymore. They still have blue or green, but my wife said she wanted pink or didn't really want one :rolleyes: I offered to give her my 1st Gen 5giger if she wanted it .....

14. Don Cherry macrumors newbie

Gosh by golly, lots of people did!

My phone was ringing off the hook this morning with people who wanted their iPods to play nice with their Wintels.

:eek: ;) :p

15. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Roger. How's the snow up there? It looks like most of Japan has been too warm this season.

Not ordering them anymore...as in never ordering them again?

If so, I wonder why?

Sushi

16. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

No snow at all. I miss Boston :(

As in not ordering them for the time being, I'm guessing. I've got a 1st gen & 4th gen so I'm happy :)

I'm waiting for the Apple store to open here, though :D

17. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

I hope it changes by the middle of January. Heading up to Shiga Kogen for the three day weekend.

Interesting. Wonder why?

Got a G1 10GB one myself. Still works great!

Will be getting a iPod mini for my daughter.

Looking forward to the flash offering for myself.

Didn't realize one was going in there. Cool.

The Tokyo one is very nice. Big store. Lot's of stuff. I like their AV setup. A G5 with two 30 inch displays plus a very nice video camera. Of course the price is out of this world as well.

...but I can always dream! :D

Sushi

18. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I hope this lack of iPods doesn't deter people from buying them.
    I went to CompMart and they were the ones who said they were out. Since CompMart is part of Eden, neither one will have iPods (I'm guessing.) I'm pretty sure SoftMap and Bic Camera (2 welcome additions to Nagoya) are out, too. The only other joints that carry Mac stuff are OA Systems Plaza and Good Will, but I have a feeling they're out, too.

About the Tokyo Apple Store, I heard there is something called "Mac Fan Night"? Ever heard of that?

19. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I just bought a 40 GB HP iPod from BJ's Wholesale Club for $359 with a $20 instant rebate. There were 2 of each size there. Being that these things are almost never discounted, this one comes with a dock, it's perfect for storing my photos, and HP has an extended warranty in Floriduh, I think I'll be happy--once I figure out how to make it fully Mac OS X compatible. It complained about something not being able to be copied. I think it was the one free music download from iTMS. This should be interesting.

20. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

I just got a call from my wife: one of her co-workers knows someone at CompMart and managed to get her an iPod Mini -in pink! :eek:

She has no idea how lucky she is ... :)

21. jimsowden macrumors 68000

jimsowden

Not very. The apple stores have had stock of pretty much every ipod forever, most never running out. They dump the backlog on the reseller dist chain, and the little stores are the ones that can't floor enough backorders to keep them in stock. So the stores the size of an apple store can't keep ipods, white the chains can get some and the apple stores have plenty.

22. virus1 macrumors 65816

virus1

ha! makes me realize how lucky we are in palo alto. we have 2 apple stores here and you'd be amazed how many ipods they have in stock.

23. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

They were going fast in San Diego... still had em but were low. Also they didn't have 40GB iPods, normal. Odd.

24. 5300cs macrumors 68000

5300cs

We live at least 200km+ from the nearest Apple Store so very lucky. Perhaps you didn't read any of my previous posts.