Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Legolamb

macrumors 6502a
Nov 27, 2006
North of where I'd like to be
And so goes the ramblings of an old, grumpy man. No less, no more.
irmongoose
...or really threatened visual artist. On the other hand, I'm finding less and less art-on-wall paintings leave me cold. Apart from Old Master drawings and Matisse, Monet's Water Lilies, very little visual art moves me anymore. I feel like going up to them and clicking to make something happen.:p

Henri Gaudier

macrumors 6502a
May 4, 2005
France
It superficially makes sense but he's wrong. 40 years ago was there a dip in "observation" due to the arrival of the mini-skirt? Or did landscapes decline whilst knickers and legs increased? I don't have an ipod or anything else but years ago I had several profound experiences with a tape Walkman. One was being in hospital and not able to sleep I sat in a corridor nurse's station in the dark listening to Popol Vuh. The music has quickening heartbeat drums and eerie effects as it portrays the soul leaving the body and travelling to the other world. I think it was called In the garden of the Pharoes A few doors down the corridor a man was dying and eventually after the rush of nurses a metal coffin came for him and it clicked down the corridor. The light falling from the door, the darkness, the immense hospital, heightened by the music I practically felt his soul flying down the corridor. It was intense and obviously still lives with me today. I'm using that in a script I'm working on and that incident was about 20 years ago. Hopefully it will be made visual again. He's a daft old man addled by genuflecting critics and the like. Big trees ... so what? A Californian swimming pool? Looks like he needs to start having a good look around.

Bobdude161

macrumors 65816
Mar 12, 2006
N'Albany, Indiana
"I think we are not in a very visual age and it's producing badly dressed people...."

WTF is this?!?!? That's totally not conceited!!

This quote reminds me of a Bruno clip in the Ali G show where "Bruno" interviews a "fashion-savvy" prick that says that fashion saves more lives than doctors.

teleromeo

macrumors 65816
Dec 2, 2006
kidnapped by aliens
So this decline started more than 30 years ago when sony introduced the walkman ?
This is real nonsense. When there's something that is to blame it's maybe digital photography but not mp3. Most of us shoot more pictures than when they had to buy film and they have less physical prints.
And even then I truely believe that artists can be more creative with up to date technology.

n-abounds

macrumors 6502a
Mar 6, 2006
Hmm I feel that we are in a MORE visual age. And my opinion is worth at least as much as that dude's. :D

We are inundated with all sorts of visual media. There are constant advertisements everywhere, videos in the palm of our hands, people watch more tv and movies than ever, and I would say that in current society, appearance matters more than ever. Perhaps we are becoming desensitized to visual things, but this is definitely a visual age.

localoid

macrumors 68020
Feb 20, 2007
America's Third World
Hmm I feel that we are in a MORE visual age. And my opinion is worth at least as much as that dude's. :D

We are inundated with all sorts of visual media. There are constant advertisements everywhere, videos in the palm of our hands, people watch more tv and movies than ever, and I would say that in current society, appearance matters more than ever. Perhaps we are becoming desensitized to visual things, but this is definitely a visual age.

Personal devices like the iPod simply allow people to temporarily "tune out" whatever is around them, be it sounds or sights. That "escape" is what freaks weird old farts like this guy out. To him that an anti-social act. It's not right. It must be evil. How dare someone do something in front of him that he doesn't like. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

He rationalizes his rage against the iPod as being "about art," but it's really about this guy's hang-up(s)... "He has issues." :p

floriflee

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2004
Maybe next he'll blame the iPod for those awful digital pictures they now sell at the carts in the mall.

tutubibi

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2003
localhost
He is basically right but on the other hand that's normal progression of society, things change. On the same note, iPod (and other gadgets) are definitely contributing to the "estrangement of man from man" (Karl Marx).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.