iPods will not update

Discussion in 'iPod' started by dsharits, Dec 7, 2005.

1. dsharits macrumors 68000

dsharits

I have two 3rd generation iPods (15 GB, 20 GB) and neither of them will update from my iTunes library (6.0.1) on my Power Mac. I have tried restoring them, I have tried different cables, nothing works. I plug one in, it goes through the usual routine of opening iTunes and saying "Updating iPod, Do Not Disconnect", but it uploads maybe three songs and then hangs forever. I then have to unplug the iPod and force quit iTunes. I plugged both of them into my iBook and they updated fine, but my iBook has a different iTunes library. Does anyone have any clue as to what might be the problem? I have already run the hardware test cd on my Power Mac, and the firewire ports seem to be ok. I also use an iSight on one of the firewire ports, and I have tried it in both ports to make sure one isn't bad. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

3. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

Done it many times. Thanks for the suggestion, though. :)

4. Josh396 macrumors 65816

Josh396

Did you try USB just to see if that would work?

5. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

I don't have a USB iPod cable or else I would try that.

6. alexstein macrumors 6502a

alexstein

I use the stuff in my sig with iTunes 6.0.1(3) (whatever that 3 means). No problems whatsoever.

What kind of firmware are you using with your iPods. Maybe run the iPod updater one more time.

7. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

I'm running the latest version on both, and I have restored/updated several times.

8. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Maybe take the iSight out because the second Firewire port (for the iPod) may not be getting enough power. Then try deleting the com.apple.iPod.plist files if that doesn't work. :)

9. AshVanHaven macrumors newbie

Are you Using a Dock?>

I had exactly the same problem with a 15GB iPod. It also happened using a USB cable instead of a FireWire. Seems the problem only was the dock, though I haven't tried the dock and my powerbook just in my iMac. Try it without the iPod dock if you are using one...

10. dsharits thread starter macrumors 68000

dsharits

YES!! Deleting the .plist files did it! Now it's working great with both of them. As for the suggestion with the dock, yes I am using one, and I had thought of that earlier, but apparently it wasn't an issue. Anyway, thank you so much, mad jew. I appreciate everyone's help and suggestions. :)

11. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Brilliant, I'm glad it's all working. I knew I should have had more faith in the Power Mac FireWire power management. :p