ipods which one is better?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by bokdol, May 28, 2003.

1. bokdol macrumors 6502a

bokdol

i was wondering if you guys think the new ipods are better then the old ones and why? i am in the market for one and was just wondering about which one to get.new 15 or old 20.

2. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

get the new one, unless you really need the extra 5 gb (15 new vs. 20 old) and/or 20 gb is sold at a substantial discount.

i have the 10gb (new) and it's so slick, it's amazing. "feels" lighter/smoother than the old ipod too. backlit buttons and no external moving parts are a big plus.

i know old ipods have their fans, but i don't think you'll be disappointed by the new ones either.

3. MacBoyX macrumors 6502

MacBoyX

I had a 10GB "old" iPod and I had some major reservations about getting a new one. I went and played with one, and I sold mine right away. It ROCKS! It's thinner and lighter and easier to carry around. I like the touch sensitive buttons and haven't had any of the "popping" issues others have mentioned.

I say get a new one. It's worth it!

MacBoyX

4. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

The new ones for sure! My girlfriend just got one and it makes my 5 Gig look like a dinosaur. I was totally happy with it, now it feels like a big ugly brick I have to carry around. The new ones rule.

5. yzedf macrumors 65816

yzedf

Go for the old one... $199 for the 10GB from Apple (refurb), with 1 year limited warranty!

6. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

i don't think he wants a 10, he is looking at the 15 and 20.

i would recommend the 15; the features and size will make a difference. especially the size. that 20 GB model is really thick compared to even my 30 GB iPod. the 15 GB would be a lot more portable.

7. evil macrumors 6502

when thinking about getting the new version....there are rumors about having updates and new features concerning the recording function ....so if that is important to you you may want the new ones

8. vwcruisn macrumors regular

I had the old 20, and i traded up for the new 30... i love the new one.. i just wish the buttons werent so sensitive... but that aside... the size and functionality are far superior to the older models

9. thekaiser macrumors member

I have a 15...it rules. I listen to it at work and while working out. I find it easy to use and a great conversation starter. I would get the new one. Good luck!

10. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

the buttons do take some getting used to, as you can press them without even realizing it, but i got to where i kinda like that. it's like learning a one-button trackpad--i had to learn to use ctrl. it took me maybe a week to get well used to it, and now it's just totally natural. i laugh at the people that bitch about one button mice now. i hate having 2 buttons on trackpads. on a mouse i am ok with 1 or 2, but on laptops... i just click down there. sometimes i accidentally right click, and other times i hit ctrl + click and sit there for a second wondering where the hell the contextual menu is. it's funny. things just take some getting used to i guess.

11. Datazoid macrumors regular

This is off-topic, but I completely agree with you about the 1 vs 2 button mouse. I mean, come on, if one hand is on the mouse, where's the other one? Or maybe I don't want the answer to that question...

12. senseibiz macrumors regular

I Purchased the 5 gig when it came out, and I just purchased the new ipod 30 gig.
    In having both, I have to go with the new one. I really like the no moving buttons, compared to the 5 gig. sometimes dirt used to get in between the wheel. I also like the new features, notes, on the go playlist feature and so on....

13. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

15 Gb 3G iPod...
    go and buy it, it wont let you down..

14. Brain macrumors newbie

Go with the New One

I had an original 5, but ugraded to a new 30, and all I can say is go with the new ones! They are far better all the way around

15. toughboy macrumors 6502a

toughboy

Go for the 15 Gb 3G iPod...

I have the 10Gb 2G, and as much as I can see, 15gb 3G makes a lot of difference...

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Remember when the drawings of the new iPods were released, which showed the new buttons?? People here said that they would stick with their old iPod because the old iPods were probably nicer to handle. Now look what has happened in 2 months time. ;)