iPods: mini vs. 15GB vs. 10GB (3rd gen)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by memphismac, Mar 29, 2004.

1. memphismac macrumors member

So I REALLY want an iPod. I'd love to have the 15 or 20GB models, but all I can really afford is the mini. Then I see that Apple still has some old (well, September 2003) 10GB models (dock not included). It's listed as a new and unopened unit.

What I want the iPod for:
    - to/from work
    - road trips
    - at work, with some external speakers

Questions:
    - Should I settle for the mini?
    - Is the "Previous Generation" stuff alright?
    - When they say eight days for delivery, will I actually get it within eight days? (I'm leaving town on April 17 and would LOVE to have it by then)

Any and all advice would be appreciated...

Brian

2. mrgreen4242 macrumors 601

mrgreen4242

Are you looking at the standard retail pricing? The mini is what like $249 retail? If you can find a way to qualify for student or gov't pricing (someone yo uknow get one and sell it to you, for example) the 15gb is only $269, a mere $20 extra than the retail mini... not a bad bargain for nearly 4 times the storage...

Rob

3. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

how much music do you have? that's one factor...

since your use doesn't seem to require mini, if you want it before april 17th, i'd go with 10 GB. that's a good deal, esp. if you don't qualify for edu. discount. (15 GB doesn't have dock either, it's just 5 GB bigger...) it's "prev. gen." but it's still dockable, etc. - it's the 3rd gen. 10 GB. it's off the lineup because the last update bumped up the lowest spec'ed one to 15 GB.

8 days usually mean 8 business days + shipping, i think... if you order this week, i imagine you will have it by april 17th.

4. memphismac thread starter macrumors member

I've got about 3GB of music on my computer, plus 150-200 CDs. I don't necessarily want to put all of my music on the iPod. (I still like CDs).
    But I would like the portability.

As for the educational discount, is that available in Apple retail stores as well? Or only online?

5. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

you can get iPod at edu. discount at an apple store... just take your school ID.

unless you really, really like the physical size of the Mini, i'd get the 15 GB, edu. discounted. you will always have the option of putting all of your music on it and it will be a nice back up drive...

6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Settle??? Are you kidding me? The Mini Rules like you wouldn't believe. If you don't need the size though, I would go for the regular iPod. 10gig or 15. They are a better "Value"......................... but no where near as cool.

7. thirteen1031 macrumors 6502

thirteen1031

Minis are incredibly cool and if you had ONLY 3gig of music, I'd say go for it--but they're rare as hen's teeth right now. So unless you're willing to wait till June, or unless you've held one in your hand and nothing less will do, go for a regular iPod.

As mentioned here, if you check around, you should be able to get a 10 or 15 at a good discounted price--you might even find one under the Mini price. Some folk who bought Minis are now selling their regular iPods. And there is that student discount.

As for keeping music on CD's--the iPod should NEVER take the place of those CD's or, at least, keeping the music on a spare hard drive. If you put all your music on the iPod, then sell the CD's...well, sooner or later you might need to re-set the iPod, or might make a mistake and your music will vanish. Poof! It's gone and no CD's around to help you put it back on again.

That said, you can put ALL your music on a 10-15gig iPod. And if you can, why not do it? Doesn't mean you're going to get rid of your CD's. Trust me, you'll appreciate putting as much music as possible on your iPod when you're stuck at an airport or someplace where your CD's are not and you want badly to listen to that one...particular...album. You'll be glad, then, that you took advantage of the full 10-15gigs and loaded all your music onto the iPod.

8. bennetsaysargh macrumors 68020

bennetsaysargh

well, i'd say if you're going to get something for vacation, a regular ipod would seem more logical right now. even though you only have 3gb of music, if you ever need to use the voice recording or the photo storage, the mini is not supported and will not work. also like other people have said, a fw drive could have it's uses also.
    one last thing, minis are hard to come by right now and they will be out of them at most places., so you might wanna run out and find a mini as soon as you can if you decide for it.

9. memphismac thread starter macrumors member

Well, that settles it then. Time to head over to the local Apple store and pick up a 15GB iPod.

Thanks for your suggestions. I've posted a few times over at macnn.com, but the responses here seem quicker and more informative.

Thanks

10. memphismac thread starter macrumors member

p.s.

True or False:

After I get the iPod home, do I need to charge it for 3+ hours? I've read yes and no numerous places.

11. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

its usually a good idea to fully charge your ipod once you get it....its what apple recommends at least....

enjoy you new pod!

12. memphismac thread starter macrumors member

Bought the 15GB (with education discount).

Wow.

Thanks for the advice, folks. The best $269 I've ever spent.

13. nate13 macrumors 6502

nate13

Definitly a case

GET A CASE! its nice to hold it when its out, but the scratches will happen quick. i sugest an iSkin as they are vresitile and COOL. the new EVO rules. www.iskin.com