iPods USB 1.1 Compatible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by meanmusic, Jan 10, 2004.

1. meanmusic macrumors member

HI,
    I'm looking to buy an iPod for my PC. The USB ports are not 2.0 but rather 1.1 can the IPod still work on my PC?

2. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

It should work, just at usb 1.1 speed. But I never used and ipod, so I can't be 100%.

3. jaesk8er macrumors member

jaesk8er

I realy dont think you can this is from apples Spec Sheet
    Stores data via FireWire or USB 2.0(3) hard drive

Sorry no USB 1.1 (to slow)

4. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

USB2 cards are dirt cheap. Just pick one up. You'd be waiting all day to sync your iPod on USB 1.1.

5. kidA macrumors regular

it would work--USB 2.0 is backwards compatible to 1.1--albeit very very slowly. you can just buy a firewire or USB 2.0 pci card for your PC for dirt cheap (like less than $40 name brand, less than $15 if you're ok with generic).

6. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

why not pick up a FW card for you PC? that way you won't need to buy the FW to USB convertor

7. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Not sure if it's possible but it's definately very unintelligent to try and use it with USB 1.1. 5 gigs of music would take hours to transfer.

8. kidA macrumors regular

yeah, with USB 1.1 you're probably doing 1 GB every hour or so at the very best. if you've got a 40 GB iPod, you can plan on taking more almost 2 days days to fill it.
    i would say the best option is to buy an FW card, that's probably the most potentially trouble free option.

9. meanmusic thread starter macrumors member

The Apple knowledge base mentions it could work but is not a good idea. No problem. Planning to get a Firewire card.

Thanks