iPods - they are selling a lot of them.

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by nerveosu, Jan 11, 2002.

1. nerveosu macrumors member

Just got my iPod at the Apple retail store in Columbus, Ohio. Had to do that because they don't have any online. They are listed as shipping in 10 days.... but you would be lucky if it would ship that soon. From what i here they sold a ton of them right after christmas... must be all that christmas cash from grandmas all over the World funding the surge.

If you don't have one, get one... they are cool.

-bill

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I want one....but...

I really want one.....BAD.....but $400 is just too much for me to spend on the thing I feel...

3. DarkNovaMatter macrumors member

A belt clip?

I was reading one review saying the iPod was ranked #3 in sales. The downsides the reviewer gave were 1- High price, 2- No windows or Linux support (since when did ZDnet care about Linux?) out of the box, 3- No carrying case or clip ( I found this one amusing). After reading the reviews I came up with one conclusion- Windows users think everything is made for them and them only. I like the iPod, its making more of an Apple freindly world.

4. OKComputer macrumors 6502

Really?

I just ordered an iPod through the website it said 10 days ship time, but it only took 24 hours for me to get it on the east coast using express mail from start to finish. Dont let long shipping times discourage you from getting one of the best products ive ever used!

5. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

I must say that I am pleasantly surprised that the iPod has performed so well in sales. People have reacted to it far better then I first expected.

6. Tomasz macrumors regular

Not a lot but a LOT

They are expensive... but nice. A public school teacher I know even got one (and he thinks it is great)... so if he could spare the cash it must be worth it. He hooked it up to his cube... and transfered over 800 classical pieces of music.

Remember when everybody started complaining about the price... and that no one would buy it because of that. Well, people are buying it. I hope they sell over 100,000 more pods.... and bring the price down. This will allow for even more people to get one and enjoy the beauty of it (including me:)

Tomasz

7. MacUser1 macrumors 6502

MacUser1

iPods

I too wasn't sure if the iPod would sell that well ($400), but I am very happy that it has been selling well.
    ...btw... I got my iPod at the Apple Retail Store

8. Catfish_Man macrumors 68030

Catfish_Man

Re: Not a lot but a LOT

They sold 125,000 iPods in 60 days. The price is still the same.

9. hike77 macrumors newbie

YEAH, iPod.....

Though I am not a windows user, I don't hate it. I think it is a good thing with xPlay making iPod work with a windows computer. I think that once someone who owns a pc gets this mac product may think twice about a MAC when getting their next computer. Especially since most windoze users will need to by a firewire card to make the iPod work with their computer. PC's may be cheeper but they aren't as well rounded for the price. Even my almost 3yr old B&W has firewire... and just now PC's are making it standard.

$400 may be a lot but you do get your money's worth....I have used one for a while and I want one I just need to scrounge the cash...

10. rekras macrumors regular

11. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

A Macrumors 6502 is a member with over 500 posts. The administrators haven't decided on a final name yet.

12. Quark macrumors regular

Shipping fact, or just rumor??

I ordered mine from the Apple store on Jan. 7 at 10 :30 p.m. I used standard ground shipping (free) and I already have it.

Just waiting on the new iMac I ordered with it.:D

13. Gelfin macrumors 68020

Gelfin

It was expensive, but my iPod was one of the best four hundred bucks I've ever spent. I listen to my music more, because it's not a matter of picking out which music goes with me before I go. I frequently like to put the entire contents of the iPod on shuffle play, and it's like having a radio station that plays only stuff I like. The value of the small size cannot be overestimated. When I can carry it around in a tee shirt pocket, it passes the portability test. This is the only music player I've ever seen where I don't feel like I'm making unpleasant compromises, and that is WELL worth a higher price tag to me.

And as far as a belt clip, Xtreme Mac (www.xtrememac.com) was the only vendor at MWSF with an iPod case, and they were creating a little traffic jam on the floor. It was like a feeding frenzy over there. I got one of the bundles they show on the site and it's really good quality stuff. I'm impressed with it. The belt clip mechanism is sturdier than any of the similar clips I've had for cell phones in the past, and the case itself fits like a glove. The bundle seemed a little expensive, but for the quality and design that went into it, it seems like the ideal slightly-expensive-but-high-quality case for my slightly-expensive-but-high-quality MP3 player.

14. rekras macrumors regular

Re: Shipping fact, or just rumor??

how is it???:confused:

15. spikey macrumors 6502a

Any1 think there will be a discount for ipod + imac deal anytime soon?

16. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

even though I feel u get a lot for the price of the new iMac....I think it would be a good idea to give at least a price break on an iPod....I can't see Apple offering the things for free with the purchase of a new iMac....they might as well knock down the price $400 less & offer nothing....