iPods on planes

Discussion in 'iPod' started by Dan86, Aug 11, 2006.

1. Dan86 macrumors newbie

i'm travelling later today and wanted to know if i still can't take it with me.

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

From what I understand, until further notice, no. I'm not even sure that it's allowed in luggage now.

You should check your local newspaper or t.v. station's website and they'll likely have a list of unacceptable items.

3. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

4. Dan86 thread starter macrumors newbie

I forgot to mention that i'm travelling from the UK to Turkey.

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    You can take it but not as hand-luggage. It would have to be packed in your checked baggage.

6. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

Apparently books and even newspapers are also prohibited as carry-on. I hope the quality of in-flight movie selections is due to improve...

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

Sooo glad I'm not flying from the UK to US this week. I can't even get my mind around how incredibly boring a transatlantic flight with no electronics would be.

8. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

...Or any reading material. What a nightmare. Reading or doing music on my computer are the only things that make long haul travel possible for me.

9. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

I'd cope on one of the Virgin flights that has V:pORT

I was flying to SF from London a couple of years ago and ended up on a V:pORT plane. I'd packed books, my laptop with a DVD or two, my iPod and some puzzles to try to pass 12 hours.

Didn't open any of them aside from the first/last 20 minutes when the entertainment got switched off. I didn't even get my planned nap since I had too much to watch/do.

They had 50 odd movies, several TV shows (inc full series of Father Ted, House, Friends, CSI and various documentaries), full CDs of music, games from platform types to poker and some games where you could take on the rest of the plane at quizzes etc and then make faces at the appropriate seat where someone beat you.

So... if this is ongoing, my advice to transatlantic passengers is to fly Virgin.

10. emotion macrumors 68040

emotion

That's good to know. I'll remember that.

I'll still not be comfortable packing my laptop in the hold though.

11. XP Defector macrumors 6502

I heard reports that certain Australian airlines have proposed to make these regulations on hand luggage permenant. It would be outrageous if the rest of the international airlines followed suite. This boils down to the wholesale of choice in exchange for 'safety'. Whilst it is agreeable that certain regulations are a necessary evil, the scope and extent of certain regulations just seems overboard. Considering this amid the 'terrorist' threat that is both over-hyped and over-exaggerated. More effort should perhaps be focused on global warming or the impending fuel crisis, which with little doubt, will be massively destructive both to planet earth and industrial civalisation respectively.

12. Chundles macrumors G4

Chundles

God I hope they don't make it permanent, my Dad works for Qantas so i can get some news from there but I doubt they will do that.

Can you imagine if they made these regulations permanent flying from Aus? Every bloody trip anywhere takes about 3 days...

13. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Amen to that. Global warming is a worse threat than any terrorist. The weather has been more of a plague with those mosquitoes. And those critters scare me much more! :eek:

14. kbonnel macrumors 6502

I hear that. I have done that flight so many times, and if I didn't have my MB or ipod, I don't think I could survive!!!

Kimo

15. DJMastaWes macrumors 65816

DJMastaWes

That's so dumb!

I know it's all for security, however what can you do with books/newspapers??

Electronics and liquid i can understand i guess, but books!?

I'm not quiet sure I understand what harm can be done with a book...

16. weg macrumors 6502a

weg

Hmm.. is it possible that having my notebook in the checked in luggage will do any damage to it (assuming I pack it thoroughly - how about temperature issues?).

17. DavidLeblond macrumors 68020

DavidLeblond

Psst, the person sitting in 11-A has a bomb on page 23!

I'm waiting for someone to come on a plane with exploding underwear. Then we'd all have to fly naked!

18. The Toon Master macrumors 6502

well they can make an object look liek a book ,and put a space to put a liquid container inside(see The Simpsons episode where Marge gets arrested for drunk driving, Homer has a bible that has a compartment to put liquor in) But that probally is doubtful

But that is pretty stupid, are these for domestic flights as well and are they going to be permanent?

For my knowledge, it's okay to use an ipod of domestic flights, you can barely have anything on a uk to us flight

19. telecomm macrumors 65816

telecomm

It's pretty remarkable to think of the changes that would result in the structure of airports should this policy be maintained. No more duty free, shopping, etc., beyond the security checkpoint. No bookstores, vending machines, nothing...

20. PillowMint macrumors newbie

Bah, if they change the way we live then the terrorists have won. :(

21. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

No... it's all flights. Otherwise, since some domestic and international flights share a terminal, you could have someone on a domestic flight carrying things through for someone else. And it would be just as bad to have a plane blow up over the Peak District as over the Atlantic.

22. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

No food, no drinks, no entertainment, locked in an aluminum tube for hours.

Should be fun. :eek:

Will definitely improve the airlines bottom line as people get out the credit cards for entertainment, and fork over some money for food and drinks.

I think the alcohol sales will definitely improve.

23. Jopling macrumors 6502

I have a hollowed out book, I got it as a gift. Its pretty cool for hiding stuff in my room.

what about snakes on a plane?

24. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

gadgetgirl85

I think the security measures they have gone to are a LITTLE extreme but I know its to protect us. Cant really see what you could do with an ipod

25. savar macrumors 68000

savar

Good gravy, whats wrong with paper?? I can't believe you cant take any kind of drinks in there anymore. Does anybody know what chemicals it is in drinks that makes them potentially dangerous? I hope they serve free unlimited drinks and food on the plane, because I'm usually starving by the time I get on the plane.

Sounds like a lot of paranoia to me.