ip's, and ports, and servers and routers....

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by jelloshotsrule, Jul 23, 2002.

1. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

question for anyone who knows about routers and ports especially in conjunction with kdx.

with my router at home (cable modem to airport through the d-link router), i can set up which ports i want to have open for specific computers on the network. so i set mine up to be open at all ports. well, this slows my connection down to nothing even when nothing's going on, not to mention opening me up to security issues. with the router then i can only choose which "types" to allow through. eg. ftp, web, irc, telnet, etc. i can't specify specific port numbers. however, knowing the port numbers of some of these, i chose telnet (port 23)... so then i started up kdx server. got on the client and changed the settings to port 23. restarted the server. and now it gives me an error when starting up. changed it to ftp (21) and same thing happened...

while having all the ports opened would work since i just need to get some movie files to my bro and be done with it, i would rather have just the one port going, and have him connect to kdx through that.

sorry if it's all hard to understand. but if anyone can help, that'd be great.

thanks a ton.

2. G4scott macrumors 68020

G4scott

so you want to have just a certain port open to your computer from outside your network, right?

I have a SMC router, and I can configure it with something called a "virtual server" where I can specify an IP address, it's public port (port used to access it from outside the network) and it's private port (actual port on the computer within the network) I'm not sure if that's what you're trying to do or not...

3. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

yeah, that's what i want to do, and i can do the same thing you said you do with your router, though i can only select presets such as ftp, web, etc...

the problem is more within the program, kdx, which for some reason won't start up the server if i change the port it uses.....

4. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

ewww, kdx, eww. How can you be so stupid. Carracho is much better :)

5. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well i guess i shoudl try that......

i just need to get some freaking movies to my bro and thought this would be easy. of course, it hasn't been... blah

6. balliet macrumors member

Re: ip's, and ports, and servers and routers....

Any port < 1024 can only be bound to by root. Thats probably why you get the error there. (Note, your admin account is not the same as root). I'd see if your d-link box allows you to forward something on a port >= 1024 and try that. You could try running your kdx server as root, as a temporary solution, but i wouldn't do that all the time.

(Also, I'm assuming you are running os x, under os 9 none of this applies)

7. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

Re: Re: ip's, and ports, and servers and routers....

that sounds like it'd work.... but let me ask you this... do you know of any "standard" protocols (along the lines of ftp, pop, etc) that's higher than 1024???

here are the options i have.... i can't specify just any port. which sucks... my bro's d-link is a bit different and he can specify..... hmm. any of these higher than 1024?

thanks a lot for the help

Attached Files:

8. balliet macrumors member

Re: Re: Re: ip's, and ports, and servers and routers....

Wow, thats pretty limiting...

HTTP is 80, SMTP is 25, POP3 is 110, FTP is 21, TELNET is 23, and IRC is probably 6667. I've seen irc servers running on a wide range of ports, but 6667 seems to be the most common (thats also whats in my /etc/services on my linux box). I'd try setting kdx to 6667 and picking the IRC option. Good luck

-Brian

9. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well the good news is... you were right on about the port number and whatnot.... when i changed kdx to 6667, it worked properly.

however, i guess the irc port my router is specifying is not 6667.... i guess there must be a way to find out which it is, but i havne't found it yet....

hmmmmmm.

10. balliet macrumors member

Hmm.. are you sure its trying to forward to your computer. There is probably someplace where you specify what INTERNAL ip to send requestst to. Make sure thats right. Also, i'm not familiar with kdx, but it may not work through a router like this. Some programs make assumptions about the connections that don't hold true with a setup like this.

In one of your first posts you said you just needed to get some movies to your brother, if thats all you need to do you could just use the web server (apache) built into os x. HTTP should work flawlessly though your router. You could probably even use AIM or ICQ or something.

-Brian

11. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well from what i had done, and what had and hadn't worked, i figured i just needed to know which port number my router is using for "irc". i emailed the company and asked. should hear back within 24hours (they claim)....

as for the http through apache... sorry to be dumb, but can you give a few more details? would i also then need to go and open up port (http port?) etc?

thanks a ton. at least i'm learning something, even if it is a bit frustrating!

12. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

hmm. that site lists irc in the 100s.... which wouldn't allow it to work with what i need... ie, 1024+...

guess i'll have to go the apache route... fill me in!

thanks for the link

13. balliet macrumors member

I'm at work now (and running 2k), and I have also never setup my mac at home to be a web server, but I think all you have to do is check the "web sharing" checkbox in system preferences. I don't know off the top of my head where the root directory of the web server is, but it shouldn't be too hard to figure out. (I seem to remember /Library/Webserver or something from somewhere).

Then just setup your router to forward HTTP to your mac and have your friend visit "http://your.ip.add.ress/somedirwiththemoves" in his browser.

-Brian

14. jelloshotsrule thread starter macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

alright, will give that a try sometime.... i eventually just opened all the ports for him to get the stuff and be done with it..... it slows down my connection considerably as i said, in fact, on my computer i can't do anything, literally, via the net. though on another computer (my parents') on the network, things are just a bit slow...

ps. i got a response from the router folks. they said irc is "529 tcp and udp"... so it's not 1024 clearly. i responded and asked if there was any setting to open a port above 1024... may as well see what options i'd have for the future

thanks again for all the help. i appreciate it.