Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
BBC News reports that the iPod is "flying off shop shelves" with demand clearly outstripping supply.

Some British shops have been left to take post-Christmas sales despite Apple "doing all it could to increase production".

This echos consumer and retailer experiences in the United States with many locations selling out of the popular Apple peripheral. An AdAge article (pay content) had previously noted that Apple executives had predicted that they would sell out its iPod inventory this holiday season, suggesting that Apple was unable to further ramp up production.

arn

macrumors god
Staff member
Apr 9, 2001
Is the iPod the in-demand holiday gift this season?

I haven't been in the market for one ... others have trouble finding one?

arn

alset

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2002
East Bay, CA
Wes (a member of this site) told me that the iPod was the hottest XMas gift in the UK (his locale). That was about a week ago, so I guess it's true.

Dan

sonofslim

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2003
well, i've been shopping for iPod accessories and i've been to a lot of stores have run out of carrying cases and other stuff. so if that's any indication of iPod demand, then i'd say it's pretty high...

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Excellent the iPod is doing well, shame Apple couldn't keep up with demand.

My brother will get a mp3 player, as will my step Dad for christmas, but not iPods, too expensive. Shame Apple couldn't have released cheaper iPods sooner... but if they do next month, better late than never.

With the iPod doing so well... how long will it take before online Music Stores stop using WMA crap and use AAC? I remember one of them saying.. "when AAC is more popular, then we will revise our decisions".. when is popular, popular - Apple already have the largest market share of MP3 players.. will 50, 60% be enough for them.

I'm sure they could negioate with Apple about using the Fairplay DRM... Apple should realize, the more Music Stores that support AAC, the more iPods sold - people won't have to rely on iTMS as their single source.

OK, the iTMS is only there is sell iPods, but so could other music stores.. This is a very real weakness of iPod and Music Store - only one Music Store is compatible, and not everyone likes iTunes... so they don't have any alternatives.

Macette

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2002
Melbourne
i didn't have any trouble getting one a week ago for my brother, but i wouldn't want to be trying in the centre of any major (australian) city today. some of the suburban places still have a few though.

pivo6

macrumors 68000
Dec 2, 2002
Minnesota
I was going to try and buy myself one for Christmas, but thought I might wait out MWSF. Now it looks like I couldn't get one if I tried.

if the rumors are true for newer iPods, I hope that Apple can supply them in sufficient numbers.

kb9000

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2003
(Lab)
Not too surprising, I suppose...

Many of my [PC using] friends want an iPod for themselves, when in the past those sort would scoff at mine.

They still think that simply using iTunes for their existing music will cost them money per song_ :confused:

j33pd0g

macrumors 6502
Mar 20, 2003
Central NY
I had typed some long winded paragraph about Apple executives, but decided not to go with it. I'll just say congratulations Apple. They're getting their product and name out there. The iPod is holding it's own against flimsy competition.

warcraftmaster

macrumors regular
Dec 5, 2003
here
"Apple's digital jukebox"

"Apple's digital jukebox" i hate how that sounds , its sound like delll or some other crap player that are out there
it should be called iPod and that is it.
not a d*mm "digital jukebox" the iPod does so much it should be only call a iPod

just my 2 cent:)

dongmin

macrumors 68000
Jan 3, 2002
So I guess the next questions is What will Apple do to keep the iPod current for next year's Xmas?

With the advertising blitz and the publicity generated by the iTMS, Apple was successful in keeping the iPod at the front of the public's consiousness. I'm curious about what new amazing feature (music videos? album art? wireless, anywhere iTMS?) will make the iPod next Xmas' must-have gadget. Any guesses?

Grimace

macrumors 68040
Feb 17, 2003
with Hamburglar.
The Apple Store still seems to have a healthy supply.

The 10GB and 40GB models have 1-2 day ship times. The 20GB model has a 1-3 day ship time.

Time to clear out the stock for the upgraded models!!!

pbooktebo

macrumors member
Aug 12, 2003
SF Bay Area
Palo Alto

I was in the Palo Alto Apple Store yesterday, and a clerk told me that they were out of 10 and 20 GB models, and that some people were upgrading to 40 GB models.

She said that she had heard that 3rd party places were also out.

Of course, even with the tech slump, Palo Alto is a bit richer than many areas. However, I'm impressed that they're selling so well. It's also nice that they had inventory until 1-2 days before Christmas, as I expect they met most of the holiday demand.

Go Apple!

Ktulu

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2002
Brownstown, MI
Originally posted by Gymnut
The Dell DJ must be looking pretty lonely on those store shelves.

Speaking of the Dell DJ, does anyone know what kind of sales its' been getting around the country/world. As much as I would love to see it happen, I'm sure the iPod is not the only player selling this holiday season.

TomSmithMacEd

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2003
Fargo, ND
Originally posted by Gymnut
The Dell DJ must be looking pretty lonely on those store shelves.

If they even sold those in stores. I would just feel ashmed if I got a Dell DJ for christmas. Sort of like I'm not good enough to get the best, I have to just try to be. And as far as I know you can still buy the iPOd's at the local best Buy and they had some at the Minneapolis store... I think it is more of a problem in UK.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Wow, this is excellent for Apple! Sure, it's a problem if they've ran out and can't meet consumer demand, but it's a good kind of problem!

Good strategy too - Apple sells out of iPods for Christmas, then come MWSF, releases the new iPods/mini-iPods or whatever at lower prices. And then more people will start buying them!

Well, this definitely proves that Apple isn't losing money or made a mistake by not releasing the rumored mini-iPods before Christmas - the current ones are selling amazingly on their own!

crees!

macrumors 68020
Jun 14, 2003
MD/VA/DC
Originally posted by kb9000
Many of my [PC using] friends want an iPod for themselves, when in the past those sort would scoff at mine.

They still think that simply using iTunes for their existing music will cost them money per song_ :confused:

You seriously need to talk to your friends. I had to do the same with mine as well. They don't care too much to look into all the details and they need someone like you and me to straighten them out.

Essefgy

macrumors member
Dec 3, 2003
SEMI
Maybe individual stores are out of stock, but Apple isn't. I ordered one last night from the online store (20GB) and have already gotten confirmation it's been shipped.

Sounds like the media are trying to scare people again. Tomorrow's story will be that radiation from the iPod might cause brain damage.

elgruga

macrumors 6502
Dec 31, 2001
Canada
ipods selling out is a GOOD thing

All best selling stuff sells out at christmas - its great to see Apple in this position.

Apple have a serious chance at becoming a major music industry player, possibly even a major label, because the old rules are gone, and he who controls the download, controls all of the business.

The new low-price iPod (if true) will be the big move.

CD's and all that record business crap is shakier by the minute.

Most artists HATE their record companies, (I used to work in the biz), and would love to get their product out direct to the fans.

Next? The film biz. Buy a DVD? Why, when you can d/l it.......

I just want Apple to be successful so they will always make a cool laptop for me.

And did I hear of a powerbook G5 soon?!!!!!!

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Jun 4, 2003
Originally posted by Essefgy
Tomorrow's story will be that radiation from the iPod might cause brain damage.

It does?!?! OH DEAR GOD!!!
<jumps out nearby window>
<continues to listen to iPod en route to the hospital because it's just so damn cool>

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.