iPods pre-loaded with video tread legal gray zone

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Jan 21, 2006.

1. macrumors bot

[​IMG]

Category: Videos
    Link: iPods pre-loaded with video tread legal gray zone
    Description:: LOS ANGELES (Hollywood Reporter) - A tiny Massachusetts company named TVMyPod is selling iPods that come with movies and TV programs already loaded on them, a practice that raises questions of legality as it addresses consumer demand for convenience and portability.

Posted on MacBytes.com
    Approved by Mudbug

2. macrumors G3

bigandy

i don't see how it could be deemed illegal, unless they're making their own copies to keep :rolleyes:

anyways i think it's a good idea...

3. macrumors newbie

asthma

i dont see anything wrong

i don't see anything illegal with this, as long as the company pays for every movie or T.V. show for each ipod. but if they were buying one video from itunes, and copied that one video to 50 iPods. then we might have a problem. but as far as i can read i don't see a problem.

4. macrumors 6502a

Phatpat

The problem is they are probably breaking the copyright protection on the DVDs in order to get them to the iPod, and under the DMCA this is illegal.

5. macrumors 6502

This might be a dumb question... but then how does the client sync their ipod with their computer? If the movie is added to an ipod from the service provider, then ipod and movie are shipped, as soon as the client tries to sync with itunes he loses the movie. Unless its saved to the ipod in disc mode, then the client moves the movie to their library. Right ?

6. macrumors 601

Yvan256

Didn't bother to read the whole article, but the DMCA is only for the USA...

Edit: okay... "Massachusetts company"... it's illegal under the DMCA. :D

7. macrumors 65816

virus1

well also they are technically duplicating it as well.