iPod's Price

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc. Rumors' started by Eckslusive, Dec 19, 2002.

1. Eckslusive macrumors 6502

When will the iPod's price drop?
    Does any one know?

2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

The iPods prices dropped quite a lot at the last MacWorld, and now I feel that they are a good deal. I wouldn't expect prices to drop until a higher capicity model is introduced.

3. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

299$ iPod is for people in Europe something more like 379$ iPod :mad:
    Anyway, it would be good for the low-end iPod to get that non-mechanical touch wheel.
    Unless there are some major changes for it coming in MWSF, then everything changes..

4. Thirteenva macrumors 6502a

As soon as the 10gb hits $299 i'm buying one......

5. rjrufo macrumors regular

Same here.

6. King Cobra macrumors 603

I would expect that once prices on the super thin Toshiba 1.8 inch Hard Drive prices drop, the iPod prices will, as well, drop. That's one of the main factors of the high price of the iPod.

When the iPod 5GB came out, it was $400. Less than a year later, the price has dropped to $300. Once there is a further price drop, I would expect either an equal or less decline in prices.

There have been arguments of 40GB iPods, but I doubt that will occur. So my guess is when iPod prices come down, the biggest cut in price will come from the 20GB model.

Something around the realm of:
    5GB: $300 to $250
    10GB: $400 to $330
    20GB: $500 to $400
    sounds plausible.

7. gralem macrumors member

I would look for iPod prices to drop to around $99 at MWSF. I would *NOT* buy an iPod until the price hits $99. If the price does not drop to $99: do not get sucked into buying one of these awesome mp3 players under any circumstances!

---gralem

PS, I did not say which year's MWSF they will drop to $99. But believe me, they will drop to $99 during SOME MWSF. Perhaps 2010, 2015--who knows. But do not get sucked into buying the iPod before then NO WAY. Do not spend more than $99 on your iPod. In fact, I would recommend waitnig until they drop to $25 before buying one. That would be the best thing you can do.

8. Megaquad macrumors 6502a

9. King Cobra macrumors 603

gralem, by the time the iPod hits $100, that model will be discontinued.

Besides, do you even have an iPod? My father spent $400 for the original 5GB model last year, and I still use it often. And it isn't just an mp3 player.

Name me a few other competitive mp3 players that can also store records of dates, a whole list of calenders, and remember stored personal info on other people for contact information. In case of emergencies, this may be useful.

Now you will have to live with the fear that one day, you may encounter such an emergency situation, in which you forget someone's phone number and can't find where you wrote it down, and you're stuck on the side of the road without having anyone's number to call, all because you aren't willing to spend more than $100 on an iPod. :p

10. razorme macrumors regular

razorme

I think Gralem was being sarcastic. I have the original 5 GB and think it was worth every penny. I had to buy an extended warranty at the time for 2 years because of some of the posts with iPods dying and going sideways, etc.

The same iPod would be $200 Cdn cheaper for me now, but I haven't given it a thought (and normally it would). It's worth it at the current prices.

11. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

If you want to get your iPod cheap, buy it used. I got my 5 GB iPod (original version) for $100 from someone who got the newer version. That's going to be the cheapest way. As for new iPods coming down in price, it's not likely until Toshiba drops their prices, like King Cobra mentioned. Apple doesn't set the prices on these things at $300 just to piss us off. In my opinion, they're worth that much.

JW

12. Akira macrumors member

iPod Pricedrop?!

If you live in the US, and you want to see an iPod pricedrop, you're really cheap-ass!

I live in Europe and bought a iPod 5Gig in may 2002, for 550 euros. I'm going to buy a new one (probably 10Gig) because my old one doesn't work anymore. Still a 10Gig iPod is around 500 euros, while it's 399 dollars in the US. And 1 euro is around 1,02 dollars nowadays! You do the math, we Europeans are being -like we at school always say- 'hard anaal uitgewoond!'

I'm still going to get a new one though ;)

13. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

Not everyone has the kind of money to spend around and I was just wondering...And probably I spend a lot more on my mac than you have. So i wouldn't go around calling people you dont know cheap-asses.

14. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

and plus, i live in canada...where 1 US $ is 20 cents Canadian.

15. Akira macrumors member

You live in Canada, and I called people who want a iPod pricedrop and live in the US cheap-ass, so you are not.

Anyway, I was showing that in Europe the prices are much higher, a 10Gig iPod is around $100 cheaper in US than in Europe.

And by the way, don't take things so serious, it's really bad for your blood pressure...

OK, enough flaming, if my remark upset you, I am sorry.

16. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I've seen refurb 5 Gigs for ~ $200. Can you imagine someday soon getting a 40 GB+ iPod with a 1.8" 5400 RPM drive, FW2, color screen, MP4/AAC support, mic inputs etc. for around $100? That's what I'd be wanting. Maybe in a few years.

Maybe I'm hallucinating.

Doesn't Shrek usually post stuff like this? Always the dreamer. Where is that kid when you need him?

17. imamacguy17 macrumors member

Ecks is from Canada

Ecks your math is a little off last time I checked Canada's currency was worth less than the almighty US Dollar. A canadian dollar is worth about a quater here is America not the other way around.

Peace and Love
    and the ipod is a great price. you want it cheaper call up Toshiba and ask them why your ipod costs so much.

18. PROZAKY macrumors newbie

19. rjrufo macrumors regular

Re: Ecks is from Canada

Sorry to correct both of you, I just checked the exchange rate, a Canadian $1.00 is equal to $0.64 in the US. Not quite the quarter or twenty cents you guy's mentioned.

[edit]
    I just did the currency the other way: $1.00 in the US is $1.57 in Canada.
    [edit]

20. Spievy macrumors regular

Me Too :)

21. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

DOES ANYONE THINK THE PRICE WILL DROP AFTER THE EXPO IN JANUARY?? (5GB)

When was the expo again?

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Possibly. We're all hoping.

I believe the Keynote is on the 7th.

And please STOP SHOUTING.

23. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

Worth every penny

24. Eckslusive thread starter macrumors 6502

I hope nothing changes about the iPod cause I'm gonna get mine soon..hopefully

To me, I don't think they will drop the price. Theres a million up there and sales are still going...So I dont think they will. Maybe they will add something to the 5GB one...But see if they do introduce a new iPod, it'd b even more expensive. And they might even discontinue the 5GB one. So I'm gonna buy mine soon..maybe...possible...
    I HOPE :(

NOT A LOT OF PLACES IN VANCOUVER ESPECIALLY SELL MACS :( I'VE BEEN HOPING ONE BEFORE THEY CAME OUT. BUT THEN I HAD THE PC. NOW I HAVE A MAC AND THE ARE ALL SOLD OUT OR I'M POUNDERING ABOUT PRICE CHANGE :( AHHH... :mad: