ipods

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by me hate windows, Jan 23, 2002.

?

do you have an ipod

1. yes

22 vote(s)
    31.4%
  2. no

2 vote(s)
    2.9%
  3. no, dont have the money

13 vote(s)
    18.6%
  4. no, they suck

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. no, wish i did

33 vote(s)
    47.1%
  6. yes, but it sucks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. me hate windows macrumors 6502

me hate windows

anyone have ipods? if so, how do you like them?

2. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

$400 still seems to be a little too much for me to spend on an iPod still....

3. me hate windows thread starter macrumors 6502

me hate windows

go to ebay and you can get them for about 300. Thats where I got mine
    :p

4. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

when I film my bmx/skate videos it gets me hyped and I go for more stuff and sitting on trains I listen to music

$400 is a bit much but if you can afford then go get one

5. OKComputer macrumors 6502

iPod

400 is a bit steep, but once its done you dont think about it. you can go to the education store and get a discount down to 369. I got mine. I have about 700 songs on it currently. so I listen to hours of music and use the HD part to transfer large projects to class. good deal. GREAT product

6. Hemingray macrumors 68030

Hemingray

One of my students brought an iPod into class a few weeks ago. What a cool little thing! If I had the extra money I would buy one. But as it stands, I don't, so I won't be getting one. I suspect later this year (late 2002?) they'll update it somehow, so then either I'll get more for my money, or I can pick up one of the older ones for less money.

At this point, it seems like too much of a luxury to justify its price tag.

Someday! [sigh, wish]

7. bond2 macrumors newbie

iPod Rules!!

I got one for Christmas, so I didn't have to spend the $369 on one. Although I would have. I love this thing. I have 800 of my favorite songs on it, all my important docs and appz on it. As a bonus I have audio inputs in my car so whenever i am traveling i just turn on the Pod and I can shuffle through 800 songs or any of my Playlists. This is worth every penny believe me. I am always shopping for the best deal, but no other mp3 player even compares, and if you go spend $199 on a jukebox or something you'll regret it no doubt about it. Don't wait for a new model, b/c they won't be coming till next Christmas I bet (or whenever the price of toshiba's new drives come down), anyways these things are selling great, so i doubt Apple will make any changes soon.

8. sockdoggy macrumors regular

It's just like the iSub, sound sticks, and the Cinema display... they never get updated, they just get cheaper.

My 2 cents

[Just read the forum on the new toshiba drives, oh well :p]

9. StealthRider macrumors 65816

StealthRider

.....As I recall, the soundsticks were develpoed by Harmon-Kardon, not Apple.................

10. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

I don't have an iPod (yet). I'm slowly saving up my money. Right now, I have $115 in my iPod fund. I'm planning to get it through the education store, since I am enrolled in a college.

I'm not sure if Apple will just make the iPods cheaper or what. The only thing I'm sure of is that Apple can make the iPod better. You can't really do that with the cinema display, since it's allready pretty big. The iPod, though, can get a bigger HD, a better screen (color, with visuals!), and other little stuff. Apple can do this, and bring down the price of the original. That would be nice, although I would probably save more to get the better one.

I'm on my way to iPodville!

11. me hate windows thread starter macrumors 6502

me hate windows

go to ebay!!!!!!!

If you haven't been listening you dont have to get it for $400!!!!!!!!!!!!!.
    Just go to ebay and get it for $300

12. sweetaction macrumors regular

take it to kinkos

forget zip disks! I do silkscreening and print transparencies at kinkos. I just take the iPod down and plug it in and access my files. The crew there thought that was pretty rad and that "more and more people are bringing them in" Go apple!

13. sockdoggy macrumors regular

Yeah, I was trying to get other hardware to back up my statement other than the Cinema display.

14. greenplasticcup macrumors member

mine just arrived today

i just got mine today. Woo hoo! very exciting. I like it, it's charging right now, I'm about to go running, maybe I'll bring it.

I used ebay. I couldn't find one for 300, but got it for 350, not bad I guess.

I highly recommend them!

15. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Well, if you remember, the Cinema display has gone through 2 revisions so far (originally used the DVI connection and power supply, now just the ADC). I would be rather surprised if Apple doesn't come out with a Rev B of the iPod at some point within the next year or so. Either increasing the hard drive size (as they get cheaper and larger in storage), or maybe making the display color. If they did go color, how cool would it be to have the iTunes visuals playing on the iPod as you took the pooch for a walk??? :D

I would expect the price of whatever the latest version is to remain what it is now. That is more in line with what Apple does for pricing...

I was going to get an iPod, but then I decided to put the $$ into something that I know I will use more... a new motorcycle :D. Getting a new Harley in March, so my money has to go towards that for now...

Apple and Harley have a few things in common... 1) Quality product, 2) Cost more then the competition, but you get better for the money, and 3) People always know what you have with just a glance. How many pc's can you tell apart just by looking at them from a distance??? Put a Mac in the mix, and I would bet good money at least 90% of the people will know what it is (even if only as from Apple or a Mac).

Peace

16. sweetaction macrumors regular

visuals?

have you ever stared at you walkman/discman when it was playing? visuals would just waste battery life.

17. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

True, but I would hope that Apple could pull it off. Even if it reduced the play time from 10 hours to 8 or 9 I would accept it. I think it would be nice to have the option, that way you can have it if you want, or not. Maybe have it disabled by default, and let people turn it on if/when they want it.

Just my $ worth.

18. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

visuals

I agree....

although interesting....

visuals on your iPod would be such a waste!!!

19. Yuk-Monkey macrumors newbie

iPod = Greatness

I got one for Christmas too. Can't believe I lived this long without something like this! I thought I had audio inputs on my new aftermarket car stereo, turns out I was wrong so I got one of those FM transmitter things where you turn your radio to 88.3FM or whatever, and it works great (to my amazement). Works out better anyway, because now I can take it in my wife's car, my friend's cars etc. The unit is pretty stout too. Since I haven't installed a proper mounting position in my car, I've just been laying it on the seat, and several times it has sutained falls onto the floorboard, jolts, briefcase falling on it etc. and it has yet to miss a beat. Two thums up...WAY UP!!

20. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Great to hear real world reviews about it... Now I will have to re-consider. I have thought about replacing the tape deck in the truck with a cd, but wanted to have the option later for the iPod. Now I will do the cd upgrade, and then get the iPod when I can justify the price, or it goes down, or gets even better.

Thanks for the 411.

21. cpk0 macrumors newbie

I think mabey we will see a lot new possibilities open up since we've got teh firewire. Yeah no one's gonna stare at their little 3" lcd or OLED screen, but why not have it plugged into a tv usign some little converter wire that will display the visualizations there? And i'd love to see someone, 'specially apple, release one of those in-line wired remotes that uses firewire, itd have a wee-little lcds screen, adn the 4 buttons, i thinkteh RioVolt has one.

Anyone else got some cool accessories that should be made?

22. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

How about if they added an IR port onto the iPod and allowed you to use a wireless remote?? Better yet, make something similar to airport for the iPod (iPort??) that allows for non-line-of-sight remotes to control it? Something like a universal remote (not the cheapies, but a good one) could control it. That way, you could put the iPod in your briefcase with the radio transmitter, and control it remotely. Maybe a steering wheel mounted controller??? That would be great, attach the item to the side of the steering wheel (where the cruse control sometimes goes) that would allow you to change songs with your thumbs.

With Apple, the possibilities are almost endless... all it takes is enough people to support the idea, and speak up about it. Let Apple know what we want, and if it is possible, it will happen.

23. Quark macrumors regular

ARRRGGGHHHH!!!

You guys are killing me!!!:D

I have the iPod, but I haven't used it yet. I've had it for two weeks now.

There's no music on it.

I don't have a Mac, yet,... I am waiting, very, very, patiently for my new iMac.

I have a couple of WinPCs :eek: and I know there is Beta software I can use to put music on the iPod, but I want the FULL, TRUE eXPerience of using it with iTunes 2.

:p I'm so envious of all of you!!

However,... I do like to sit and stare at it for awhile. It's nice...

am I pathetic or what:eek: !

24. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

A mini projector attachment!

<dream>
    Attaches through firewire, it projects visuals (like iTunes, except with a base of at least 30 fps.) onto a wall, or ceiling! That would be cool! Of course, realistically, it would be expensive, suck up battery power, and have a high probability of breakage, but it would be cool!
    </dream>

Seriously, a color touch-screen with an OS X look and feel would be nice. Then Apple could put in a small address book, and a to-do list. They could develop it until they created the Newton all over again! Actually, the apps on an iPod would be to much. It sounds like something M$ would do. "Adjust the temperature of your fridge with a mp3 player!"

There's only so much you can do with the iPod until you have a full fledged PDA. But, then again, a PDA the size of an iPod (full screen in front) would be interesting. (can you say iWalk 2? :D )

<serious>
    OK, I'll sum it all up. Color touch-screen (if touch, finger taps, no stylus. But if it doesn't have a touch screen, it's okay, i'm cool with the scroll wheel) with OS X look and feel. It could also have an option to change the UI if the user doesn't like aqua. a 10gb HD would be nice too. I like the size and feel of it, because it stresses simplicity over complexity. I still think visuals would be cool, just for fun, even if they're not real fancy, it would be nice and i'm sure some people would appreciate it. Removable, interchangable face plates would be cool to, like on cell phones (knowing Apple, though, this will probably never happen).
    </serious>

Oh well, I'm still on my way to iPodville!

25. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

I wouldn't use the word pathetic.. patient maybe.

You know what you wanted, you got it, ordered a Mac (always a good move) and now want it (just as we all do when we order up our new ones). You are correct to wait for the Mac to get the complete experience.

Even though I haven't tried the pc version of the software, I wouldn't want to.

Even when I sell my G4 tower (sniff, the money is needed for the Harley fund), I will NOT release my TiBook (500MHz/Rev. A). I will probably have to get a FireWire hub when the tower is gone, so that I can have my scanner, cd-rw drive, iBot, and then iPod all connected at the same time. The only item that I MIGHT consider puttin on the pc is the iBot. Only because, I don't use the iBot all that often, nor the pc. It has been over 2 weeks since that thing has been turned on. I use the Mac's every day. I haven't even bothered to set up my printer on that thing. Both Mac's are configured to use it though.

Then again, as in my sig., the pc has 1 purpose in this world... to play the games that are not available for the Mac, and that I don't want to do without. I just wish the game makers would port the games over to the Mac faster, or release them at the same time. I remember a few that did that, I even have some of them. It's great, you buy one package and can play it in any system. Makes good business sense too, one cd covers two platforms... You don't have to set up a different production run for each platform. I could try VPC to do it, but the games I really like, are both resource hogs, and require high end speed (both video cards and system). The emulators are just not good enough. If they would utilize the true capability of the G4 (or G5 whenever it arrives) and give us speed to burn then I would go that way. I have been burned before by emulators, which is why I go for a complete system.

I have seen the SoftMac emulator that is supposed to put a Mac onto the pc. I have never tried it, nor seen it in action. Has anyone else??? I would be interested to know how well it handles things. At this point, if I need to move files, I burn cd's of them and put them to the pc. Anything worth doing I do on a Mac.

Here's hoping that Apple is around for at least another 25 years.... and that m$ is in the grave before that.