IPs and Such

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cmaracz88, May 24, 2005.

1. cmaracz88 macrumors member

I am a fan of going to http://www.thehungersite.com where you can click on links which take you to a non-pop-up page of ads that pay money in turn donated to charities iworking towards various causes. Now, the site I believe advertises that you can click on it once a day, as in clicking a second time for the same cause on the same page won't do anything. I'm wonderigg though, what do they use to trck this, cookies or ip (simply by guessing in terms of what's popular now, I'm not asking anyone to actually do research on this) and if ip then what changes the ip?:

I go to thehungersite.com on my home comptuer and when I'm on my account at school wherin you log into your account on any of various machines. My home network has two computers, do you think doing it on both would have an affect or would they be all one ip as they go through the same modem via a router? And at school, would it be my account or the computer I'm on that determined ip (as in would logging in on a different comp work, or using a different login on the same comp) or is it all one ip anyways?

2. ac2102 macrumors member

ac2102

If it is cookies, you could check this by turning off accepting cookies in the Safari prefs.

I think it is generally the IP that is used in these cases. For example, on Mac Polls (see Macrumors front page) i believe that it is the IP that is logged, so that each person can only vote once.

If this is the case, then your two home computers will have the same IP and, depending on how extensive your school network is, your school network probably has only one IP address too. You can find out buy going to whatismyip.com and checking if it is the same for more than one computer.

It all depends on the external IP address, not the individual computer.

Hope that helps,

-ac2102

3. cmaracz88 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks, and thanks for the link. :)

Also, remmber to check out and go to thehungersite.com regularly. :)