iPods!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by neffedo, Oct 17, 2004.

1. neffedo macrumors member

For those of you who have iPods, what generation do you have? How attached are you to it? If you could, would you upgrade it (if it's an older one)?

2. haiggy macrumors 65816

I have a 3G 15 GB iPod and I love it. I think the click wheel on the 4G iPods may look nicer but I don't like it. If I could I would get a 40GB 3G iPod if I had the money seeing as I have 3 GB left on my 15.

Just to add something off topic, look what I found: http://features.engadget.com/entry/6336778455600767/

3. raynegus macrumors regular

I have a 3G 30GB. Bought it new and love it as much as the day I bought it. Rip from a good source at 256 kbps AAC and listen with an inexpensive pair of Grado SR80 headphones and you will be in audio heaven.

My wife has a 3G 40GB which she uses daily. The capacity is maxed and she really needs a 60GB. She is pretty rough on it but it is still going strong.

I'd like to try a 4G 40GB for myself and see if there are any subtle differences in audio quality. For home use I use a Grado RA1-AC headphone amp with Grado RS-1 headphones with Zu Pivot as an interconnect. I'd test the 4G before selling my 3G just to make sure everything checks out audio-wise. FYI, I like the eq on bass booster and sound check off. Avoid raising the highs as the Grados are naturally bright.

4. kronos2611 macrumors member

1st Generation 5Gb iPod - back from the day when it was Mac Only. It's been a fantastic 2ish years and still going well. The battery life has gone down a bit but I still get a good 6-7 hours.

Unfortunately it's nowhere near large enough to store my library - so I'm forced to stick to a few well chosen playlists. However I've been reluctant to upgrade as my current iPod has been so reliable. Biggest problem now of course is that all these shiny new toys and addons aren't compatible with my model :-( However it spends most of it's days plugged into my car stereo so I suppose I can't live without the new toys

5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I have a third generation iPod. I think it's a very nice device, but I'm not particularly attached to it. I don't often spend much time away from home or car, and I don't need it in either of those places.

6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

Macmaniac

My sister has a 3rd gen 10gb which is half full. I have a 40gb 4th gen which has a lot of space on it. I even installed 10.3 on to it for emergencies.

7. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

1G 5GB iPod...but it is getting close to full! :eek:

Still going strong, and I've dropped it a few times...hehe...built like a tank!
    For some reason, it doesn't play stereo in the Apple earbuds around the house (mom's/dad's) but it plays stereo though anything else. :confused:
    Doesn't matter, the originals broke years ago.
    (BTW, the Apple Stores can special order JUST the earbuds for $15 instead of the combo earbud/remote for $45...good deal if you don't use the remote or have a 1G or a 2G iPod)

8. King Cobra macrumors 603

1st place Breakout 5GB iPod with display replaced, plenty of scratches, and serious problems with using it as a Firewire Hard Drive (sometimes can't get data out of it due to -36 errors) that nobody else seems to have.

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

15gb 3g and i seriously regret not getting a pink mini. not especially scratched, and the only reason im glad i got the bigger one is because i have about 3gb of data on it but only 1.2gb of music. im still quite attached to it :) and wouldn't buy another brand of mp3 player again.

10. musicpyrite macrumors 68000

musicpyrite

11. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

4G 20 Gig and I've had it for three weeks. I love it and use it probably 5 days a week. I have 3 audio books on it and record 2-3 times a week from various German news sources. It's a great way to keep up on language skills and the slow down/speed up function is very cool. I got a Contour case for it in white and it's great although I still have managed to get a few scratches on it. I've only got about 4 gigs of music on it. My next purchase is an external hard drive so I can rip the rest of my cds. A friend has a 3G and I like mine better than his, the wheel seems more intuitive.

12. CubaTBird macrumors 68020

15 gb 3rd gen, used up about 6.5 gigs, works great.. has an evo case with screen protector so its all good. great sound too, one would think the earbuds would produce really crappy sound but i guess not. battery still good, i use it in manual mode in conjuction with itunes :)

13. Royal Pineapple macrumors 65816

Royal Pineapple

2nd gen 10 gig (broken, but works as a FW HD)
    3rd gen 40 gig
    no upgrades in the near furure

14. markh macrumors member

My GF and I both have ipod mini's. (Pink & Silver). My music collection is around 9Gb (120 odd cds ripped at 192kbs AAC). I love the mini because its just so small to carry around in my pocket. Maybe someday, I'll end up with a larger capacity one, but now, dont need it

15. Windowlicker macrumors 6502a

Windowlicker

3G 15Gb here. I've had it for a little over a year now and couldn't think a life without it.

I had OSX on it for some time so that I was able to load my own settings and such when using other osx computers. but it wasn't so handy and there weren't too many computers I would use it with so I just deleted the system and got more space for music.

16. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

i have a 3rd gen 15gig and i love it, use it in my car(wired so no quality issues) and its connected to my computer speakers as through the dock at home, so it gets a lot of use, but im getting close to full, and i wouldnt mind an upgrade, if i could afford it, guess ill have to wait for a couple of more revisions before getting a new one...

17. russed macrumors 68000

russed

3g 20gb about 3/4 full with music and the rest of it has all my work backed up on it. i use it most days and it is still going strong. the battery has been pretty dodgy since i had it. i sent it back but it still has the same problem and also it keeps resetting itself. i cant be bothered to send it back again as i cant really do without it. all i have to do is charge it every night which is not too bad. oh also the headphones broke and the lead from the remote is starting to go. oh well it gets used loads.

i would like a nice new 4g expecially as i dont like the play buttons etc on the 3g as they dont work so well but i cant really justify spending that much on a new one.

im not really complaining about it, i love mine and would hate not to have it!

18. zyuzin4 macrumors 6502

I have a 2G 10GB iPod that I bought new in November 2002. I don't think I would sell it because it would be good for use in the car and it wouldn't be too bad if it got stolen. I do, however, want to upgrade to a 4G but my music library is 42 GB so I want to wait for a 60 GB iPod.

I love the popularity the iPod has given apple, but I totally lost my coolness factor by having the 1G in 2001 when no one had them

edit: oh right...no battery problems on this baby coming up on 2 years